What's new

New piece for full orchestra.

Sounds very nice ! As I commented on your piece in the other thread, all the material is very musical and interesting.
The main reason I commented before was more about the "process" than the actual piece. I know you write well.
One reason the technique of variation and motivic development is so useful (aside from aesthetics) is, personally speaking, for me it helped write faster without losing the quality of the music (* we all have good and bad days --).

One thing that also really helped me in this area was doing study in fugue and counterpoint. I know some people on this forum clinch their butt-cheeks when they hear those terms, but I found it fascinating. If I may --- and if this takes away attention from what you are wanting discussed I will happily take my post down -- post two very very simple compositions in which the composer develops a single motivic idea. These are not so much "revolutionary" as they are showing a great economy of craft. My opinion of course.

Great to hear you post again.
Best wishes !

Due to the feedback I received in this thread:
https://vi-control.net/community/th...-attempt-at-a-fully-orchestrated-piece.59318/
I thought I would work on my motif writing skills.

Would love feedback on how I went with the thematic material.

The piece is not completely mixed yet nor have the performances been tweaked.

Nice writing! I thought the use of the thematic material through all the different instrument families/new textures was good. You should check the OST to Howls Moving Castle, some elements of your writing reminded me of it.

Sounds very nice ! As I commented on your piece in the other thread, all the material is very musical and interesting.
The main reason I commented before was more about the "process" than the actual piece. I know you write well.
One reason the technique of variation and motivic development is so useful (aside from aesthetics) is, personally speaking, for me it helped write faster without losing the quality of the music (* we all have good and bad days --).

One thing that also really helped me in this area was doing study in fugue and counterpoint. I know some people on this forum clinch their butt-cheeks when they hear those terms, but I found it fascinating. If I may --- and if this takes away attention from what you are wanting discussed I will happily take my post down -- post two very very simple compositions in which the composer develops a single motivic idea. These are not so much "revolutionary" as they are showing a great economy of craft. My opinion of course.

Great to hear you post again.
Best wishes !

Thanks once again for the feedback. I did find it much easier to write this piece using my thematic material as a basis for almost all my decisions.
I quite like the pieces you posted. I definitely enjoy refining my craft and any advice that helps me write faster is always welcome.

Nice writing! I thought the use of the thematic material through all the different instrument families/new textures was good. You should check the OST to Howls Moving Castle, some elements of your writing reminded me of it.

Thanks caleb! Glad my thematic material was coherent. I'll have to check out the ost - I love Ghibli music but haven't heard that soundtrack.

Top Bottom