What's new

New build: Latency

For instance, I
You might be better offer by moving to a single GPU that has 4 outputs to save on PCIe resources.
Run it in 8X mode and that might free up some PCIe lanes for the other slots; check if the board allows that.
just so I get this right- I pop the new single GPU in a Pcie16 slot, and switch its operation to half bandwith in the bios, thus boosting the bandwith of other Pcie slots? Does it work that way?

just so I get this right- I pop the new single GPU in a Pcie16 slot, and switch its operation to half bandwith in the bios, thus boosting the bandwith of other Pcie slots? Does it work that way?
It doesn't boost the bandwidth of other slots but might mean that more PCIe lanes are free to be allocated to other slots which might otherwise be disabled.
You need to check carefully in the manuals to see how this works as I'm hazy on this one.

Looking at such single GPUs with 4+ outputs now, "semi-Passively cooled" seems the way to go as their fan will probably not operate at non-gaming chore level. All things equal, do I benefit from picking, say, a MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor 8G OC (8GB GDDR5) over its 4GB sibling, especially if I am eyeing throttling down its operation to 8x from 16x?

For non gaming usage 4GB is fine.
If using it for video editing or similar then that may benefit but you’d need to research that whole area separately.

mind you I am driving 4 monitors, if that matters here?
I am bringing this up because price difference is negligeable between the 4 and 8GB cards

they are not cheaper here but that doesn't matter, do they run quieter? what criteria am I looking at? thanks

Hey sorry guys to hijack the AMD thread here...

I was kind of in the same situation as the threadstarter few weeks ago. Intel or AMD? Decided for Intel cause I finally want to run a template smooth at 256 samples.
I'm building a Teldex Template as I write this here on the new i9 10920x (posted here on another thread). Just finished building the Spitfire Lyndhurst template 2 days ago. I can't say for the Embertone Walker (cause I don't have it). But my DAW eat up HZ Piano (pratically all mics on) like it was a Gummibear. CPU spikes where around 9-11% when hitting clusters on the keayboard then settling back to 1-2% when playing normal. Having 256gb Ram though.

Can you share your build? Especially grateful for mobo recommendations that support 128gb+ RAM. Thanks!

they are not cheaper here but that doesn't matter, do they run quieter? what criteria am I looking at? thanks
Ahh, yes... My bad, not cheaper but almost the same price...
The vantage is that they produce a lot less heat.

Can you share your build? Especially grateful for mobo recommendations that support 128gb+ RAM. Thanks!
Motherboard capable to handle more than 128GB for Intel:
(broken link removed)

Motherboard capable to handle more than 128GB for AMD:
(broken link removed)

Look for one that has the fans turned off when the GPU is not being heavily loaded.
The older Radeon cards are relatively power hungry when using multiple monitors so avoid those.
A waste of power, excess heat and more likely to spin the fans up.
This site tests for fan noise and power consumption with multi-monitors: Techpowerup

This page states which 5500 models support fan stop - Fan Stop

Okay, so here they are...

-i9 10920x (OC -> 4.66ghz)
-Asus Prime x299 a-ii (very important to have the re-built versions, doesn't matter if it's a asrock, Asus, gigabyte or whatsoever. Just get a mainboard with cooling on the bridge otherwise the 9/10gen will burn 'em)
-Corsair LPX 2666 (8x32gb) ram
-2× 940? Samsung Evo m.2 à 1tb
-Crucial? P1 M.2 1tb
-6× Sata Ssd (sandisk/samsung/etc) ~ 3tb
-Deepcool Assassin iii (CPU cooler)
- 40×40 noctua Mainboard cooler
- 4× bequiet! 140×140case fans
- 2× 1tb Seagate barracuda 64mb cache as datagraves
- Rme hdspe aio with wcm and 4 i/o extensions
- Rme adi-2
- rme hdsp to Multiface
- Asus CG-100x 10gb lan
- Asus 1060 6gb ram GPU
- bequiet case 500
- 3x external USB ssd
- 4 internal usb ports (for all the syncrosoft/ilok dongles)
- cubase 10
- ve pro6
- win 10 pro (virtual memory to the minimum)
...and Intel rapid storage didn't work. At least it got over my knowledge. But that's pretty much it. Gave few of my i7 3770k with 32gb ram my friend cause there is pretty much no need for it anymore.

While I am still absorbing the good advice and info here, I am at present re-considering the intel option, not least because of my realtime audio priorities. I understand Zen3 may introduce a contender, but I am pressed for time, plus there seems to be a certain amount of incertainty involved as far as latency goes.
AR you champion the 10920x, what's the internecine competition and how they measure up? 9900x faster single clock speeds?
I already got Pictus' GPU recommendation 5500 xt, so I assume any CPU that also exists in a non integrated-graphics variety should be picked over the "complete" model, as they also seem to overclock better?

Pictus stresses AMD likes fast RAM, and AR I see on intel you make do with 2666 (albeit the full 256GB)- how does that affect the realtime sample lib playing?

Case size: is there any benefit to opting for an oversize solution, regarding noise isolation and ventilation? (Fractal r7 exists in oversize as well). Another angle here is that for audio cards with multiple expansion boards that attach to rear slots for cable traffic, the run of the mill 7 or 8 slots of a regular case are insufficient, especially considering the GPU will occupy at least 2 of those. I see that some medium size cases add vertical rear slots, how the cards/expansions attach there is unclear to me as there is no mainboard slot fixation.

Top Bottom