What's new

Orb Composer Pro S 1.5 (A.I Composing Software) - Review

Hi,
Here's a review of ORB COMPOSER 1.5 / 1.5.1 after 4 months.
My conclusion: wait for a few years, if they survive.

3 VERSIONS
- Demo is fully functional but shuts down after 2 hours
- Artist S 1.5.1: only 4/4; only pop, rock, piano, electro, ambient; only major & minor (149€)
- Pro S 1.5.1: all time signatures, also orchestra & strings, all modes (399€)

I bought version 1.5 in Nov 2019 with the Black Friday deal. I have been using it on both a Mac and a PC for 4 months.

GOOD
- Certainly very comprehensive for people who can read and write music
- The midi editor is quite good
- You can upload your own melody for orchestration (midi files only)
- Very flexible, sometimes too much (articulations, midi editing, melody / motif / bass / chords / arpeggio, voices, polyphony, etc.)
- The menus on the left make it very easy to add instruments, blocks, chords, chord progressions,
- Youtube channel with lots of videos

BAD

- you need a minimum of 64GB of RAM to use quality sample libraries because you will be loading dozens of instances of Kontakt (or whatever software you use)
- Interface is quite complex for beginners, there is no “simplified mode”.
- The logic is hard to grasp at first (which is OK) BUT there is no help file with an index for reference, only videos on some aspects (The “help” menu is just a short "what’s new in the latest version". (I asked them about this and they said, I quote “Yeah. We are aware that we have a significantly lacking software manual.”)
- Many - many - display problems (interface is crammed / the different visualisations of the same blocks are not aligned / windows overlap without being easily distinguishable / on a PC popup bubbles or right click menus appear for 1/10th of a second). And many more problems...
- The website is extremely slow and buggy; connections are dodgy, display is a massive pain. I stopped using it
- Orchestral arrangements are not realistic: too many notes, and too many blocks that need to be changed entirely with so many options
- Changing one little thing will often completely change all your patiently composed blocks, even if they are “locked”!
- You cannot create new templates that will appear when you open Orb or start a new file.
- when you add instruments to an empty file in order to create a template, importing a midi melody with result in nothing in the blocks.
- Sample libraries are not included (except piano): you need to link Orb with an external application like Kontakt, etc. And a full orchestra loaded in Kontakt linked with Orb will freeze or crash the system (I quote “it’s a known bug”)
- Presence on Discord is limited, maybe because the forum itself is quite empty. No other online community that I know of
- With midi import, the tempo and meter of the original file are not respected (I quote “This isn't a bug as much as it a feature”: ?!?!). For example, uploading a simple 6/8 tune at 200bpm will produce an orchestration as a 4/4 tune at 120bpm, which does not recognize the structure of the tune at all and is 100% useless
- Crashes often, both on Mac and PC (eg 1/ on Windows 7, once had to completely reinstall after deleting all Orb references with regedit; eg2/ on Mac, crashed when clicking on a clip after importing a very simple midi file)
- Staff is really not helpful even for paying customers (I have seen so many times: “it’s a known bug”). And bugs don’t seem to be seriously tackled over time.
- Very complex integration with Logic and other DAWs (even if templates are provided, still very complex); staff not very helpful again (I mentioned a problem on Logic and was told: “I don’t have access to a Mac”).
- clicking on the left arrow (at the top) to go back to the beginning doesn’t bring the display to the beginning.
- Nothing for SONAR / Cakewalk-BandLab
- Full version is 399€!
- Doesn’t seem ready, more like a Beta v0.5.
- Staff refuses to acknowledge the problems.

ANNOYING STUFF
- No warning to save when you open another file with midi import
- Never opens in full-screen mode on Win. You cannot change this.
- When Orb is opened or a new file created, it is automatically in loop mode. You cannot change this.
- Cannot change the musical mode after midi import (eg from C to C Dorian) or else, it changes the chords you have chosen. You cannot “lock” the chords.
- No general “solo off button” and “mute off button”
- Many functions that open a folder do not go to last used folder (but systematically to Library/Music on Win and Music on Mac): you need to create your own shortcuts/aliases
- Undo and redo (in the edit menu) do not name the operations in question (eg undo paste, undo delete block, etc.)
- for some reason, the first note of your imported melody will disappear most of the time
- the space bar will start playing, as in every serious music software, but the 0 key does not take you to the beginning of the track

CONCLUSION
+ Very comprehensive and flexible
- The learning curve is quite steep, needs a very powerful computer, direct staff support is almost non-existent and certainly not helpful, very expensive.

Aimed at pro composers with a solid experience in composition. But they will need to seriously rethink their software and listen to customers if they want to survive.

