What's new

Need Expert Help: Assigning Mod-Wheel to Group-Volume.

andreascw

Hi!

I'm creating a sample library in EXS24 where I have different groups.
AMB, TREE and CLOSE mic pos groups.

So I want to control the distance of the instrument with my Mod Wheel.

For example:
When I turn my mod wheel UP, I want the volume of my AMB and TREE mics to increase and the CLOSE mics to decrease.
When I turn my mod wheel DOWN, I want the volume on my AMB+TREE mics to decrease and my CLOSE mics to increase.

Is there any way to do this with EXS24?

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Andreas

The only way to smoothly fade between samples in EXS is to re-purpose the zone-based (as opposed to group-based) velocity ranges. Let's pretend for a minute that you have no dynamic layers that you want to switch between using note velocity or another controller. Here's what you'd do:

- Within a single Group, or multiple Groups (doesn't matter), assign each mic position to separate velocity ranges in the Zones page.

- Change the left-most mod matrix slot to have Sample Select in the top parameter and Mod Wheel in the bottom parameter, with the range slider set to max.

- Just above that, adjust the Xfade and Xfade Curve parameters to achieve a smooth crossfade.

The only problem is that now you've got no velocity switching between dynamic layers.

It's a huge bummer, but that's life in EXS land.

Thank you so much Charlie.
I tried making two EXS libraries. One with the close mics and one with the far mics and inverted the mod wheel on one of them. It worked great but your option ended up being the final solution. Works great! Hopefully Apple will add a Group Volume to Mod Wheel feature some day tho. THANKS!

CASE SOLVED!

For those using the latest "Sampler" update in 2020; is there still no "Group Volume" option as a modulation destination?

How ironic, i was googling how to do this in Sampler and ended up on my own thread for EXS24.. Tom_D, did you find a solution to this yet?

CASE UNSOLVED!

How ironic, i was googling how to do this in Sampler and ended up on my own thread for EXS24.. Tom_D, did you find a solution to this yet?

CASE UNSOLVED!
Nope have not. Although I haven't given it much attention as I've changed up my workflow which included a move from mac to pc, so I haven't been using logic as much lately. Hopefully you can figure it out, and share it here if you do!

There is an alternative to load EXS as a multi output instrument and route the groups to a few Auxes. After that a small environment setup can be created which will transform the MW into say three F7 messages which will tweak the Aux volume faders. A transformer should be added to reverse one of the faders. It is easy. If you have an interest I can show such a scheme.

Top Bottom