What's new

Orchestral Tools: Berlin Series on SINE now!

Listen to the strezov horns, which he programmed and produced many many years ago. No one seem to talk about them but imo remains the best FH legato, with insane dynamic range. The flutes are equally amazing
Never heard of those...
Will check them, thanks.

I just compared the Horns Ensemble Legato, its superior in SINE in every aspect.
First off all in kontakt its sluggish and the tails collide and smear... sine has NONE of that.
Kontakt has 3 layers p-mf-ff and SINE p-mf-f-ff. the kontakt ff sound more like f though it has a bit more full body sound that suit orchestral horns. in SINE the ff sounds like ff, the whole dynamic range is smooth. the attack is a bit better so its a bit more agile.. not Jasper agile lol

OT weren't kidding about recording "another layer"!
The sustain in kontakt again same 3 layers, in SINE 4 layers which go to real ff.
And on top of that there is another patch called Sustain Bold... which is a single FFF layer if you must want to do epic with OT :grin:
I own Berlin Strings and Berlin Woodwinds. For Brass, I've been using CSB and Infinite Brass. I'm considering completing my Berlin orchestra so I can make mockups that sound like their in the same space and do less work trying to mix things. I like the warm romantic tone and legato of the Berlin demos but held off buying them because I do like the option to be able to swell from quiet to very loud in a legato patch. Now that Berlin Brass is updated with a loud layer, do you think Berlin Brass can take the place of CSB in my work?

If you're even considering stuff on this level, definitely get the kontakt side-grade. Trust me, you will want it if you do any sort of under the hood modifications.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, after wating for the sine version I'll probably end up going the Kontakt route.

Can anyone confirm these two questions?:
1) If I own BB originally, do I get BF + cross grade price on the whole Berlin series?
2) If I do and then complete/buy the bundle, do I qualify for free Berklee orchestra?

Downloading the Horn ensemble ala carfte, interested in Trumpet and Bone Ensembles too. HAve you tried the Bones yet?
Bones are beautiful
The added layer is spot on

Btw, In general I'm more a sucker for good recorded sound and will tolerate playability/programming issues. those I can try and fix with programming and DAW tricks... but recorded tone? what is there is there.

I couldn't let this rest and just went a for while through the legatos of all the new sine ports comparing them to the kontakt counterparts and unfortunately the legatos on all are sometimes considerably worse than on Kontakt. I'd say the woodwinds are the best of the new versions but still not as good as the Kontakt versions, brass and strings are really problematic. It really sounds like the transitions have been shortened, on some instruments they seem almost non existant. Some dynamic layers are really problematic (the legato forte layer of the 3 Tpts regarding attack/release as well as legato transitions on the tree mic for instance)
This is really frustrating, especially as the original Berlin Brass had some of the most expressive legato. At the current state (plus the time synced playing techniques crashing Studio One) I will remain on the Kontakt version of all of those libraries. Quite a letdown.

I will definitely wait to see if OT comments on the legato issues. The rule of thumb people generally follow is not to buy libraries based on what you hope they might add later, but this is more complicated as they apparently already had better legatos before. And they did a good job with the added fff layer, so I would hope the under the hood tweaking happens at some point.

I couldn't let this rest and just went a for while through the legatos of all the new sine ports comparing them to the kontakt counterparts and unfortunately the legatos on all are sometimes considerably worse than on Kontakt. I'd say the woodwinds are the best of the new versions but still not as good as the Kontakt versions, brass and strings are really problematic. It really sounds like the transitions have been shortened, on some instruments they seem almost non existant. Some dynamic layers are really problematic (the legato forte layer of the 3 Tpts regarding attack/release as well as legato transitions on the tree mic for instance)
This is really frustrating, especially as the original Berlin Brass had some of the most expressive legato. At the current state (plus the time synced playing techniques crashing Studio One) I will remain on the Kontakt version of all of those libraries. Quite a letdown.
Never fun when faithful customers end up being beta testers. Shameless money grab to capitalize on BF sales?

@Hendrixon sounds like you are mostly happy with the Sine port?

