What's new

Nolan’s Oppenheimer (Ludwig Göransson)

Ludwig Göransson is not even 40 yet and already has 2 Oscars, 2 Emmys, 4 Grammys, has scored projects for Star Wars, Marvel, and is now Christopher Nolan’s go to composer. Make no mistake, Ludwig Göransson IS the undisputed GOAT, and if you can’t see it now you certainly will by the end of his career!!!!

Ludwig Göransson is not even 40 yet and already has 2 Oscars, 2 Emmys, 4 Grammys, has scored projects for Star Wars, Marvel, and is now Christopher Nolan’s go to composer. Make no mistake, Ludwig Göransson IS the undisputed GOAT, and if you can’t see it now you certainly will by the end of his career!!!!
I think people said the same thing about Aaron Rodgers at one point... 😂 only teasing.

Though, Justin Hurwitz also has 2 Oscars, 2 Grammys, and 4 Golden Globes before turning 40. Are they this era's JW and Hans...?

I think people said the same thing about Aaron Rodgers at one point... 😂 only teasing.

Though, Justin Hurwitz also has 2 Oscars, 2 Grammys, and 4 Golden Globes before turning 40. Are they this era's JW and Hans...?

I’d say that’s accurate, although I don’t hear much talk about Justin Hurwitz, he hasn’t even done that many projects but he got really popular and respected because of La La Land. But he is talented and I’d say his aesthetic is more John Williams and Ludwig’s is more Hans Zimmer, and then we’ve got Daniel Pemberton who is another big hitter in this new era. All three of them are doing something different but of course I’m taking Ludwig over everyone

I’ll just slum it and stick with Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard Herrmann, two guys who only won a single Oscar.

Or some concert composers like Bartok and Lutoslawski. 🙄
When I remember Morriconne only won an Oscar with that Tarantino movie - wich isn’t even one of Ennio’s top works - a bit like a career Oscar… Oscars don’t really matter that much, just remember who’s voting. Even for actors, directors, etc, it’s just the way the star system is put together. It flows with political correctness, or the taste of the moment… I believe Bartok, Stravinsky, hell, Mr. Bach himself would struggle to snatch the little statue in this system.

Oscar has never been the benchmark for excellence in music composition. Until the academy changes its criteria (ie only people in that field nominate AND vote) it will always be a popularity contest and usually Best Score often goes with Best Picture or most popular film. It's seldom about the finest achievement in music to picture. But it's always been that way. Otherwise Alex North, Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and a few others would have taken home more awards.

Top Bottom