CONTEXT
I wanted to learn about orchestration. I’m 55 and I’ve had a digital home studio since 1988 (Atari + Steinberg Pro24). I can’t read nor write music but I play a couple of instruments and I can explain what D Dorian means.

Good review. I am also an owner of the "Full" version. Some of the cons can be lessened by using OC to drive a DAW (I use Studio One). I am not holding my breath for any updates- They shut down their Discord server a month or more ago. I think they have folded already.

Bonjour à tous, merci pour ces commentaires, pour ma part la principale et énorme limite d'Orb Composer est d'avoir à charger un vst pour chaque instrument. J'utilise d'abord Kontakt dans Cubase et je trouve absurde d'avoir à en charger une instance pour chaque instrument Orb. Il me semble que le standard midi a été pensé pour éviter ce genre de problème et Orb propose donc un retour en arrière inacceptable. S'il avait encore d'autres instruments intégrés ou la possibilité de jouer des soundfonts basiques, mais non ... Après 2 jours de test j'abandonne

Bonjour à tous, merci pour ces commentaires, pour ma part la principale et énorme limite d'Orb Composer est d'avoir à charger un vst pour chaque instrument. J'utilise d'abord Kontakt dans Cubase et je trouve absurde d'avoir à en charger une instance pour chaque instrument Orb. Il me semble que le standard midi a été pensé pour éviter ce genre de problème et Orb propose donc un retour en arrière inacceptable. S'il avait encore d'autres instruments intégrés ou la possibilité de jouer des soundfonts basiques, mais non ... Après 2 jours de test j'abandonne
Le logiciel ne vaut rien de toute façon…

Freddy, regarde en fin de page précédente, peut-être que ça t'aidera mais clairement, si tu passes par Cubase, le mieux est de ne pas charger toutes tes articulations et de modifier les "rôles" dans ORB pour que ça corresponde avec tes articulations chargées.
Suffisant pour faire un sketch de départ, ensuite tu oublies ORB et tu reprends ton rôle de compositeur ;)

[QUOTE = "Dollismine, message: 4548649, membre: 22529"]
Freddy, regarde en fin de page précédente, peut-être que ça t'aidera mais clair, si tu passe par Cubase, le mieux est de ne pas charger toutes tes articulations et de modifier les "rôles" dans ORB pour que ça ça corresponde avec tes articulations chargées.
Suffisant pour faire un sketch de départ, ensuite tu oublies ORB et tu reprends ton rôle de compositeur ;)
[/ CITATION]
Yes Dollismine, I saw the method you recommended, thank you for this post.
It is true that a priori I do not pour in the symphonic but rather in synthpop, house or ambient, the number of vst to launch a project start therefore remains limited for me. So I need two or three templates, I will try that and see what it looks like, let's not be obtuse ...
But the fact remains that softs like Rapid Composer are more consistent by being Vst plugins themselves which interact directly within the DAW, even if the management of the chords is not as subtle as in ORB. A mix of these 2 softs would be great!

For Pop, house, ambient, ORB is clearly *****:eek:
My use is only for Orchestral, and even if the result are very random, sometimes you can have interesting idea. It helps you to go out to your style.
Of course, it's not John Williams but....this is a tool, not a finality. At least for Orchetral.

Other style are crappy, right.

I own Orb, (but didn't do the 1.5 update. I bought it 2 months prior and they wouldn't waive even part of the upgrade fee. Miserable support for sure.) Not to mention it was buggy and shoddy from day one.

Anyway I've found Scaler to be a much more useful replacement. Thought I'd post this if people are looking for alternatives..

If you prefer to start with a random orchestrated idea Scaler might not be what you're after. However if you're mainly looking for something to help you bridge some harmony or theory gaps, find chord substitutions, parallel harmony in descending order of similarity, etc, Scaler's a lot more useful.

Scaler 2 will be bringing a more generative approach that starts to get closer to something like Orb, but doesn't "suggest" ideas. (Which is what I like about it.) You steer the ship, the technology bridges the theory/harmony gap, and allows you to be as complex, diatonic or non-diatonic as you want.

Scaler 2's releasing at the end of May, if curious about an alternative check the videos linked below and see if it looks interesting to you...

Last edited:
I own Orb, (but didn't do the 1.5 update. I bought it 2 months prior and they wouldn't waive even part of the upgrade fee. Miserable support for sure.) Not to mention it was buggy and shoddy from day one.

Anyway I've found Scaler to be a much more useful replacement. Thought I'd post this if people are looking for alternatives..

If you prefer to start with a random orchestrated idea Scaler might not be what you're after. However if you're mainly looking for something to help you bridge some harmony or theory gaps, find chord substitutions, parallel harmony in descending order of similarity, etc, Scaler's a lot more useful.

