What's new

[NEW] Synchron World Percussion (free 30 days demo license)

It's much easier to get good results with this library if you use DAW software.
Thanks, Paul. I got pretty much the same answer (word for word) from the VSL forums. Dorico is basically a combined notation and DAW in many ways, so it is different from other notation software, and so I strongly disagree that this statement applies Dorico. You can load up any arbitrary MIDI you want to or record it however you want, and with the same plugin loaded and same MIDI pitches, it would sound the same. The MIDI tooling for working with note timings, velocities and CC's is around the same level as Cubase's. I can even drag and drop the MIDI percussion loop clips from Synchron Player into Dorico.

I would instead think the main challenge inhibiting support at the moment is that you would have to define a large number of the instruments manually, as Dorico's current built-in selection of world instruments is not where it should be. Likewise, there are probably also many techniques specific to these instruments that don't match existing techniques in the list perfectly. You've already had to do this on occasion (ex. adding the Dizi in Synchron Prime necessitated defining a new "Dizi" instrument in Dorico from scratch since it didn't have it before) but I completely understand if its not something you want to get into on a regular basis.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the feedback, we are definitely looking forward to more input!

Very happy to see you all excited!
I really appreciate being able to demo the full product without restrictions. :2thumbs:

Apart from anything else, it helps me figure out whether I need the Full Version, which in this case I definitely do!

It's interesting how some of the Brasilian percussion that directly trace their roots to West Africa are in the latter category for this library (e.g. Shekere vs. Xequerê, and the Caxixi, which most often is part of the playing technique of the Berimbau), but until I receive my just-purchased license, I can't speculate on whether the source instrument beats more resemblance to one over the other.

Ago Ago Bells (aka Agogô) also have a more earthy West African origin (Gankogui), but are listed under Brasil for this library and thus probably follow the form of those bells, which in either case are considered a variant of the Cowbell.

Daf is a funny one, as there is no consensus on what to call the various Middle Eastern Frame Drums, with some insisting that the presence or absence of jingles dictates the name, others saying it's all about the depth, still others claiming the diameter determines the classifications, and some will say that it's a matter of whether it has a tunable head or not.

Most agree that the Riq is always a small one, somewhat akin to a tambourine, but there are variances there as well, and perhaps more importantly, the art of instrument design continues to evolve and hybrids or other permutations appear every few years, upending the traditions.

Although not covered in this library, the Bodhrán is a prime example of a world percussion instrument that in recent years has evolved far beyond its folk roots, and this has completely changed how it is played and its role in the music.

I am convinced that VSL is aware that these are not "museum pieces" per se, as they also included a hybrid instrument from Schlagwerk called the Pandariq, which is like a mash-up of a Brasilian Pandeiro and an Egyptian or Turkish Riq.

I look forward to receiving my license and trying this library on some projects, even though most of those parts are slated to be replaced by live miked instruments as time allows.

As this library contains so many instruments that no developer, to my knowledge, has yet covered, and the price is low for what you get, I consider it an important addition to my arsenal despite the fact that I am not using sample libraries much since the pandemic started and am almost exclusively using live instruments these days.

It is also great that VSL included examples of these instruments in traditional playing styles and phrases, alongside excellent documentation on the details of these instruments (if not always the model or manufacturer chosen, or other stats such as measurements).

Last edited:
I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the various videos on some of the West African percussion instruments. Specifically, the two sabars (small and large) and the two talking drums.
I had the good fortune to live for several years in Senegal, where these instruments are ubiquitous in the music (Sabax and Tama (talking drum)), and having played each of these instruments, it's clear from the video that the percussionist has not mastered the specifics of these instruments.
The way he holds the wooden stick for the sabar is overwhelming evidence of this.
Not to mention the sound of the Talking Drum, which has a very unique variety of pitches due to the pressure generated on the string when played...
Perhaps the VSTs fully reproduce the sound of the instruments, but the demonstration videos are overwhelming.
I was excited to buy this collection believing that VSL would demonstrate the professionalism they are known for, but this is really disappointing.
I'm posting videos of real Tama (talking drum) and Sabar players to compare with the VSL videos.

Real Sabar:

Real Talking Drum:

I agree that the West African demos could use some work for the most part and are not as convincing as the others. Fortunately, this library has so much to offer, and my West African percussion interest lies mostly with slit drums and mallet percussion such as the Gyil and Balafon, that it didn't diminish my enthusiasm for this surprise addition to the Synchron family.

The generous 30 day demo period should allow anyone to try their own hand at using these sounds in a playing style that better matches their expectations, to see if the available articulations and the way in which they were recorded is limiting in any way towards this goal.

I just finished installing the library but won't have a chance to try it until later tonight. Hopefully my ears will tell me the answer, as they have for several other undocumented libraries, but ears can be wrong and material isn't the only thing that determines timbre, so I'm curious if the surdos are wood or aluminum, and their sizes.

Surdos have in fact been going through some wild evolutions lately, with strong regional and genre variants, an almost universal trend towards shallower drums, and also of course the question of goat skin vs. some specialized synthetic head (often powder-covered or textured).

There is a minor GUI bug that doesn't affect the usability of the library (I verified this just now):

All Chocalho patches are labeled Cabalonga above their articulation switches.

They are Chocalho patches though; it appears that only the label was a copy/paste error.

I am not understanding how the Slow repetitions work though, as I just hear a single strike. Maybe the mod wheel is needed (I don't currently have a keyboard hooked up that has one).

