What's new

Orchestral Tools - Monolith by Richard Harvey (AIR Studios)

There are probably a few like me who might pick one patch up a la carte to start with. For the early adopters and demo makers; any patch that stands out to you?

Nobody seems willing to confirm this yet. Not sure why.
It is not particularly consistent to what I'd prefer a library to be. You can get very stumbly phrases sometimes in certain cases and that is just no good. Overall I'd say about 80-90% of it is ok. Within the dynamic layer you're in you will notice some definite variation between the 6 rr's available. How problematic will this end up? I am not sure, but if you're trying to stay between one or two dynamics, you're not going to get much of a purposefully rigid bed of percussion from it, it will be looser most of the time.

There are probably a few like me who might pick one patch up a la carte to start with. For the early adopters and demo makers; any patch that stands out to you?
Processed instruments menu

Last edited:
I always wanted to get HZ Percussion someday, been waiting for a good sale))) Now comes this..! Is there anyone here who has both and can compare?? :)
I'd say this sounds more "present" than the base version/ Hans Zimmer mixes of HZ Perc, but the Professional Version's Alan Meyersen and JunkieXL mixes do the detail/"forward" sound just as well as the demos seem to indicate in Monolith.

I'd definitely recommend checking out the "Comparing Mixes" video on the HZ Perc Professional page.

HZ Perc is more expensive but also includes a very good Timpani, good Snare and Buckets and good metals and a tamtam. So you can pretty easily do a full "epic"/action percussion track using it without having to pull in other libraries, whereas with Monolith, you'd need to find metals/snares elsewhere.

HZP has a darker sound, more rolled off, boomy and quite reverberant. Monolith I would say is more impactful, present, and a lot more definition in the close mics. But still plenty of the gorgeous hall as well. I would generally suggest Monolith first, then HZP if you wanted that specific flavor.
I disagree with this characterisation. To my ears, the Tom Meyerson and Junkie XL close mics/mixes in HZ Perc are every bit as present and defined as the demos of Monolith. I don't own Monolith, so I can't do a true side-by-side, but I'd only really say Monolith sounds more present/defined than the Hans Zimmer and Geoff Foster mixes/mics.

The differences in sound between the Foster, Zimmer and Meyerson mic setups is actually pretty incredible and almost sounds like 3 different libraries.

I would also say "which to buy first" is highly dependent on workflow and existing libraries.

HZP also has metals/tympani/snare/buckets, whereas Monolith would require pulling those in from other libraries. If you already have those things covered by other Sine Libraries, it's not a big deal, but if you don't, it would definitely make for a slower and less intuitive workflow.

Before making a buying decision between Hans Zimmer Percussion and this new OT library it’s worth remembering that there is something called biased and unbiased opinions.

When people have been making audio and/or video demo(s) for a company, they can pr. definition no longer be considered neutral in matters concerning that company, including when it comes to comparing a new product from this company (OT’s Monolith) with a similar product from a competing company (Spitfire’s HZP).

Not implying there’s anything wrong with having an opinion and sharing it, as long as people reading this thread are mindful about bias vs. unbias.

I'd say this sounds more "present" than the base version/ Hans Zimmer mixes of HZ Perc, but the Professional Version's Alan Meyersen and JunkieXL mixes do the detail/"forward" sound just as well as the demos seem to indicate in Monolith.

I'd definitely recommend checking out the "Comparing Mixes" video on the HZ Perc Professional page.

HZ Perc is more expensive but also includes a very good Timpani, good Snare and Buckets and good metals and a tamtam. So you can pretty easily do a full "epic"/action percussion track using it without having to pull in other libraries, whereas with Monolith, you'd need to find metals/snares elsewhere.
I disagree with this characterisation. To my ears, the Tom Meyerson and Junkie XL close mics/mixes in HZ Perc are every bit as present and defined as the demos of Monolith. I don't own Monolith, so I can't do a true side-by-side, but I'd only really say Monolith sounds more present/defined than the Hans Zimmer and Geoff Foster mixes/mics.

The differences in sound between the Foster, Zimmer and Meyerson mic setups is actually pretty incredible and almost sounds like 3 different libraries.

I would also say "which to buy first" is highly dependent on workflow and existing libraries.

HZP also has metals/tympani/snare/buckets, whereas Monolith would require pulling those in from other libraries. If you already have those things covered by other Sine Libraries, it's not a big deal, but if you don't, it would definitely make for a slower and less intuitive workflow.

