What's new

New: Quetzal - The Sounds of Ancient Mesoamerica by Eduardo Tarilonte

marko1

Best Service Marko

Quetzal - Something between myth and reality​

ea-quetzal-hometop-banner-v3.png

Embark with us on a journey on the back of the quetzal, a bird found in the cloud forests of Central America, to discover the mystical expanses of the Mesoamerican jungle's sounds.

This unique sound world brings to life the mystical era of Mesoamerican civilizations and allows you to experience the sounds of a forgotten time up close. Discover a majestic collection of clay flutes, original reproductions of the instruments of the past, and be inspired by ancient drums and over 80 soundscapes.

Quetzal offers over 7,000 individual samples and more than 50 playable instruments. With elaborate multisamples and various articulations, Quetzal provides a versatile and authentic sound palette for any production.

ea-quetzal-gui-banner-v-3-1300.png

Quetzal is the very first product specifically developed for the Engine Player. The meticulously designed user interface makes working with the library a breeze and allows you to unleash your creativity fully. Enjoy seamless control and breathtaking sound quality with our innovative sample player!

Quetzal is the perfect tool for composers and sound designers to compose music and atmospheric sounds for films, documentaries, video games, or music of various genres.

Key Features Overview​

• Over 7,000 individual samples
  • More than 50 playable instruments
  • Mysterious flutes telling ancient legends
  • Ancient drums following the heartbeat of the earth
  • 80 captivating soundscapes
  • Vocals resonating with the wisdom of ancient priests
  • Over 80 premade presets
ea-quetzal-video-banner-1300.png

The combination of an excellent selection of instruments and dreamy sonic atmospheres creates a powerful collection that leaves nothing to be desired in terms of included sounds and their quality.

Quetzal is now available for download for €159.

Crossgrade offer for owners of an ERA Library by Eduardo Tarilonte​

ea-quetzal-crossgrade-banner.png

For the first four weeks, we're offering the Quetzal Crossgrade at an exclusive special price of only €/$ 99 instead of €/$ 129.​

I love what Eduardo Tarilonte does. I just wonder - as I already have Forest Kingdom and Maleventum 2 - if it wouldn't be a little redundant for me. Okay... I'm just digging for arguments to not jump on it immediatly, but it's hard :D. Congratulation Best Service for that new release !

Is the 159 (for non-crossgrade) an intro price, or the standard price going forward?

Last edited:
as I already have Forest Kingdom and Maleventum 2 - if it wouldn't be a little redundant for me. Okay... I'm just digging for arguments to not jump on it immediatly, but it's hard :D
Same here! Somehow I do feel though, that this is like a "mini Forest Kingdom", but I am yet to realize how this is different and what does it bring to the table. A walkthrough would be nice, because those demos sounded very similar what I could already achieve with FK alone, not to mention the kazillion other libraries I have. Now it's like "here's five demos with flute FX, some hand percussion and a pad. Surely you can't do this without this new library!".

Then again, it's 99 € for me minus some bestcoins minus VAT.....basically criminally cheap. So it is hard indeed. :D I'd really like to see that walkthrough though!

My internal debate didn't last long... I don't know how it happened but the library magicaly appeared on my hard drive :P

First impressions : it seems smaller than the other ones because there are a lot of different versions of the sames intruments, but the ones we've got are very detailled, with many phrases and articulations. The Death Whistle for example has many variations and I think it's the most complete we can find. At first sight, I have the feeling that the instruments are not very easy to use. The sound of them is so singular, and with so much character that it can be difficult to incorporate them in more common music. But I think some of the intruments can still combine well (the percs and some flutes like the Quena or the Huilacapitzli - yes I read my screen for the spelling :D). My favorite intrument for now might be the "Sounding Figurine", very warm and cool sound. And of course the soundscapes are great, as usual, and there are many of them, in different variations.
The librarie seems very suitable to create great ambiences, with a scary vibe.
Many flutes have a lot of pitch variation and I wonder if someday the new Engine could add some MPE integration, it could be interesting.
So I think it's a very good one, but I will have to tame those unusual instruments.

The flutes are so good. I have every library from Tari but I think it's worth it just for:
Quena
Ocarinas
Slide Flute
Triple Flute (!!)

And when I say "worth it" I'm not talking about the very cheap crossgrade price but the inane hassle of installing an installer just to download one RAR file and not be able to choose where any of the Engine Player stuff is installed, etc.
The Engine Player is better, yes, but it still has a lot of the feel of Engine, which is shit.
But all that said, at least the font is actually readable!
100% worth it, sounds so good.

