What's new

Nordic Folk Strings - Tagelharpa by Silence+Other Sounds. Intro price + storewide discount

GiuseppeS+OS

Hello everyone,
I'm glad to announce that we have just released Nordic Folk Strings - Tagelharpa.

59$ intro price + Storewide discount: https://silenceandothersounds.com/products/nordic-folk-strings/

Nordic Folk Strings is a Kontakt library based on tagelharpa, the traditional three-strings instrument from Scandinavia. It’s a collaborative project with singer and tagelharpa expert Alessandra Cognetta (Omen, Hellen), who has recorded the whole source material.

Nordic Folk Strings features 2 models of tagelharpa, Bass Tagelharpa and Standard Tagelharpa. Both have been sampled at different time ranges, with different kind of rhythms (straight and triplets) , different tunings and tones.

Rather than sampling long sustained notes, in Nordic Folk Strings we have sampled rhythmic movements, in order to preserve the raw authenticity of the tagelharpa. The movements loops are tempo synched to the DAW and can be combined creatively by using our custom scripted Rhythmic Legato and the innovative Movements Sequencer.

Wowsers, ya'll are doing some really interesting things. This way of sampling the Tagelharpa makes so much sense - well done!

Picking this one up very soon. I've got a real Tagelharpa in the studio since short, but it never hurts to have a few extra options
thanks a lot. I really believe in this rhythmic legato idea as imo it solves the old problem of loops being "static" and unplayable. I might implement it for other things too if it gets traction.

Finally, after numerous Tagelharpa attempts on the market, there is finally someone who understands what a virtual version of this instrument needed.

I was always puzzled about the Tagelharpas out there that only have playable notes. Almost as if they didn't even know (or ignored) how this instrument is used in typical cases.

Thank you for filling the gap and offering something that brings this instrument to life.

Hi Silence and other sounds

Thanks for the release of this library I purchased yesterday, as I am finally composing a desert theme for a song in my album and I thought this library has the right tone I want and I thought it would match with the targelharpa from Groth and yes it does blend very well with it, also it sounds excellent and again awesome that you separated the bass notes that is real good as my track has cello and Targelharpa from Groth and my played Acoustic guitar covering the bass and chordal parts, so really just wanted the higher kind of notes from your Targelharpa which like I said you have separate.

This realisation appeared quick and the problem with this library at the moment is my track is 160bpm and the rhythm in my track needs the targelharpa to go half speed I don't think there is an option to control the speed of the instrument.

I thought maybe I could use the 80 Bpm version as it is half the speed of my tempo but it seems to lock to the tempo. Man if you could have incorporated a speed option of half speed and double speed that could be adjusted by a key switch when you need, kind of like Groth this could have worked for me but I am not sure I can get this library to work with the simple kind of rhythm I need for it to work well in my track now, a speed option could have really made this library pretty insane and really would have helped me out.

I did see the walkthrough you created but I don't remember anything about adjusting the speed maybe I remembered wrong. Maybe I thought the Input Note Quantization feature was actually a speed option feature like Groth, I don't know, that is on me.

I will try and see if I can use this library in this song as it sounds great but it don't look like I will be able to make it work. Maybe you can incorporate a speed option feature adjustable on the fly with key switches in the future?

Finally, after numerous Tagelharpa attempts on the market, there is finally someone who understands what a virtual version of this instrument needed.

I was always puzzled about the Tagelharpas out there that only have playable notes. Almost as if they didn't even know (or ignored) how this instrument is used in typical cases.

Thank you for filling the gap and offering something that brings this instrument to life.
thanks so much for these words. I confess that I was a bit nervous of the whole rhythmic legato thing not being straightforward enough, but hearing such feedback is very encouraging for further usage on other string instruments.

Hi Silence and other sounds

Thanks for the release of this library I purchased yesterday, as I am finally composing a desert theme for a song in my album and I thought this library has the right tone I want and I thought it would match with the targelharpa from Groth and yes it does blend very well with it, also it sounds excellent and again awesome that you separated the bass notes that is real good as my track has cello and Targelharpa from Groth and my played Acoustic guitar covering the bass and chordal parts, so really just wanted the higher kind of notes from your Targelharpa which like I said you have separate.

This realisation appeared quick and the problem with this library at the moment is my track is 160bpm and the rhythm in my track needs the targelharpa to go half speed I don't think there is an option to control the speed of the instrument.