At first, I thought there was a global bug in this library, as many of the instruments do not show the keys to use for switching the articulation, but now I see that most are implemented as Stacks and do not need articulation-switching; you can simply disable some articulations to save memory.

Having said that, the Rolls are assigned to just one key (F2), it isn't labeled, and the Rolls apparently don't refer to the slow repetitions (which remain enabled when disabling Rolls) not is the mod wheel required for getting the rolls.

Last edited:
This library is sounding great so far. I am about mid-way through adopting it to my projects.

The Xequerê was a slight surprise as it focuses on the hits vs. the shakes, but it is more traditionally slapped and rolled (or rubbed) than shaken anyway, so the song where I used one for shaking has been transferred to Cabaça using the excellent one in VSL Synchron Percussion.

I can't really tell much difference between African and Brasilian Xequerês at a categorical level (each individual gourd has its own sound), though I own both and my African one is the Axatse variant, which tends to be slightly smaller and uses a different type of beads (Job's Tears). I think Afro-Cuban music uses the Brasilian variant.

Last edited:
Is the user manual expected to be posted soon? It doesn't show up on-line in the user manual index, and when I "guessed" at its URL, there was no page there either.

The cuica is quite different (for the most part) from the one in SYNCHRON-ized Percussion. Together, they form a fairly complete set of timbres, pitches, and articulations.

For short tonally centered pitches, Synchron World Percussion doesn't do that except for the Very Low and the High pitches, whereas the older library mostly did that for the middle pitches. Many of the longer articulations are similar, but the new library has more variations of non-constant rubbing motions. Both are recorded extremely well, but the new library does fully replace the old, just as was the case with some stuff in VSL Synchron Percussion.

The tamborim is incredible! This is an instrument that appears simple on the surface, until you try to actually master it, and it is clear that the chosen performer is someone well-versed with the instrument. Very dynamic, clear, good articulation choice, and excellent timbre.

One hint might be the graphic for the Brasilian Shaker. My ears tell me this is the Egg Shaker from VSL Percussion, perhaps with additional articulations due to the Rolls feature.

As the graphic matches VSL Percussion and thus also shows the long Ganza (labeled Medium Tube in VSL Percussion, but it's an orchestral model from Kolberg vs. a Brasilian model), and as some key non-chromatic percussion are missing, I expect there will be a followup or an update.

Last edited:
I hope VSL doesn’t stop here for more world percussions, there are many regions that’s not covered.
I get the sense that VSL is just starting to dip their toes in the world instruments area, to see how many people jump onboard. I hope they also eventually revisit some instruments they've already done, like the Duduk. The current Duduk library is only sampled at about p or pp dynamic, except for the lone recorded crescendo sample, which makes it very hard to use in a lot of cases. It's not that we necessarily need a Duduk to go to fff - if only we could get more of an mp or mf sound out of it, it would be so much better. The quality of the recording is great, but unless you just need a Duduk teetering on the edge of silence, it isn't too useful.

If you look at the volume numbers of all the Synchron stuff in the player, you'll see some interesting gaps that may provide some hints of what's to come. The collection certainly isn't done yet! The road map must've been made a number of years ago; they are NOT making it up as they go along!

If you look at the volume numbers of all the Synchron stuff in the player, you'll see some interesting gaps that may provide some hints of what's to come.
Maybe - but if you're experiencing future growth, you normally leave gaps of this kind, without necessarily knowing whether they will be filled, if they will be.

The volume numbers look to me as if they have simply created ranges for categories, to try to keep things in a reasonable sort order:

01 to 09 - Strings
11 to 19 - Percussion
21 to 29 - Woodwinds and Brass
31 to 39 - Vocals/Choir/?

I wouldn't read too much into them having exact libraries in mind for those slots.

When attempting to download the library using Vienna Assistant on my Windows Machine Norton Antivirus interrupted the installation and now the Vienna Assistant application is gone and can not be installed again, without Norton interrupting. I remember having turned off some Norton function to be able to install Vienna Assistant in the past but I just can not remember the exact details. Does anyone else know what to turn off in Norton?
For those sort of questions, you're best off going to the VSL forums, or contacting their tech support via email at [email protected].

I was going to dig deeper tonight and give more feedback, but last night's update to VSL Synchron Player on MacOS Intel has it in an infinite spin on startup. Do I simply need to wait an hour or so for it to finish initializing? I tried Force Quit with a restart several times now. Never seen this before!

UPDATE: 90 minutes later, it finally finished initializing and brought up the GUI!

UPDATE: I SPOKE TOO SOON! It only shows one patch, period, for timpani, in VSL Synchron Percussion, even though the settings tab shows that all libraries are found.

It looks to be an iLok problem as it says it can't find a background component, but their website seems to be down at the moment, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh, it finally loaded, and though this appears easily fixable and specific to macOS Ventura, I'll lkeave this here in case anyone else is affected.

Due to horrendous performance recently, and serious issues getting some newer Kontakt libs to load as I had to finally do some Unix deep-diving to get Native Access 2 to finally work, I purged unrecognized stuff from Login Items, and as the help page below makes clear, the one for iLok is incorrectly identified in macOS Ventura as AVID Pro Tools, which I do not have and thus disabled.

Last edited:
You did see the message from iLok about their servers being unavailable for a time due to scheduled maintenance/changes?

You did see the message from iLok about their servers being unavailable for a time due to scheduled maintenance/changes?
The fact that iLok can go down at any time, leaving people unable to access their VSTs, is another reason that machine activation should be offered as an option. It's sad that cloud activation is the only choice given.

Top Bottom