What's new

Orchestral scores for studying arrangement

Hi all

I'm trying to get a better understanding of orchestration, is there a site where you can buy or download classical and film scores either in general midi, DAW specific or WAV format with each section of the orchestra broken down into separate tracks?

I recommend this free treasure trove of orchestral scores by Victor Young 1900-1956 in "short" score format. ScoreClub turned me on to these and they're wonderful to study! What I love about the condensed format is that it's easy to examine doublings, ranges and voicings.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 4.54.51 PM.png

Also, IMSLP is a great free resource for classical music scores, midi and recordings.

@ashtongleckman has generously shared his mockup work in this thread.

Synthestration.com is a site where one could purchase mockups as well, and @PhilipJohnston's OrchestrationRecipes.com offers collections of orchestral... well, recipes.

Finally, one could get lost in the sea of various Youtube vids re: orchestral midi mockups.

Enjoy your journey! :)

Last edited:
I recommend this free treasure trove of orchestral scores by Victor Young 1900-1956 in "short" score format. ScoreClub turned me on to these and they're wonderful to study! What I love about the condensed format is that it's easy to examine doublings, ranges and voicings.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 4.54.51 PM.png

Also, IMSLP is a great free resource for classical music scores, midi and recordings.

@ashtongleckman has generously shared his mockup work in this thread.

Synthestration.com is a site where one could purchase mockups as well, and @PhilipJohnston's OrchestrationRecipes.com offers collections of orchestral... well, recipes.

Finally, one could get lost in the sea of various Youtube vids re: orchestral midi mockups.

Enjoy your journey! :)
Thanks for all these great resources! :2thumbs: I'll have a look at these.
I can read manuscript but I thought it might be easier if I can have something to open up in a DAW in which I can solo sections to understand aurally how these works are put together and why they sound the way they do.

Synthestration looks like it's exactly what I was after, you can choose the DAW and it even shows you which library was used which is great!

Hello,
For film scores, even if it is paper only (and because you'll learn most of orchestration looking at the printed scores), 2 fantastic resources are:
- Omni Music Publishing
- Chris Siddall Music

2 other incredible orchestration learning resources are:
- Orchestration Online
- Ludwin Music

Even if you think entering notes in your score editor (even in your DAW one) is really time consuming, you're right, but it is as useful as time consuming :)

Regards,
Gil.

Hello,
For film scores, even if it is paper only (and because you'll learn most of orchestration looking at the printed scores), 2 fantastic resources are:
- Omni Music Publishing
- Chris Siddall Music

2 other incredible orchestration learning resources are:
- Orchestration Online
- Ludwin Music

Even if you think entering notes in your score editor (even in your DAW one) is really time consuming, you're right, but it is as useful as time consuming :)

Regards,
Gil.
These are great, thank you!

Reactions: Gil
Top Bottom