What's new

Need WAV to AIFF File Converter (PC)

stevebarden

I need to convert batches of WAV files to AIFF (I'm on a PC). I Googled such software and see a bunch of free programs. Can anyone recommend one that is good and does not contain malware? Free or paid software is fine. Thanks!

Audacity

Free, open source, cross-platform audio software
Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
Audacity is free, open source software.

Export / Import
Import, edit, and combine sound files. Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files at once

Ok, I downloaded and tried Audacity. Unfortunately it doesn't support AIFF export on the PC. It probably does if running on a Mac.

A +1 to ffmpeg. Easy to use, fast and efficient. If you aren't much of a programmer and don't want to spend time looking it up you could probably go ask chatGPT to generate the proper flags lol

I see that you have to manually install FFmpeg due to patent restrictions. Does this support AIFF?

I don't have it installed right now, but I think iTunes for windows can do this.
You could also start a free trial of Adobe CC and use Adobe Media Encoder. This would be the least hassle option for batch converting. If you have a graphic designer friend, it's likely they have some old boxed versions of Adobe CC like CS5 or whatever. That would have Media Encoder. They might be willing to give one to you. I've given my old versions away to friends and family. I talked to Adobe support. They say to use old boxed versions of their software, simply don't register it. I don't think you'll get updates, but you'll be able to use it just fine.

Version 2 of Xrecode always did what I needed it to, but haven't had cause to use it for years, and have no experience of v3.
Probably worth a look, anyway.

I got FFmpeg installed and was able to successfully export AIFF files, however, the filenames didn't include the extension ".aiff". I had to edit the filenames manually. Is there a way to tell the Audacity export to include that as part of the Custom FFmpeg Export?

Last edited:
I got FFmpeg installed and was able to successfully export AIFF files, however, the filenames didn't include the extension ".aiff". I had to edit the filenames manually. Is there a way to tell the Audacity export to include that as part of the Custom FFmpeg Export?
If you are unable to find a solution and still need to manually add the extension, Microsoft PowerToys gives you a feature called PowerRename. It allows you to select multiple files and rename them all at once. It works for extensions as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Audacity just wasn't designed to do this as I needed it done. I ended up purchasing Switch Audio File Converter by NCH Software ($25). I just drag-and-drop the files into the app and click Convert and it's done. No fuss - no muss!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Audacity just wasn't designed to do this as I needed it done. I ended up purchasing Switch Audio File Converter by NCH Software ($25). I just drag-and-drop the files into the app and click Convert and it's done. No fuss - no muss!
Oh no...I'm 11 minutes too late. Reaper can do it, and it has a batch converter. Glad you found a solution!

MediaHuman Audio Converter is free and will batch convert to/from all sorts of formats. I use it all the time for loop conversion.

It’ll also recreate folder structure during the conversion which is super useful.

Top Bottom