What's new

One Million Free .MUSIC Domain Registrations Until 24 May 2024

Bee_Abney

How long have I been out?

Apparently, the domain .MUSIC is being touted as a way of ensuring that you can tell music professionals are who they claim to be, much as .EDU does in education. They are giving away a million free registrations (for one year) until the 24th of May 2024. You would have to verify who you are with them; so this is very much for people and companies with a professional track record.

.MUSIC will launch globally on 25 June 2024, with prices set by ICANN-accredited domain registrars and resellers.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what any of this means; but it seemed like it might be of interest to some folks here.

I feel like these guys have a license to print money. Why do I get the feeling it's three meth-heads in a mouldy basement? I bet what happens is one says "Hey guys the meth is running out!", and his mate is like "OK, let's do.... uhhhh.... let's do .music - have we done that already?"

I feel like these guys have a license to print money. Why do I get the feeling it's three meth-heads in a mouldy basement? I bet what happens is one says "Hey guys the meth is running out!", and his mate is like "OK, let's do.... uhhhh.... let's do .music - have we done that already?"
If you know how to set up new domains, you can have my money for '.FANTABULOUS'.

Last edited:

Apparently, the domain .MUSIC is being touted as a way of ensuring that you can tell music professionals are who they claim to be, much as .EDU does in education. They are giving away a million free registrations (for one year) until the 24th of May 2024. You would have to verify who you are with them; so this is very much for people and companies with a professional track record.

.MUSIC will launch globally on 25 June 2024, with prices set by ICANN-accredited domain registrars and resellers.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what any of this means; but it seemed like it might be of interest to some folks here.
Bee the master of your domain with beeabney.muse or clinometer.bee. :thumbsup:

I don't understand this at all. So individuals can't apply for free .music domains, only organisations can?

Meh. I just registered taylorswift.music. Anyone want to buy it off me for $20?
All joking aside, by their own admission the whole point of .music is that they are an identity provider AND a top level domain. They are supposed to be verifying your real ID before they let you register a domain... aren't they?

All joking aside, by their own admission the whole point of .music is that they are an identity provider AND a top level domain. They are supposed to be verifying your real ID before they let you register a domain... aren't they?
Yes. It seems to be that the main - and, perhaps, only - selling point is that a .MUSIC domain guarantees your identity, and that as a significant player in the the music business, to others. Even if they've not heard of you, or dealt with you, they'll know that you have some level of legitimacy.

One of that ' news' where within 1 millisecond your mood switches from 'yay' to 'pfff'.
Just another product for those who are already well-positioned.
I'm so glad that those who are already highly privileged are getting additional privileges for free. It's great for the entire industry ;)

EDIT: even dead people (Prince) have more privileges than me :grin: Lovely bubbly.

Last edited:
After the first year, each domain costs a minimum of $43. That seems pretty high to me, considering that the venerable .com only costs $10 per year. You're paying a 4x premium, and the only way it's worth it is basically if your .com is already taken. With that said, people with common names might benefit a lot.

Top Bottom