What's new

Non-guitarists and amp sims

Played inexpensive ukulele few times .....
Use almost all OTS has offered; all Kazrog Thermionik & Recabinet; Guitar Rig 7 Pro.
These need to fill the bill _ so far so good _ tin ear ??

The integrated amps in any Kontakt guitar library ARE Guitar Rig as far as I know (unless they sampled an amped guitar which I think generally is a bad idea).
What I take from that is that Andrew is much better at dialing in a tone than I am. :rofl:

I have been using Neural DSP Archetype Nolly for pretty much everything guitar related (both my mediocre playing on a real guitar and Ample Sound for sampled). It can definitely do cleans but one thing that really helps if using sampled guitars is to turn the input gain way down and then slowly raise it back up if needed.

NAM is also amazing for just messing around with tons of different captures but you are stuck with whatever tone was captured and can't really tweak them much.

There isn't much to be gained (hon hon hon) in terms of realism going from Guitar Rig to other products in my opinion. But if you want ultra modern high gain Fortin tones, NDSP is the gold standard. Most amp sims are really good these days, I'd choose based on tones and workflows - self-contained ecosystems vs. building your own signal chains with plugins from various developers.

Or you could use ToneX, NAM or AIDA-X and lay your fears to rest.

I’m a keyboard player and wanna-be guitarist :) I’ve been delving into the amp sim world lately since I seem to have discovered a taste for distortion. My current goto is the Neural DSP Archetype Gojira, but I also have a number of the Nembrini sims which sometimes get used.

I like to come up with ideas or riffs on guitar, but usually I’ll end up doing the final tracks with VIs - I can get a quicker cleaner take with those than trying to track and edit myself on guitar. I’m trying to develop my guitar technique but it’s not there yet. I like the Shreddage series, particularly for heavy stuff - Shreddage Jupiter and Ample Hellraizer are my favs. Orange Tree Sound has very nice guitars as well, I go back and forth between them and the Shreddage VIs for more bluesy tones.

Since no one mentioned it, I still suggest also looking at Helix native alongside NDSP and others :)

(As a guitar player)

Incidentally, if you want to incorporate Cory Wong's actual tone and playing style... you could also try his sample pack. It's available on Splice:

It includes 182 one-shots, as well as loops that can be chopped and rearranged, etc.

[Edit: I might experiment with putting some of those one-shots into Myth... granular might also be interesting for both one-shots and loops.]

I’m a keyboard player and wanna-be guitarist :) I’ve been delving into the amp sim world lately since I seem to have discovered a taste for distortion. My current goto is the Neural DSP Archetype Gojira, but I also have a number of the Nembrini sims which sometimes get used.

I like to come up with ideas or riffs on guitar, but usually I’ll end up doing the final tracks with VIs - I can get a quicker cleaner take with those than trying to track and edit myself on guitar. I’m trying to develop my guitar technique but it’s not there yet. I like the Shreddage series, particularly for heavy stuff - Shreddage Jupiter and Ample Hellraizer are my favs. Orange Tree Sound has very nice guitars as well, I go back and forth between them and the Shreddage VIs for more bluesy tones.
Do you struggle with overly harsh distortion? I have Hydra from ISW and every single amp I put on makes my ears bleed. I'm clearly doing something wrong 😆

Do you struggle with overly harsh distortion? I have Hydra from ISW and every single amp I put on makes my ears bleed. I'm clearly doing something wrong 😆
Hydra is tough one for me. I want to like it because it goes low, but I find its basic sound to be pretty harsh and bright. There’s probably a way to tame it down but I’ve had much better luck with Jupiter, Rogue, and Serpent.

Hydra is tough one for me. I want to like it because it goes low, but I find its basic sound to be pretty harsh and bright. There’s probably a way to tame it down but I’ve had much better luck with Jupiter, Rogue, and Serpent.
Yeah I kinda feel the same. Regret not buying Jupiter instead.

Do you have a tubescreamer before the amp? Maybe try turning that off. There might also be a "bite" knob somewhere if it's like Jupiter, I don't own Hydra myself.

Basically yes. Looking for a narrow range of mostly clean tones that don't need a lot of work to get right.

