What's new

Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 4 - Elite Orchestral Forces

Well, the woodwinds and the horns sounded good. But not Wow to me. The women's choir was nice. But the men's choir where they do the power Ah's? Sounds like aaa to me (don't know how to write phonetically with my computer). Not a nice sound. They should have done Oh. At least into the higher notes.

a few of us will 'take one for the team' to save you from a fluff purchase.

Hey man I say this coming from the standpoint of an owner of the first 3 Arks. I use them constantly. I don't feel like I would be able to get the same kind of general use out of this material.

It just feels a little too nebulous to be a front line, and a little too obvious to be a chamber music ensemble. I get that other people might feel totally differently.

Well, the woodwinds and the horns sounded good. But not Wow to me. The women's choir was nice. But the men's choir where they do the power Ah's? Sounds like aaa to me (don't know how to write phonetically with my computer). Not a nice sound. They should have done Oh. At least into the higher notes.
I prefer the mens choir. Sounds tropar.(russian)..Love the particular sound of the power ahh....

Think I'll pass on this one. A few thoughts from an utter noob

• String texture sounds nice and I like the overblown articulations. The power legato, while it sounds interesting seems not that useful in day to day tracks
  • Not a huge fan of these choirs, men especially feel too operatic for me
  • the winds and brass seem pretty nice but I think that's bordering on redundant to some stuff that I already have
  • Combinations sound interesting but not really sold on the idea. It seems like something you could essentially achieve manually with just a little more work
Overall I would say it sounds nice but not $400 nice. Just my humble opinion

Last edited:
I love some articulations, but things like combined patches or low strings playing in octaves bother me. I'd like some smaller library, like only strings with all those articulations to mix with and pepper my other libraries when needed, but there's so much material I don't want that I can't justify the purchase in any way.

The women sound ok to me, but the men, not so much, the balance doesn't seem right and though it might be great for a special effect, I imagine it getting tiresome when used much.

Good to see your early comments. Have you reviewed Part 2 sufficiently to offer more general assessment now of Ark 4 ….. in context with earlier Ark(s) discussions ?

Good to see your early comments. Have you reviewed Part 2 sufficiently to offer more general assessment now of Ark 4 ….. in context with earlier Ark(s) discussions ?
Not yet. I'm slammed today at work so won't be able to give it a good listen until tonight. These are my observations from chapter 1. The men definitely had me worried already yesterday and the comments today haven't made me optimistic...

Not yet. I'm slammed today at work so won't be able to give it a good listen until tonight. These are my observations from chapter 1. The men definitely had me worried already yesterday and the comments today haven't made me optimistic...

IMO The other Arks have covered choir pretty well, these are more like additions with a smaller group just to add another texture to the palette. If your sole purpose is to get ARK4 for the choirs you probably won't be elated....:)

More interesting than Ark 3, but for me it's not even close to either Ark 1 or 2.
Like I said I'm probably the only one... Let me develop this:
I use the quintet in Ark3 all the time.
This string section sound even more useful to me.
I use the Ark1 strings all the time too but the 8vas piss me off half of the time.
This as the blurred without 8va and sound even more punchy. The vibrato in the power legato is beautiful!
The orchestration choices are tasteful and I can see plenty of use for them even in a JW type of score situation.
Good luck doing that with the first 3...
Kinda like a BHTK but with the Ark sound, yummy!!
Idk, it's just my opinion.

Am I the only one thinking that it might the best Ark yet...:unsure:
I really think it depends on what you are looking for. I have too much new stuff that I haven't had time to really play with. I don't need anything more, but when something really grabs me and is a great price, I get it. For me, this is not it.

Is it only me or does someone else find it funny that Spitfire releases a huge string section playing a tiny sound and OT releases tiny sections playing huge sounds? :sneaky:

Top Bottom