I might just need to spend more time with Monolith but so far I still prefer HZP, it’s just a sound I know so well and have been working with for years now. The JXL mixes are the ones I’ve always used and right off the bat they’re much punchier and bigger sounding to my ears than Monolith is, but I’ll have to play around with the mic positions more before I make my full judgement on it

I might just need to spend more time with Monolith but so far I still prefer HZP, it’s just a sound I know so well and have been working with for years now. The JXL mixes are the ones I’ve always used and right off the bat they’re much punchier and bigger sounding to my ears than Monolith is, but I’ll have to play around with the mic positions more before I make my full judgement on it
How difficult is it to get the standard Hans Zimmer Mix to match JXL mixes? Any tips on how to get there?

I guess I will be the 1st person to gripe a little bit.
My first impression is although it sounds great,for me it sounds way too ambient with the percussion swimming in the room.
A question for anyone who has actually used this can you effectively get this sounding more punchy,less of the Air room with microphone choices?
For me it’s just too much room, I want more attack.
Thanks
The lack of high-end punch you're hearing might be due to the fact they've used leather heads on the drums rather than plastic. Fear not though - have you listened to the processed presets? I think you'll find what you're looking for in there;

How difficult is it to get the standard Hans Zimmer Mix to match JXL mixes? Any tips on how to get there?

Honestly never tried out the HZ mixes, I started using the JXL mixes as soon as I got it and stuck with those, but I could take a listen to both of them side by side and get back to you on how they differ and what things you could do to get similar results

You can't, really. You don't have access to the individual mics in the standard edition. You have to upgrade to Professional.

Before making a buying decision between Hans Zimmer Percussion and this new OT library it’s worth remembering that there is something called biased and unbiased opinions.

When people have been making audio and/or video demo(s) for a company, they can pr. definition no longer be considered neutral in matters concerning that company, including when it comes to comparing a new product from this company (OT’s Monolith) with a similar product from a competing company (Spitfire’s HZP).

Not implying there’s anything wrong with having an opinion and sharing it, as long as people reading this thread are mindful about bias vs. unbias.
100%. I assume all the guys doing official demos got paid (at least I hope none of them did it for free and/or for a free copy of the library!), and I also assume they would love to get paid again.

Reactions: AEF
With HZ01 you can.
Yes. HZ Professional is basically a repackage of HZ01 & HZ03. HZ Standard edition is a cut down version with all the instruments but only the Hans Zimmer Close/Room/Surround mixes. Which are wonderful, BTW, but not as "in your face" as the Meyerson and JunkieXL close mixes.

Honestly never tried out the HZ mixes, I started using the JXL mixes as soon as I got it and stuck with those, but I could take a listen to both of them side by side and get back to you on how they differ and what things you could do to get similar results
You should do so because some techniques are missing from the JXL mixes. All the mixes are different, and some instruments are so different that you could think they are entirely different instruments.

When you compare Monolith to HZP (Pro), you can hear that both are recorded in the same location. It has different instruments and playing techniques, but the distinct character of the hall is all over the samples. I don't mean that they're super wet. It's more like the character of the reflections shapes the basic tone similarly.

And, of course, both have different instruments and players. Yes, one could say that all big drums have the same sound anyway. But if you don't share that notion, there is not much overlap between those two libraries.

Last edited:
How do you deal with the pre-delay in the JXL samples? I don't remember if it were the individual mics or really the full JXL mixes, but with one of these there is an absurd pre-delay baked into the samples/patches which makes them near impossible to play in live.

You should do so because some techniques are missing from the JXL mixes. All the mixes are different, and some instruments are so different that you could think they are entirely different instruments.

When you compare Monolith to HZP (Pro), you can hear that both are recorded in the same location. It has different instruments and playing techniques, but the distinct character of the hall is all over the samples. I don't mean that they're super wet. It's more like the character of the reflections shapes the basic tone similarly.

And, of course, both have different instruments and players.

Definitely agree that you can really tell that the hall is the same between both libraries, and that’s a great thing as I just love that Air Lyndhurst sound and I’m glad it was captured well here and the libraries blend together very well. Also didn’t know there were missing techniques with the JXL mixes, thankfully that hasn’t been a problem for me as I find that the JXL mixes still have everything I need so I don’t feel like I’m missing anything

How do you deal with the pre-delay in the JXL samples? I don't remember if it were the individual mics or really the full JXL mixes, but with one of these there is an absurd pre-delay baked into the samples/patches which makes them near impossible to play in live.

I know exactly what you mean and yeah it’s not ideal, if I’m doing something like straight 16 notes where I need to be accurate the predelay can start to build up and really throw off my rhythm, but if it’s a slower backbeat where I have time in between the notes then I don’t really feel like it’s a huge issue

This is basically like LAMP if it was wetter and more ambient! Amazing stuff!!
That's my impression, too. LAMP is among my favorite percussion libraries because of its close, wide, impactful approach. While this seems closer to that than other things I've heard recorded at Air Lyndhurst (and admittedly all else that I can think of is from Spitfire), this is that little bit more ambient without getting lost in the room.

Top Bottom