I always recommend rearranging the patches to your liking in Engine, there are so many subfolders it drives me batty trying to wade through them with a mouse for 2-3 patches in each folder. For the winds there are like 48 patches in 20 different subfolders, I just threw them all in one folder, so much easier.

It sounds really nice, don't get me wrong, and the crossgrade price for me is a very easy decision to purchase, but is Tarilonte running out of ideas? This is basically very similar to Forest Kingdom in its Central/South American elements. Did we need something so similar?

Wait I did just check rn, but for a library that’s specifically meant to be set in ancient mesoamerica why is there a Quena? Quenas are like 4000+ km away from mesoamerica, and beyond the obvious fact that this is already really similar to forest kingdom 3. I don’t get why so many people develop this sort of exoticism obsession with this part of the world and promptly just straight up ignore the other half of the equation regarding the folk instruments that exist today in mexico/central america/ the rest of hispanoamerica.

There would’ve been A LOT of really interesting baroque-era folk instruments from just mexico alone that if included could’ve given the library a more unique identity. From the son jarocho guitars like the requinto and jarana jarocha, to the rest of stringed instruments found in mexico from regional harps, to the old spanish vihuela and the current mexican vihuela, the guitarron, the bandolon, the jarana huasteca, the tiny canari, the bajo quinto and sexto, mexican psalteries, and many others I’m missing out.

But there’s also even other types of instruments like stringed ones, the violín tzeltal and xaweri for example even being a case of cultural syncretism. But aside from this there’s also the percussions like the mexican take of the tamboril, the marimbol or bass kalimba, the Marimba itself, pandero jarocho, etc.

I understand that the point was to be this sort of mystic and so-foreign with the way the product is approached, and I can at least appreciate the rare instruments that are indeed present within the package. But like I mentioned I do think its a complete wasted potential how many interesting and unique folk instruments are often ignored. Especially when something like a Quena would rather be placed than any of what I mentioned in this specific instance, despite being 4000+ kilometers away.

Wait I did just check rn, but for a library that’s specifically meant to be set in ancient mesoamerica why is there a Quena? Quenas are like 4000+ km away from mesoamerica, and beyond the obvious fact that this is already really similar to forest kingdom 3. I don’t get why so many people develop this sort of exoticism obsession with this part of the world and promptly just straight up ignore the other half of the equation regarding the folk instruments that exist today in mexico/central america/ the rest of hispanoamerica.

There would’ve been A LOT of really interesting baroque-era folk instruments from just mexico alone that if included could’ve given the library a more unique identity. From the son jarocho guitars like the requinto and jarana jarocha, to the rest of stringed instruments found in mexico from regional harps, to the old spanish vihuela and the current mexican vihuela, the guitarron, the bandolon, the jarana huasteca, the tiny canari, the bajo quinto and sexto, mexican psalteries, and many others I’m missing out.

But there’s also even other types of instruments like stringed ones, the violín tzeltal and xaweri for example even being a case of cultural syncretism. But aside from this there’s also the percussions like the mexican take of the tamboril, the marimbol or bass kalimba, the Marimba itself, pandero jarocho, etc.

I understand that the point was to be this sort of mystic and so-foreign with the way the product is approached, and I can at least appreciate the rare instruments that are indeed present within the package. But like I mentioned I do think its a complete wasted potential how many interesting and unique folk instruments are often ignored. Especially when something like a Quena would rather be placed than any of what I mentioned in this specific instance, despite being 4000+ kilometers away.
I think maybe they don't fit into the time period Quetzal represents.

I think maybe they don't fit into the time period Quetzal represents.
I think that considering the way pads, breathing fx, and the quena were added that the sort of thing this library was after was more so an impressionism new age sort of approach to getting ancient mesoamerica. I think the baroque folk instruments would not be at all of the time period of the mexica or any of the mayan city states of their time ofc, but both instruments did and still do overlap to this day in the territories otherwise we wouldn’t be here talking about the mesoamerican-origin instruments.

I think in any case the sort of execution of how these baroque instruments couldve been interpreted and shown up couldve still lent a very atmospheric and also unique sound that wouldve been on the same level as any of their pads or fx but with an actual folk background to it as well.

Interested but can't be bothered with Engine. Pass.

What's wrong with Kontakt?
For what it's worth, it is a new version of Engine. But to be honest, if you don't like the original I'm not sure that new version will please you. It is, however, less buggy.

Top Bottom