As I said, Wong has the kind of tone I'm interested in and it will likely be mostly played on the Amplesound Telecaster.
If you decide to go in the Neural direction, I would trial the Morgan amp suite for clean tones before buying Cory Wong. You get a Princeton Reverb, AC20 and a Dumble-ish type of amp. It sounds amazing with my Telecaster and lap steel. I own Cory Wong and it sounds great but I haven't touched it since I trialed the Morgans.

Do you have a tubescreamer before the amp? Maybe try turning that off. There might also be a "bite" knob somewhere if it's like Jupiter, I don't own Hydra myself.
Yeah I've tried turning it off and also lowering the bite setting. I've also lowered the gain, but strangely it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I always end up with an excessive EQ dip, as an attempt to de-harsh it, that makes the whole thing sound unnatural and too EQ'd. I've even slapped soothe2 on it, but I just can't make it sound good in the mix.

Appreciate the suggestion though!

Yeah, I love the description but don't like the sound or the audio demos tbh. I like Jupiter a lot but programming realistic parts is a huge pita, here's hoping they add some AI to make that easier soon. (Or even better---Synthesizer V for electric guitar---clean electric guitar might be a bit easier, and they may be able to find famous guitarists willing to let AI be trained on their playing and their tones....)

Basically yes. Looking for a narrow range of mostly clean tones that don't need a lot of work to get right.

As I said, Wong has the kind of tone I'm interested in and it will likely be mostly played on the Amplesound Telecaster.
I am someone who uses VI guitars through both Nolly and Cory Wong. In my opinion, if you're looking for just distorted guitar tones...yeah, the likes of Nolly aren't overly special and you can probably go with cheaper or even free amp sims.

But if you're an effects guy, then Neural is still worth considering. I grabbed Wong partly because I just fell in love with both the chorus and shimmer, and I've yet to find anything that I like nearly as much as that. Never heard of Cory Wong before grabbing the plugin, but it had the sound I was wanting.

The simplified workflow is definitely worth considering still, and it's especially valuable if you're someone who loses creative steam very quickly (like me).

If Wong has the sort of tone you're after specifically...really, I don't see why not. If you're concerned about the price, they'll likely have an anniversary sale soon where you can grab it for half off. Usually comes around late April/early May, if I recall correctly.

If Wong has the sort of tone you're after specifically...really, I don't see why not. If you're concerned about the price, they'll likely have an anniversary sale soon where you can grab it for half off. Usually comes around late April/early May, if I recall correctly.
Thanks for that. Did a Google, and looks like their birthday is on April 21st, so just round the corner.

If you decide to go in the Neural direction, I would trial the Morgan amp suite for clean tones before buying Cory Wong. You get a Princeton Reverb, AC20 and a Dumble-ish type of amp. It sounds amazing with my Telecaster and lap steel. I own Cory Wong and it sounds great but I haven't touched it since I trialed the Morgans.
I did actually consider that one too, but it just doesn't sound like the sound I'm after.

I've got too many amp sims - including NeuralDSP and Nembrini - but I always go back to Scuffham S-Gear. It's just gorgeous.
I suspect this will give me the same preset paralysis that Guitar Rig gives me, but I'm going ot download the demo and include it in my assessment. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried Neural DSP stuff. The Cory Wong (also in the "never heard of him before" camp) one and the bass amp were very nice, but better than the free Exe Consulting, Ignite Amps etc. stuff I use? Not in any way that would actually matter. So, I'm really glad I tried and appreciate their free trial a lot, but don't see any benefit. Might actually pay for a good Ampeg B15 sim, though... the best existing one is apparently the brainworx one and it seems meh.

I've also owned electric basses with lots of knobs and switches and always just found one setting I liked and left things there.

I cant't speak for clean and edge-of-breakup tones much, but in high gain world there are plenty of free amp simps with premium sound. I'm sure, for cleans it's true as well, especially with VIs where playability and live response of an amp does not matter.

For non-guitarist it's much easier to get all-in-one amp suite with stomp pedals, selection of amps, good IRs (or cabsim) and post-effects, and, more importantly, bunch of presets to scroll through (just watch the input gain). This is where paid suites wins.

But if you have an idea how to craft guitar tone, I would go for separate plugins. There are many good free amps and pedals (and even full suites like Tonocracy which can ALSO load NAM profiles! It's crazy). Free IR packs and even free cabsims. And with so many amazing free reverbs and delays was released recently... I'm sure it will get you covered.

Pro tip for VI guirars: you can always use EQ before an amp. I't like having your own custom pedal effect.

Top Bottom