What's new

My first (proper) attempt at a fully orchestrated piece!

It's very well done, in my opinion... if I have to nitpick it's a bit incoherent as for the musical material used, more like the juxtaposition of different moods than the development of an idea... but that could be irrelevant

Agree with Rob. Impressive for a first piece. Great composition and mockup! What I would have wished for is a more coherent musical structure to lock onto. Did you write it to picture?

Yes I agree 100% about the thematic material.

My goal was to write something as if it were locked to picture. I wrote the sequence as if themes had already been established and were being recalled for small segments (I hope that makes sense).

Perhaps I could have worked harder at incorporating them.

The heroic theme is played by the oboe at the beginning and then octave strings in the end sequence but they are so far apart and fleeting that I feel no body probably could notice.

The evil theme I took inspiration from Lutoslawski.

Thanks for the comments :) Really appreciate the feedback

Well done ! I wish my first orchestration was this successful. As others have said my feeling was like listening to
a overture prelude. It all sounds nice.... I think more varied repetition of ideas would do it. (Varied repetition basically means you take what you stated in the opening and change enough for the listen to feel that it is both familiar but yet different. ie. development.) Look towards to usual suspects. Change the instrumentation the second time, sequences, inversions, modulations etc......

Bravo. Hope to hear more from you

Well done ! I wish my first orchestration was this successful. As others have said my feeling was like listening to
a overture prelude. It all sounds nice.... I think more varied repetition of ideas would do it. (Varied repetition basically means you take what you stated in the opening and change enough for the listen to feel that it is both familiar but yet different. ie. development.) Look towards to usual suspects. Change the instrumentation the second time, sequences, inversions, modulations etc......

Bravo. Hope to hear more from you
Thank you kindly :)

Perhaps for my next piece I will focus in on a single motif and develop it

Agree with the others, it sounds well produced and definitely has the vibe, but it could also do with a hook. I'd recommend watching any of the @mverta unleashed videos, they're gold dust.

Agree with the others, it sounds well produced and definitely has the vibe, but it could also do with a hook. I'd recommend watching any of the @mverta unleashed videos, they're gold dust.
Thanks for the input. I must admit, i didnt really go into this piece with the idea of achieving a memorable melody that I would develop. I was aiming more at a set action piece using melodic fragments.

I bought one of Mikes classes and unfortunately got nothing out of it. To be fair he did stress in the video that getting the most value out of it would come from watching it live and interacting, which I did not

That's the work of someone with a whole lot of talent.
Wow thank you Dave :)

I used to write in exactly the same way for the first 5-8 years of composing. It's perfectly valid as any other way. However I simply did not have the craft to expand small ideas into larger pieces. This may not be true for you.

Doug

It's definitely something I need to work on. Although I am conscious of trying to work with a motif, I deviate too far too often I think. Thanks for taking the time!

Really nice orchestration and composition. I don't know why but it really reminds me of the Princess Mononoke soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi, one of my favorite composers. I think with the ingredients you got here, you could make a lot longer piece and it would have a better flow. Good job!

-Hannes

Really nice orchestration and composition. I don't know why but it really reminds me of the Princess Mononoke soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi, one of my favorite composers. I think with the ingredients you got here, you could make a lot longer piece and it would have a better flow. Good job!

-Hannes
Ill take that comparison as a compliment haha! Thanks for the feedback

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Mike, it was an orchestration class I believe.

In all the years I've been doing classes, nobody has ever said they got nothing out of multiple hours of instruction, so your comment is concerning. Please send me your purchase details so I can get you refunded, a different class, or gain a better understanding of how this is possible!

_Mike

Top Bottom