What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

I apologise if this is covered somewhere in this thread and I will no doubt read every page soon but what are people using for icons? I like the ideas of making my own but I have to be realistic here. I could spend a year making something and not do music again so using some already existing ones would be great. Has anyone got a full collection of DAW icons for sale?
Hi @jononotbono, if it helps, here is a macro tab of my Osc patch with some Icons. I will post my entire template soon...

Macro tab.png

Attachments

• Macros tab.json.zip
    312.5 KB · Views: 75
Hi @jononotbono, if it helps, here is a macro tab of my Osc patch with some Icons. I will post my entire template soon...

Macro tab.png
Hi
Impressive! I read your post earlier in the OSC forum, and wondered if you managed to make it all work. Hope to see your template. In the meantime I test Patchboard and it works very well, but doesn’t have all the macro functions.

Reactions: zig
have any of you OSC gurus tried using this OSCulator controller to send which track is selected in LogicPro back to OpenStageControl?

have any of you OSC gurus tried using this OSCulator controller to send which track is selected in LogicPro back to OpenStageControl?

I just tried yesterday!
No success so far but I’m total beginner on OSC & Open Stage Control.
I’m in for tips as well.

Let us know if you get anywhere with that. That LogicPro control surface plugin they made is pretty much the same thing the Patchboard guy did. I have tested this control panel in LogicPro and I can tell you for sure that when its installed, then I can click on tracks in LogicPro...and OSC messages get sent out with the name and number of the track I selected. That should be all that is needed to have Open Stage Control respond by putting up the right keyswitch screen depending on the OSC message received when you click on tracks...just like Patchboard....except you'd be able to make a more customized touchpad interface using Open Stage Control I think.

Yes !
What I’m struggling with is how to connect Osculator & Open Stage Control.
I’ve tried various settings with no success but error messages stating port conflicts.
But choosing a track in LPX and seing messages in Osculator already brought tears to my eyes.
If I manage to sort this mess, I’ll make a video about it !

You don't need to use OSCulator itself. Just use the control panel plugin that the OSCulator team made and then in OpenStageControl, it is able to listen for the OSC messages coming from the LogicPro control panel. LogicPro is able to send OSC messages directly. Its done through the ControlPanel feature of LogicPro. The OSCulator team just developed a control panel device that has a bunch fo OSC messages defined so that as you click on tracks in LogicPro..the OSC will be sent out. its probably just a matter of getting OpenStage Control to listen to the right OSC IP address and port...or perhaps tweak the control panel to send to the right ip/port...not sure exactly...I haven't worked with this stuff myself yet, just kind of sussing it out right now.

But for certain this is how Logic can notify OpenStageControl, via OSC commands...when you click on a track header or mixer strip.

Is there a plug-in like this that works with Cubase?

Not from oscillator team I don’t think. But since you already bought patch board you have it from that. In theory you can do the same thing with cubase, use whatever he developed for cubase to be supported by patch board and then just make your own open stage control ui that communicates via OSC messages

Well I’m testing Patchboard and I’m thinking about a touch screen, so There are still some aspects, that have to fall in place.

So here's a quick explanation of whatever I know so far about using the OSCulator Control Surface plugin...

first, I think you probably have to buy OSCulator in order to download the Control Surface plugin that they made. Not entirely sure, here is the link in their forum where the plugin can be downloaded:

I think maybe(?), that plugin can be used totally independently of OSCulator itself. OSCulator is just a convenient tool for observing the OSC message activity. If not, then OSCulator can be used to echo the OSC messages to OpenStageControl. I haven't done much with OSCulator yet, it has some of its own scripting ability, etc..maybe it will yet come in handy I'm not sure...but the Control Surface plugin they made for LogicPro is super interesting anyway.

(BTW you could theoretically create your own Control Surface plugin using the editor built into LogicPro, but I don't think most people, including me, understand it all well enough to do that.).

So anyway, I installed their Control Surface plugin. When I launch OSCulator and then LogicPro, LogicPro detects OSCulator and asks me if I want to use the control surface, etc.. Then its there.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.10.14 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.09.57 PM.jpg

Going to control surfaces Setup and controller assignments in LogicPro you can see some of the settings, which are gibberish to me...but anyway this is where the OSC messages are defined. I'm not sure yet how This control surface plugin was able to automatically connect to OSCulator at port 8000... that's an open question for getting this connected to OpenStageControl instead of OSCulator... But I think it should be possible.

I don't really know OSCulator yet either, so forgive me if I'm getting any detail wrong, but somehow once the Control Surface has made an initial connection to OSCulator at port 8000, a mapping is displayed in the top half of the window...and the bottom half of the window shows actual OSC messages that were exchanged:

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.10.58 PM.jpg

Anyway, now I can click on track two and see the following OSC messages logged in OSCulator.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.12.52 PM.jpg

Then click on Track 3 and see more messages logged in OSCulator.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.13.16 PM.jpg

So there you have it... a Control Surface plugin sends OSC messages when you click on various things..and you just have to have OpenStageControl listening for it somehow.

Patchboard basically includes also a Control Surface plugin of its own that does this same kind of stuff...and something for Cubase...I don't know the details because I haven't purchased Patchboard (yet).

I just am wondering if anyone has tried using this much less expensive Control Surface plugin in conjunction with OpenStageControl...or perhaps one of you guys using PatchBoard's Control Surface plugins to drive OpenStageControl may end up with some interesting success also.

Last edited:
I managed to get Open Stage Control receiving messages from Logic Pro X through OSCulator.
A simple text field showing the current track name in LPX.
Though, I couldn’t manage to control LPX from OSC. So far, it’s only one way, but I’m investigating...

I really need some help and this is definitely a good place to be for OSC help! Spending the evening trying to work on my OSC template controller and I'm having trouble with panels and tabs.

I've filmed a video on my phone to quickly show the problem.

Every time I load my json save file, the bottom of my template shows two panel tabs at the same time (when only one should show). Everything is all weird looking. Then I manually click/tap on each button or switch and then everything reverts to how it should look. Wondering what I'm doing wrong?

Is there any way to set a default switch value at launch?
(sorry, not helping, I’m super newbie at Open Stage Control - on Logic Pro).

Top Bottom