What's new

Night & Day (Orchestral Realistic)

I like it. But, there is something weird with Brass section mixing or sound used.

Last edited:
Agreed, updated the mix, some dry parts, drowned them in a little more reverb to sit better with the rest. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this... Many different flavours from Korngold to Don Davis etc.

Your overall mix sounds a bit unfocused and distant.. but I am digging the dynamic range.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! Glad you enjoyed it! and glad you got the references haha :) I made it obvious with the Don Davis One.

Hey guys,
Sharing a new piece, I'll probably be nitpicking alot of timing/notes/dynamics/mixing through the next few days and of course after some good feed back but, here it is! After three long days of focus. hope you all enjoy it!

Edited: MIX

Wow what an incredible mockup--probably one of the best I've ever heard (better than a lot on TV IMO). Obviously, rather noisy, but I assume that helps the realism?

Wow what an incredible mockup--probably one of the best I've ever heard (better than a lot on TV IMO). Obviously, rather noisy, but I assume that helps the realism?

Thank you Thomas, appreciate it!
The noise is mostly something of a throw back to the old orchestral recordings that I used to obsess over. I realized over the years that they are part of the mood so it’s mostly just a homage to old recordings. Things changed now and you don’t hear that in many of the new recordings. It’s a personal thing over all ;)

Thank you Thomas, appreciate it!
The noise is mostly something of a throw back to the old orchestral recordings that I used to obsess over. I realized over the years that they are part of the mood so it’s mostly just a homage to old recordings. Things changed now and you don’t hear that in many of the new recordings. It’s a personal thing over all ;)

There is just one synthy string melody line at 6:20 that stuck out to me. The other issue that jumped out in the realism of the mockup is that some of the brass chords are too perfectly synchronized in timing and in their uniform volume envelopes as if you are playing chords with the same mod wheel movements on all three notes (not particularly offensive, but definitely a bit artificial sounding). On the other hand, the swooping brass at ~5:35 doesn't sound "realistic", but I still thought it sounded really interesting and perhaps could even be pushed further as an effect (though maybe it could get too distracting).

My favorite moment is the transition at 4:48 with the subtle harmonic high brass note--not sure why it struck me since it is arguably so inconsequential.

I never really got into the song its self, but I can imagine it could work well with picture.

There is just one synthy string melody line at 6:20 that stuck out to me. The other issue that jumped out in the realism of the mockup is that some of the brass chords are too perfectly synchronized in timing and in their uniform volume envelopes as if you are playing chords with the same mod wheel movements on all three notes (not particularly offensive, but definitely a bit artificial sounding). On the other hand, the swooping brass at ~5:35 doesn't sound "realistic", but I still thought it sounded really interesting and perhaps could even be pushed further as an effect (though maybe it could get too distracting).

My favorite moment is the transition at 4:48 with the subtle harmonic high brass note--not sure why it struck me since it is arguably so inconsequential.

I never really got into the piece its self, but I can imagine it could work well with picture.

Thanks for the detailed feedback appreciate it, I think I agree on 5:35, it’s actually incomplete there, will update it soon for sure!:)

Edited (5/15/2018) did one final sweep on piece, Really re worked the Mix here...Hope you all like it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom