What's new

Oceania / Oceania II Initial Demos

DeactivatedAcc

Deactivated Account
Oceania / Oceania II Initial Demos

Hi everyone,

Around six years ago I started dipping my toes into orchestral sampling. Some of you may remember the fortissimo brass and other odds and ends I shared here on VI way back. They were highly primitive. Recorded in a dry studio with the musicians playing some terribly uninteresting, tiring scores. But it was a necessary first step.

A couple years and much wheels-spinning-in-mud later, I began to put my finger on how to achieve slivers of the energy and emotion I was after with sampling approach. At that point I fell down the rabbit hole, learning through iterative orchestral/choral sample development which continues to this day. In terms of the process, I posted some musings a while back.

I’ve decided to start an endeavor, Performance Samples, and build commercial libraries along the lines of my private development. Home-brew orchestral/choral libraries that emphasize expression, energy, and are “fun to play," regardless of the rough edges and quirks that come with a heavily performance-sourced approach and specific set of values.

Oceania is my first release. It’s a 48-person choir (24 women / 24 men - recorded separately) with a focus on syllable cohesion, playability, and energetic, louder dynamics (well, dynamic). It was roughly based off a private choir I built a few months ago with 32 singers, but with some improvements and variations.

Oceania is available from the product page and is on intro pricing through the 14th. Please feel free to get in touch if you have thoughts or questions.

Thanks a bunch,
Jasper

Product page: www.performancesamples.com/oceania
Main site: www.performancesamples.com

Last edited:
I just want to state Jasper Blunk is one of the most talented guys in the sample business I ever met.
Absolutely fantastic and incredible work he did here.
Even though this is his first public library he developed already libraries for several years.
The current setup I have uses his private sample libraries and I couldn't do what I do without his talent and expertise creation.

I use on a weekly basis the freebies of Jasper Blunk. It's amazing how gifted he is! I really want to get Oceania, though I'm not sure if I really need this. It sounds awesome. Still thinking about it.

Another vote of confidence for Jasper's work. I bought this yesterday and it's highly playable, energetic, and expressive. Angry Brass is a mainstay in my template and even the old Fortissimo Brass freebie, with some reverb and EQ, is very usable.

I've always felt that developers should have two goals: To produce a tool that helps musically achieve what you want and to be able to do that in a short amount of time. I find Oceania masterful because it also achieves a third goal which is impossible to convey in any walkthrough/screencast/demo. It's immediately inspiring to play.

It really encourages you to musically try things you would normally never approach due to one limitation or another. You could spend some time trying to approximate the kind of writing this library was intended for with an existing release, but not with the kind of effortless/uncanny fluidity Oceania offers. There's some serious love going on under the hood here. Remarkable achievement.

Just to add to everyone else's comment. I got this yesterday and have not put it down. So easy to work with.

While I don't need this and have a private choir library I help design many years ago(I rarely use), I have followed Jaspers progression, he has been both musical, inquisitive, generous, proactive in reaching out and a host of other positive qualities. I may pick this up just because it sounds and looks like it plays great. Best of luck Jasper!

Just to add to everyone else's comment. I got this yesterday and have not put it down. So easy to work with.
+1 (got it today)

Edit: I got this based on the excellent overview by Blakus - totally loving this library, and thanks Blakus!!

Wonderful library. Jasper shows amazing musicianship in the way he made this library sound. This is the kind of library that only someone who has been doing it for many years, and who has a special talent and sensibility could achieve.
I hope Performance Samples is here to stay and I look forward to its future releases. This is what I call a stormy entrance into the sampling world. Bravo Jasper.

Congratulations Jasper! Excellent sounding library, full of expression and musicality. Extremely convincing. Couldn't resist pulling the trigger within minutes of hearing it.

I hope you will release many more products with a similar approach - I think you hit the nail on the head when you were talking about the limitations in musicality of conventional sampling.

Congrats Jasper! Hopefully you keep churning out more sample libraries like these!

Hmmm, this choir actually sounds familiar :) Where was it recorded / who recorded it or did you record it yourself?

And um really...it is an instrument. Not really much to walk through. It does what it does and does it quite good.

Top Bottom