What's new

Nobody discussing Korg Odyssey plugin? Plus: a warning for Korg Legacy plugin owners.

TGV

Korg has a new plugin, a virtual Arp Odyssey: https://korg.shop/software/korg-collection-series/single-products/korg-collection-arp-odyssey.html (it's "on offer", but if you own the Legacy bundle, you can get it even cheaper).

Now the warning: if you have plugins registered at korguser.net, you must "soon" transfer them to the new korg.shop website. I don't know how soon that is. However, the process is a bit odd, and was suffering from continuous server crashes, which seem to be over at the moment. The reason for transfer is that korguser.net will disappear and you'll need the new account for downloads and updates. Apparently, there are promises of improving the GUI of the old plugins.

Something that I have been interested for long time, but seeing as they do not update the set of old instruments, i pass again.

Also, the chosen date to make the account transfer, seriously Korg?..... to give them a party.

Something that I have been interested for long time, but seeing as they do not update the set of old instruments, i pass again.

Over here, I see new version numbers, however it seems to be "only" bugfixes. Nevertheless, Korg has nailed the sound of M1 and Wavestations perfectly, so I do not complain. Easily one of the best emulations at a very low price point. And I am curious to listen to the Odyssey - only $49 is very affordable too.

There is a video of someone doing that with the iPad version. It's reasonable to assume the sound generation code is identical (although people have been complaining that the VST or AU version seems to use a lot of CPU, whereas the iPad can have 10 instances without a problem).

Patch 1, rather simple:

Patch 2, pretty complex:

Filter comparison: (high resonance is not that convincing, but the rest sounds pretty good)

[" It's reasonable to assume the sound generation code is identical (although people have been complaining that the VST or AU version seems to use a lot of CPU, whereas the iPad can have 10 instances without a problem).

You can't have more than one instance of the Odyssey iOS app (ODYSSEi) in any iPad or iPhone DAW, because Korg only releases apps in the old IAA format and not the new AUv3 format which allows multiple instantiation.

However, Korg has released simpler versions of their full apps ODYSSEi, Mono/Poly, iM1, and iWAVESTATION within their Gadget app for iPad, iPhone, and Mac. iMS-20 doesn't have a corresponding Gadget yet.

So, for example, Darwin, the Gadget version of iM1, doesn't have multis, and can't be programmed from scratch. But you can program iM1 and transfer the patches you create over to Darwin. Within Darwin, you can do minimal editing of factory & user iM1 patches of things like cutoff, resonance, attack, release, and save them as new ones.

In the case of Lexington, the Gadget version of ODYSSEi, it lacks the extensive modulation capabilities, double x/y pads, and arpeggiator found in ODYSSEi, so unlike iM1/Darwin, some patches don't sound the same. There's also no easy path for user patches from ODYSSEi to go into Lexington.

I'm not sure if there are any differences between iMono/Poly and the Gadget Montpellier and iWAVESTATION and its Gadget Milpitas, except that the full apps have much easier UIs. Perhaps there are other differences. Everything in Gadget is smaller in size.

In terms of the potential future GUI of iWavestation in the Korg Collection, here is what is looks like now (I'm pulling this off their website as I don't own it):

Korg Wavestation.jpg

Here's what it looks like on my iPad:

WS1.PNG WS2.PNG

As you can see from my picture above, iWavestation has a randomize button that can instantly generate some quite complex 16 step/four part sequences out of random waveforms that can be triggered by a key press. Did the original Wavestation or its version in Korg Legacy do that?

Ill wait and see where these plugins go for use on a PC far as better GUI changes, etc. I don't have any of them yet. i have always been a Korg fan far as their sounds. I do own a Korg Triton Sampler keyboard and rack module.

Seems I wasted 49 USD. The new Korg plug-ins authorize, activate and work nicely...
Until I remove the GSM/UMTS SIM device which I used for connecting the computer to the Internet for activating the plug-ins.
Seems like Korg's new copy protection scheme considers the SIM device a part of the computer.
Uninstalled and restored the old Legacy Collection from backup.

That's too bad. So indeed just wasted 50 USD for an Odyssey I can't use. I've filed a support case with Korg.

Top Bottom