I’m either in with the Sine bundle or out completely. Sine is the future for OT, and I’m not going to buy kontakt versions for temp use. I have other libraries lol.

I see some recent updates to JXL Brass in Sine so I assume they are actively working on library issues, and the same would happen here… but …
Lets start with this >>> I hate SINE, well, more like "don't like it".
I'll save my **firing hate** to the spitfire player... that thing is the worst piece of software I own, not just from music but everything (databases, programming IDEs, 3D modeling, video editing). it was optimized MAYBE for Intel core duo cpus o_O

Regarding Berlin, so far I tried just the Brass, its the part that got the most work (added layers!) and I'm really drawn to brass. all in all, accounting for all aspects, I feel its better then the kontakt version.

If you are one of those that use VIs like ROM players, don't look under the hood, then there is no need for Berlin kontakt, at least not the Brass section. if I was buying it all now, I would get the kontakt libs too for the extra 5% cost cause I do like to go inside things, tweak stuff etc.

Can anyone confirm these two questions?:
1) If I own BB originally, do I get BF + cross grade price on the whole Berlin series?
2) If I do and then complete/buy the bundle, do I qualify for free Berklee orchestra?
1) I now see my discount added in sine.
2) Still need answers

Never fun when faithful customers end up being beta testers. Shameless money grab to capitalize on BF sales?
Probably not actually. Per the OT post apologizing over the delays in SINE ports I presume that they were planned a while ago but took longer than expected. I guess the timing lined up nicely for BF. All assumptions of course.

That and also the constant pressure from people to release the SINE ports.

From what I hear from the complaints though these all seem like scripting issues rather than recording issues. If that's the case I feel a lot safer since OT can at least fix the scripting down the line.

1) I now see my discount added in sine.
2) Still need answers
From an earlier users post:
Oh this email just arrived. Nice!

Because you own all four Berlin Series main collections, you also qualify for a special download of Berlin Orchestra—our recent collaboration with Berklee. Be sure to enter all your serial numbers, and Berlin Orchestra will be assigned to your account automatically from December 6.

I own Berlin Strings and Berlin Woodwinds. For Brass, I've been using CSB and Infinite Brass. I'm considering completing my Berlin orchestra so I can make mockups that sound like their in the same space and do less work trying to mix things. I like the warm romantic tone and legato of the Berlin demos but held off buying them because I do like the option to be able to swell from quiet to very loud in a legato patch. Now that Berlin Brass is updated with a loud layer, do you think Berlin Brass can take the place of CSB in my work?
CSB has more consistent and better legato, goes higher then BB even with the new layers.
On the other hand BB has the none dispute upper hand in the sound department, its majestic in my view.

Hope it doesn't clutter the thread, I'll just post things I encounter.

So the BB Bones Ensemble legato, really wonky, yea kontakt one is better.
There is a volume slider for the transition samples, they are set too low to begin with.
adding like 10dB makes them sit better, though they are still wonky for lack of better word.

There is an option to remove the transition samples, it literally turns the patch into a scripted legato.
I did it and it made this patch pretty usable for a mix.

Another noob question:
Do the latest versions of the Kontakt products have keyswitched articulations in one program? My DAW machine is Win7 and I refuse to upgrade it, so SINE is out.

Another noob question:
Do the latest versions of the Kontakt products have keyswitched articulations in one program? My DAW machine is Win7 and I refuse to upgrade it, so SINE is out.
They're all in capsule so yes-ish

Capsule has an articulation limit of like 12 or so, so you can't fit every articulation onto one patch, but that also wouldn't really make sense.

CSB has more consistent and better legato, goes higher then BB even with the new layers.
On the other hand BB has the none dispute upper hand in the sound department, its majestic in my view.
Thank you! I noticed you can get a bigger, richer sound with CSB when not using the highest dynamic, so I would imagine BB would be even better for that! Legato isn't everything. I noticed that in a lot of classical pieces that feature brass, most of the time the brass are not playing connected notes and when they are, they are layered with strings. Jupiter by Holst for instance.

Top Bottom