What's new

Omnisphere 2. A must buy?

You clearly either don’t own enough other soft synths

Comparable soft synths would be other synths that use similar sampling+synthesis capabilities. Can you honestly name another soft synth with the equivalent sampled content that Omnisphere has?

The closest might be Falcon2, but once you factor in the various soundsets just to start to bring it to par with Omnisphere's content, you've probably surpassed the price of Omnisphere.

For those who like Omni2 and zebra u guys should look into Arturias pigment2.
The first version was meh but this new release is pretty cool. Has dual granular engine wavetables and normal synth. Plus cool modulations.

Still, the amount of sounds that Omni2 comes w is insane. I’m planning a new Omni2 release w our own samples but w so many onboard options and modulation w effects I doubt it’ll get better.

zebra2 is cool but imo not for the newbies. Unless u rather just get a bunch of genre specific 3rd party soundsets and just tweak a few basic things.

I was just going through the Keyscape creative library extras for Omnisphere. What a great library. Omnisphere is a must have, in my opinion. In fact, all the Spectrasonics instruments are worth owning.

I don't work for Spectrasonics. Just putting that out there in case there's more confusion on the internet today.

Omnisphere is easily the best purchase I've made since I started making music on computers in 1985. My only issue with it is I wish I bought it sooner. I lost a lot of money buying other stuff only to learn to my regret that Omni does it better.
Also every time someone doesn't buy Omnisphere god kills a kitten. And that's really not fair to the kitten, it didn't do anything wrong.

MODO Bass versus 'all' of Trilian' ? MODO Bass is very cool, but someone's credibility is sinking fast !

Next will likely be a major hit on StylusRMX .... which has amazing capabilities after decades without Update.
That is a serious ask from Spectrasonics ( yet lots if high expectations ) .....

Can you honestly name another soft synth with the equivalent sampled content that Omnisphere has?

I have Omni version 1 and still have not gone very deep into it. Omni has a great quality sound.

I think if i was forced to choose only one synth and i have quite a lot i think Alchemy the PC version would be my synth of choice and i still dont think it can be beaten, i dont know whats happened to it since Apple have taken ownership.

A synth can only help with what type of work you are doing and for the most part we will never require every content a synth has my guess is you will only need a very small part of it because the rest just will not make sense to you or it just want work with what your creating so the content you use will for the most part be very small.

Yes when we are passing time and checking out what the synth can do we say wow so much content but in reality we will never use half the content in our creation and music, and then suddenly the new version comes out, well you know what happens next...........

I have Omni version 1 and still have not gone very deep into it. Omni has a great quality sound.

I think if i was forced to choose only one synth and i have quite a lot i think Alchemy the PC version would be my synth of choice and i still dont think it can be beaten, i dont know whats happened to it since Apple have taken ownership.

A synth can only help with what type of work you are doing and for the most part we will never require every content a synth has my guess is you will only need a very small part of it because the rest just will not make sense to you or it just want work with what your creating so the content you use will for the most part be very small.

Yes when we are passing time and checking out what the synth can do we say wow so much content but in reality we will never use half the content in our creation and music, and then suddenly the new version comes out, well you know what happens next...........

Omni 2 / 2.5 / 2.6 are major enhancements; well beyond Omni1. Most current comments are likely based on these Updates __ or should factor them in.

Alchemy is no more (unless you buy Logic Pro). Camel Audio as a company ceased to exist after Apple bought them. Sucks, because I'd always wanted to buy CamelSpace and now it's gone. :/

Back in the day, Alchemy was the most comparable sampler/synth to Omnisphere. Alchemy had the advantage of user imported samples while Omnisphere 1 did not.

This has since changed with Omnisphere 2, as now it allows importing of user samples. Meanwhile, Alchemy is no longer available as an independent VST.

Oh absolutely, there is far more content in Omnisphere than any one person will ever use. At the same time, that is what makes it so compelling. There is so much content in it that one will never run out of new sounds to play with or new patches to try.

Last edited:
Alchemy is no more. Camel Audio as a company ceased to exist after Apple bought them. Sucks, because I'd always wanted to buy CamelSpace and now it's gone. :/

Back in the day, Alchemy was the most comparable sampler/synth to Omnisphere. Alchemy had the advantage of user imported samples while Omnisphere 1 did not.

This has since changed with Omnisphere 2, as now it allows importing of user samples. Meanwhile, Alchemy is no longer available.

So what your saying is Omni are finally doing what Alchemy did a a long time ago, .........Anyway not starting a war.

Truly respect Eric and the guys at Spectroscopic.

I still use the PC version of Alchemy from time to time but more into library's of late.

I was going through some Keyscape Creative patches today.
the Keyboards patches.

Iswhatitis, highly recommend giving some of them a try.
there are some real beauties.

Last edited:
I also remember buying the Roland expansion boards for my XP-50 back in the day and seeing the Spectrasonics logo on the box. Those were some of the best string patches you could find on a keyboard back then.

