What's new

Noteperformer Playback Engine for CSS (Woodwinds)

I’ve been enjoying NP and recently picked up CSS Woodwinds. I’m getting strange behavior when I play the library in the NP CSS playback engine. In my case I’ve input a passage in Dorico for solo clarinet playing with solo bassoon. I’m not exactly sure what I’m hearing - it seems like there may be an unusually long “overhang” from one note to the next (passage is slurred for legato). Not as noticieable in steps but more noticeable in short leaps. I’ve played the same passage through Musio with the Musio playback engine with no strange effects. Has anyone else encountered something like this? Is this a manifestation of the legato delay related to CSS?

Thanks.

I’ve had similar experiences and found if you experiment with getting rid of marcato overlays that usually solves that problem.

I’ve had similar experiences and found if you experiment with getting rid of marcato overlays that usually solves that problem.
Thanks, I tried that and it helps a bit but doesn’t completely alleviate the issue. When I have time I’ll try to post an audio file.

Can someone tell me how to post an audio file? I saved it as mp3, flac and wav but the "attach" link doesn't see it. Thanks.

Now that you mention it, I’ve had a similar issue with the CSS solo strings.
In fact, the entire tone seems off to me. The instruments sound a little “honky” and the legatos aren’t that smooth. CSS is known for its legatos so this must be a NP issue with CSS(?). Just weird. The Cinewinds through Musio sound fine.

Yeah, there are a couple things off with the CS series in NP. I also noticed that if the first note in a legato phrase is a 16th note, it always has a weird, very misplaced sounding hard accent - over all instruments. And yesterday I was trying NPPE CS for the piece I'm working on, and the trombones sounded extremely off, like if there was a telephone-like eq on top of them. Not sure if this is only the CS implementation for NPPE, maybe the others are better?

Yeah, there are a couple things off with the CS series in NP. I also noticed that if the first note in a legato phrase is a 16th note, it always has a weird, very misplaced sounding hard accent - over all instruments. And yesterday I was trying NPPE CS for the piece I'm working on, and the trombones sounded extremely off, like if there was a telephone-like eq on top of them. Not sure if this is only the CS implementation for NPPE, maybe the others are better?
I think it must be a CSS issue. The Musio, Spitfire and East West NPPEs all sound fine (at least with the little mock-up I'm doing).

Hah, found the issue with the accents - there's an option under advanced settings to switch on/off short note overlays - if I switch those off to no overlays it sounds much better and the weird accents are gone.

Which notation program are you using? In Sibelius notes under slurs are held for 102% of their notated value, with the last note of a slur held only 95%. I almost always set the length of notes under a slur to 100% and leave the last note value alone. I only have the VSL Prime NPPE so I can't comment on CSS.

Which notation program are you using? In Sibelius notes under slurs are held for 102% of their notated value, with the last note of a slur held only 95%. I almost always set the length of notes under a slur to 100% and leave the last note value alone. I only have the VSL Prime NPPE so I can't comment on CSS.
I’m using Dorico 5 Pro. Perhaps I should experiment with note values for slurs? (don’t know how to do that yet in Dorico)

Top Bottom