Scaler 2 will be bringing a more generative approach that starts to get closer to something like Orb, but doesn't "suggest" ideas. (Which is what I like about it.) You steer the ship, the technology bridges the theory/harmony gap, and allows you to be as complex, diatonic or non-diatonic as you want.

Scaler 2's releasing at the end of May, if curious about an alternative check the videos linked below and see if it looks interesting to you...

Yes thanks
actually Scaler is exactly what I need
I don't need an app that melts a melody, a rhythm or an accompaniment. I tried several, the cleverest remaining Rapid Composer which crosses the routing squares on which Orb Composer remains blocked, but this kind of software brings me more confusion than ease, it's funny at the start but quickly I find myself stuck in the musical intentions of the programmer and it instantly dilutes my inspiration! On the other hand I need a tool allowing me to exceed my poor knowledge in harmony and to enrich my chord progressions, various tools exist for that but this one seems really top

Yes thanks
actually Scaler is exactly what I need
I don't need an app that melts a melody, a rhythm or an accompaniment. I tried several, the cleverest remaining Rapid Composer which crosses the routing squares on which Orb Composer remains blocked, but this kind of software brings me more confusion than ease, it's funny at the start but quickly I find myself stuck in the musical intentions of the programmer and it instantly dilutes my inspiration! On the other hand I need a tool allowing me to exceed my poor knowledge in harmony and to enrich my chord progressions, various tools exist for that but this one seems really top
Scaler 2's supposed to release May 27th. Also agree, I basically bought Orb to help out with some of the more complex harmony, hoping it would make substitutions easy, etc. Scaler already does this well but with the circle of 5ths feature coming in version 2 this should be even easier and allow for more choices.

The great thing is it's only $49. Not sure if version 2 will cost more, even if so the price is still a huge bargain compared to Orb and the more expensive options. (Not to mention they are incredibly open to feedback and feature suggestions.)

I just got Orb Composer on sale for %50 off. I think the full price is way too much for software that is very unstable. I have growing library of phrases and I though that Orb could be useful for quickly harmonizing, previewing different instruments and narrowing down the selection. That works very well. Anything more and the software crashes :(

Orb could use Synfire's chord palettes. What they currently have is rather primitive in comparison.

I just got Orb Composer on sale for %50 off. I think the full price is way too much for software that is very unstable. I have growing library of phrases and I though that Orb could be useful for quickly harmonizing, previewing different instruments and narrowing down the selection. That works very well. Anything more and the software crashes :(

Orb could use Synfire's chord palettes. What they currently have is rather primitive in comparison.
I like Synfire in some ways, but in others, Orb is so much easier to use.

And? I haven't got much that is usable from either. But they are useful for learning.

I like Synfire in some ways, but in others, Orb is so much easier to use.

And? I haven't got much that is usable from either. But they are useful for learning.

I demoed Synfire and I only found chord extraction and editing with the palettes useful (Harmony Navigator advance part). The whole re-harmonization paradigm that is the selling point of the software is too fiddly. In Orb, with a click of a button you get the whole block refilled with new instruments and phrases. There's nothing of that sort in SF. Instead, you can drag an drop notes from prviously created library or imported midi, which I find irritating and the end result in not as cohesive.

Years ago I found a plugin that builds chord progressions in a classical manner with excellent voice leading. It was written by someone who knew his theory. That plugin was way more useful than OCP. It didn't write melodies, but an interesting and well sounding chord progression is what most learning composers need. A melody is not that difficult to write.

I forgot the name of that plugin, but perhaps someone else will remember.
I don't know if you mean "Harmony Builder". They claim to build chord progressions in a classical manner, and it can check for voice leading errors, or suggest a next chord based on harmony rules

I am interested in buying it, but I cannot find a lot of reviews.
In addition, it doesn't seem to be user friendly. I watched a video on YT and the workflow is a hassle imho

Rapid Composer is far better in my opinion, BUT, you need to know music theory to get the most out of it. It helps to automate the tedious processes of writing music on many fronts, and I'm not talking about using the Generators to spit out some semi-random sequences. Anyone who thinks software is going to compose a compelling track for them with ZERO effort is in for a rude awakening...

Rapid Composer is far better in my opinion, BUT, you need to know music theory to get the most out of it. It helps to automate the tedious processes of writing music on many fronts, and I'm not talking about using the Generators to spit out some semi-random sequences. Anyone who thinks software is going to compose a compelling track for them with ZERO effort is in for a rude awakening...
If you have Rapid Composer, either on KVR or Gearspace they have a manufacturer thread with a whole bunch of importable phrases that are things like runs and ostinatos. Some user made and shared them.

I think Synfire has a lot more capability, but it is more complicated to use. I'm still trying to figure it out. Rapid Composer is definitely more usable off the bat.

Top Bottom