What's new

Netflix's most popular documentary is embroiled in AI controversy

Alchemedia

Decomposer
"The recent Netflix true crime documentary “What Jennifer Did” is mediocre in almost every way, but nefariously unethical in another. The 90-minute streaming doc concerns the tragic story of the Pan family. In 2010, Jennifer Pan, a 24-year-old Vietnamese Canadian woman living with her family near Toronto, arranged to have her parents killed...

The controversial use of AI imagery in TV is nothing new. But its apparent use here may be the most egregious yet. These [AI altered] photos of Jennifer are a form of evidence, a crucial glimpse into Jennifer’s life, that led her to hire three men to kill her parents."

There needs to be obligation to add a label like "explicit lyrics" was to signal the use of AI, for music movies and TV, especially for a documentary - it is such a bad and unethical practice.

Yeah, it's like those big humanitarian aid agencies that also use AI images of children in some of their campaigns, because it's unethical and inhumane to use the actual children in dire straits for campaigns.

It seems to extend the natural limits of what we should be exposed to in public space. I feel it's a sort of radicalization that should be regulated by law, because it contributes to justify radical behaviour and exposure as normal, even though it isn't.

But then again, the news does this too now.

I saw this doc and yes, applying fictitious picture(s) is totally inexcusable,
especially knowing that the executive producer denies any AI manipulation.
I think this "true crime" documentary's chicanery is in and of itself guilty of a crime!
Unfortunately, AI is only in its infancy.

"The recent Netflix true crime documentary “What Jennifer Did” is mediocre in almost every way, but nefariously unethical in another. The 90-minute streaming doc concerns the tragic story of the Pan family. In 2010, Jennifer Pan, a 24-year-old Vietnamese Canadian woman living with her family near Toronto, arranged to have her parents killed...

The controversial use of AI imagery in TV is nothing new. But its apparent use here may be the most egregious yet. These [AI altered] photos of Jennifer are a form of evidence, a crucial glimpse into Jennifer’s life, that led her to hire three men to kill her parents."

The executive producer of the documentary says that AI images were not used. That the photos used are real photos, but the backgrounds of a couple of photos were Photoshopped to anonymize the source.

What it looks like to me is that the photos in question have been enhanced using photo tools in order to clarify the images and heighten the resolution.

So the question is, did they actually use AI or does someone merely THINK they did and has blown this out of proportion? I agree that AI photos should not be used in a non-fiction story, but the producer is denying it happened. And I'm the kind of person that wants verifiable proof of wrongdoing before I accuse someone.

Last edited:
Which will help how, exactly?
Me. So I know not to watch it and to doubt ALL of its content as it ceases to be reliable as soon as you put "AI generated" and "documentary" in the same sentence.

Me and other two people probably.

You have legal obligations to put labels on food products and such. Me, consumer, wants to know the ingredients.

If they stink of AI I avoid.

Right. I was asking about society at large.
The answer of AudioLoco seems pretty simple to understand. If you put on the breakfast cereals that your kids are eating each morning that it was grew with genetically modified organisms and the use of huge amount of pesticids, it's not a very good publicity - but it's the truth.
Same with a documentary with the mention "use of AI generated pictures"...

Question is : how to spot AI generated pictures if the people using them are lying ?

Top Bottom