I thought maybe I could use the 80 Bpm version as it is half the speed of my tempo but it seems to lock to the tempo. Man if you could have incorporated a speed option of half speed and double speed that could be adjusted by a key switch when you need, kind of like Groth this could have worked for me but I am not sure I can get this library to work with the simple kind of rhythm I need for it to work well in my track now, a speed option could have really made this library pretty insane and really would have helped me out.

I did see the walkthrough you created but I don't remember anything about adjusting the speed maybe I remembered wrong. Maybe I thought the Input Note Quantization feature was actually a speed option feature like Groth, I don't know, that is on me.

I will try and see if I can use this library in this song as it sounds great but it don't look like I will be able to make it work. Maybe you can incorporate a speed option feature adjustable on the fly with key switches in the future?
hi, you make a very important point here, Alessandra and I have been discussing it a lot. In some of our previous libraries based on tempo synched samples, there's always an 'half tempo' button that does what you're trying to do with Nordic Folk Strings. However, to make such feature musically consistent, I recorded all the original loops at 60 BPM. It translates very well with percussions, but with Tagelharpa the resulting movement sounded fake at higher tempos. I don't know why , instead, for voices worked well(for example the rhythmic chants in Omen), but in the case of the Tagelharpa the feeling of the overall performances was a bit off. Said this, we have some updates that require some experimentation and this is definitely one of them: we might add an instrument specifically thought to work in such cases. Sorry for the long explanation but a lot of thinking went into this library and every aspect turns out to be non obvious 🙂

Hi everyone, I'm the artist who recorded the tagelharpa and bass tagelharpa for this project with Giuseppe and planned the library with him. I'm so so happy you're all enjoying how we went about sampling and overall programming the instruments! Part of it was based on my knowledge as a player for quite a few years now and with how I find stuff useful when I record them for my own projects or session music so I'm glad this reflects for other music producers too.

I play it both traditionally in nordic folk music, and experimentally when I arrange stuff from other genres, where I translate melodies from other instruments (vocals, violins, etc) to be played as a tagelharpa solo. That ended up being the 2+1 format where you can also get a little nyckelharpa alternative on certain ranges. I wanted to work with Giuseppe to translate all this into the library while still keeping in mind the core of what the instrument was meant to be used for originally, with the variety of rhythmic patterns.

We're also thinking a lot about the feedback and ideas we're receiving from you all ❤️

thanks so much for these words. I confess that I was a bit nervous of the whole rhythmic legato thing not being straightforward enough, but hearing such feedback is very encouraging for further usage on other string instruments.
BTW with the same approach here I would love to see a Hurdy-Gurdy as well.
Something that has really edgy rhythmic patterns. Listen to Guilhem Desq & Sébastien Gisbert or the Opening title of the Black Sails TV show to see what unsuspected expressive ranges this instrument has. What you did for the Tagelharpa seems like it could be applied to a Hurdy-Gurdy quite well.

BTW with the same approach here I would love to see a Hurdy-Gurdy as well.
Something that has really edgy rhythmic patterns. Listen to Guilhem Desq & Sébastien Gisbert or the Opening title of the Black Sails TV show to see what unsuspected expressive ranges this instrument has. What you did for the Tagelharpa seems like it could be applied to a Hurdy-Gurdy quite well.
taking notes!😉

Just picked this up and can't wait to check it out. I'm working on an album for Sept release, and I know this needs to get used. BTW, do you have contacts for the players if one wants to replace the VI with the real thing?

Just purchased this library from Zero-G, but can't download it...Conduct is just frozen.
Direct manual links on Continuata.com are also just giving me access denied.
Conduct is one of the most unreliable downloaders. I have had this same problem so many times over the years.
The links worked here but remember they are only good for 24h. Conduct was frozen for me too.

This will do very nicely for a film I'm directing and co-composing, called The Barn (Chichester Film Makers). This will weave in well with the Viking themed mockup we've created for the opening and end sequences of the film. Can't wait to get cracking :2thumbs:

This will do very nicely for a film I'm directing and co-composing, called The Barn (Chichester Film Makers). This will weave in well with the Viking themed mockup we've created for the opening and end sequences of the film. Can't wait to get cracking :2thumbs:
sorry for going off topic, but it's nice you mentioned Chichester. When I used to live in Southampton UK and travelled by the Southern Rails from and to London I always spotted what looked to me like a medieval castle at the Chichester stop. Pops up in my memory when working on this kind of sounds! 🙂

Top Bottom