Let me put a twist on this. I'm not a professional composer. Probably never will be. But I'm a nerd. I love synths. I love to learn about them, to learn all the techniques people developed over the years to get the most from them. I like the joy of taking a simple saw and making a badass patch out of it. May be even fuse it with some creative sampling and so on. I do own Trillian for it's amazing acoustic basses and bass guitars. I've also heard a lot of demos and walkthroughs. I think I get what Omni is about. And yup, the sounds are just beautiful. But they suffer from 2 problems.

1.) There is thousands of great patches, hundered of outstanding patches and tens of mindblowing patches. Usually those ten are the first ones people go use in their songs. I don't even own Omni and I can indentify the frozen pad and the lightbulb patch anywhere. And it's used a lot.

2.) You simply won't learn much. Now, that is not a con for some people. In fact, that is a huge pro for most people, cause you have amazing sampled base to build upon and thousands of great patches for instant use if you don't feel like tweaking. But you're still most of the time creating a form of derivative work. It's derivated from Eric's amazing collection of sounds, but still. You do it, because you can and it's comfy. Without it, you'd be forced to go out with a recorder and make some foley sounds to stuff into your granular synth.

That's the reason I've chosen Falcon in the end. For NOT having the sample library, because that way I'm forced to learn how to make my own. When I'm doing a lightbulb patch, I want it to be my lightbulbs. :))

I'm not bashing on anyone who loves Omni. I get it and there are tones of reasons to do so. I'm just in love with making your own sounds, so Falcon made a bit more sense to me actually. And I can't afford both.

So for all the Omni users, if you're still a bit of nerd too, don't forget to drop your own sample into it here or there. :)

Last edited:
Definitely want to get Keyscape. Not sure if it ever goes on sale. I have UVI Keysuite Electric which is good but not as lush and thick of a sound as Keyscape. I wish Keyscape has more pianos and more electric pianos.
The way I found a discount was by using a music store coupon. Spectrasonkcs rarely if ever does deals.

Yeah, that’s how I got Omnisphere with a 20% off coupon. I’m hoping Keyscape comes out with a version 2 that doubles the number of instruments and then I’d get it for 20% off if they keep the same price. Thanks.
You never know, because Keyscape came out of nowhere. Originally, I was thinking - what problem is this solving? This is just a sample library of keyboards, and so many companies have done this before. Then I saw play throughs and tried it myself and realized the quality is high enough that the release of the product was indeed warranted.

My money is on them either FINALLY re-doing Trillian or Stylus next, because they are ancient at this point. Omnisphere seems to get the bulk of their time and attention, so that could be next too. I would never guess Keyscape is next, but who knows? They always seem to surprise me.

1.) There is thousands of great patches, hundered of outstanding patches and tens of mindblowing patches. Usually those ten are the first ones people go use in their songs. I don't even own Omni and I can indentify the frozen pad and the lightbulb patch anywhere. And it's used a lot.

Oddly, as an Omnisphere user of 10 years or so, I don't know either of the patches you mean. So not sure it really follows that there's only a handful of patches that everyone actually uses. In fact, I usually specifically try to seek out stuff I haven't used before if I'm searching presets, though I can't help but gravitate to a few favourites, which by and large aren't especially showy. I never use the favourite ratings for this very reason.

2.) You simply won't learn much. Now, that is not a con for some people. In fact, that is a huge pro for most people, cause you have amazing sampled base to build upon and thousands of great patches for instant use if you don't feel like tweaking. But you're still most of the time creating a form of derivative work. It's derivated from Eric's amazing collection of sounds, but still. You do it, because you can and it's comfy. Without it, you'd be forced to go out with a recorder and make some foley sounds to stuff into your granular synth.

That's the reason I've chosen Falcon in the end. For NOT having the sample library, because that way I'm forced to learn how to make my own. When I'm doing a lightbulb patch, I want it to be my lightbulbs. :))

I'm not bashing on anyone who loves Omni. I get it and there are tones of reasons to do so. I'm just in love with making your own sounds, so Falcon made a bit more sense to me actually. And I can't afford both.

So for all the Omni users, if you're still a bit of nerd too, don't forget to drop your own sample into it here or there. :)

Well different strokes and all that, but I've always found Omnisphere one of the easiest synths to get under the hood with, wheras Falcon looks like raw computer code to me (and I've yet to hear a sound from it that I truly like). Its true that one of Omni's great strengths is that you can just use it as a preset machine if you really want, but then easily scale right from that to total control of everything, and any stage in between. Its a cinch to swap out a soundsource for a custom sample (which, good for me, I've done a fair bit) or wavetable.

It seems that a lot of people see the specs of 60gb of samples and assume all people ever do with it is use factory samples. In fact even in the factory library I think there's around 2-3,000 presets (from memory) that don't use any samples at all.

I think these are the reasons why many of us have it as our first port of synthesis call. It can handle pretty much anything you throw at it, in any way you choose to use it, and be as simple or as complex as you like.

But absolutely different strokes for different folks.

Top Bottom