What's new

Musio quality issues, or is it just me?

I've not yet sent the feedback, because I'm still in the middle of going through the library, and I keep bumping into problem sample.

After very light testing I find quality problems with a lot of the samples. I can take a random instrument, hold a note, and there you have it more often than not.

The so-called pro instruments have these issues. Not very pro, when you get a pumping sound after pressing a second or two. In fact, I'm starting to regret my purchase, and now I also understand why the library is so small in size.

What the hell? Are the Kontakt versions this bad too?

Anyone who actually got Musio subscription or Musio 1, do you get these issues? It's easiest to hear in the higher notes from C4 and up.

They're so prevalent that I'm starting to see why this is so often a discount product. They clearly have big troubles in quality control, and that's why they have postponed many launches.

Example instruments (Note that these are just a small example. I didn't go through all the libraries but started to take a listen to random instruments. Then I stopped, because the loop jumps are prevalent everywhere):

Cinewinds Pro:

-Duduk longs
*A very noticeable pumping effect after about a second

-Bass flute
*E4 to G4 in addition to the flute sound, you get a slightly piercing metallic screeching with it

-Border pipes
*D4, Rapid machine gun effect. Hold a note for 3 seconds, and you'll hear it.
*Other notes, hold a note over 3 second, and you'll get a noticeable loop pumping

-Eb clarinet
*Again, after 3 seconds you get the loop pump

EDIT: Removed the Tina Guo and Taylor Davis mentions as apparently you're supposed to use the "infinite bow" versions to not have the bow change jumps. So, if you use them, the non-infinite versions need to be used in a certain way to make them sound natural around the bow changes. EDIT ENDS.

Yes, I'm aware that you wouldn't that often hold one note that long with most instruments, but in those moments, where you actually do hold a note a bit over 3 seconds, you'll have problems with many instruments in this library.

I'll end the test here, because whatever random thing I pick, the problems present themselves. The sound of the instruments is fabulous, but you do have to carefully play around the loops to make the library work. Some instruments, like the Duduk, you can't use at all.

It seems, whoever was hired to prepare the samples, was pretty sloppy with the loop programming.

If I compare Musio's looping to HOPUS, for example, HOPUS does not have any of these issues, or NI Symphony Series or Symphobia or Session Strings Pro 2 etc., all of which I own.

Did you notice these? Do you or do you not consider these a problem? I clearly do, but am I expecting too much in this case? Do people use this just for background layering, or why has nobody talked about these issues?

Last edited:
I trialled it for 3 months then dropped it as I was surprised by the number of issues. I'd been looking forward to trying all the brass but found much of it didn't sound realistic, and also kept coming across patches where the release part of a note would sometimes play (and sound decent) but often not play (seemingly velocity or note length dependent) and thus sound awful. So many of the instruments that I've seen people praise before left me thinking "is this it?" and wonder if the Music versions were somehow vastly inferior to the Kontakt ones.

I trialled it for 3 months then dropped it as I was surprised by the number of issues. I'd been looking forward to trying all the brass but found much of it didn't sound realistic, and also kept coming across patches where the release part of a note would sometimes play (and sound decent) but often not play (seemingly velocity or note length dependent) and thus sound awful. So many of the instruments that I've seen people praise before left me thinking "is this it?" and wonder if the Music versions were somehow vastly inferior to the Kontakt ones.
Indeed. I was also fooled by the crowd praising how incredible value it is. Just because you get a lot of stuff for seemingly little, doesn't make it good value. And it seems, you get what you pay for here. I'm not at all surprised why they're having difficulties in getting people to sign up, and I pity the people who paid the 999 bucks for the lifetime access when this was introduced.

So, unless they actually start addressing their atrocious quality control, this truly is a sinking ship.

I agree with you. Their only advantage is the stable player (compared to Spitfire/SINE). However, OPUS scores well there too and is also a cheap option for hobbyists who want a complete orchestra on subscription.

The kontakt version of CineStrings CORE (v2) is significantly better than the MUSIO one. They've done some kind of rebalancing and EQing on the strings in MUSIO and it's honestly made the sound worse.

In CineBrass PRO, the MUSIO version strangely has the muted artics for trombone solo but no open techniques.

Legato techniques are about equally bad in kontakt and MUSIO. These are old samples and the multiple reworkings have not worked any magic. I don't know any composers who use CineSamples legatos, leave it at that. Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra is equally old but the new performance-scripted versions have really been brought up to scratch... as much as they can be... they're usable for background parts and maybe slow lyrical melodies. For CineSamples, I wouldn't dare!

I started composing again after a 15-year hiatus and bought Musio as what I thought would be complete package. I don't have a comparison of the quality with other libraries, but my general impression is unfortunately the same as yours. I often have to waste time working around and masking these glitches, and e.g. string tremolos I tend to avoid completely due to ugly clicks at loop points. Quite a dissapointment for me considering Cinesamples is one of the market leaders...

I started composing again after a 15-year hiatus and bought Musio as what I thought would be complete package. I don't have a comparison of the quality with other libraries, but my general impression is unfortunately the same as yours. I often have to waste time working around and masking these glitches, and e.g. string tremolos I tend to avoid completely due to ugly clicks at loop points. Quite a dissapointment for me considering Cinesamples is one of the market leaders...
Indeed. I really wonder if the ones shouting how good Musio is have actually ever used it or just bought it, saved in a drive, and went to collect more libraries...

I tried the 30-day demo and really wanted to grab it during the $199 sale but did a hard pass. I agree, too many issues…..and the quality is definitely lower than Kontakt versions I own. And the Tina Guo libraries? I don’t get it, sub-par to say the least.

Indeed. I really wonder if the ones shouting how good Musio is have actually ever used it or just bought it, saved in a drive, and went to collect more libraries...

There is a fascinating segment of members here, that I can only describe this way: library collectors/super fans/developer groupies.

Assuming they are not shills, makes their behavior even more curious. I understand that developers make these libraries, and we have access to them…. But, they also make us pay for them. So it’s not like they are providing a charitable service, in that regard. The amount of whining, crying and complaining I have seen when someone from the above mentioned group realizes that you have a criticism of one of their favorite developers/libraries, is baffling sometimes.

What I have learned the hard way from my time here, is that the hype fest can get very loud and very real. It doesn’t, however, necessarily have anything to do with the quality of the offering. There are members here, whose recommendations I immediately disregard, these days.

I am surprised by this. I was very sceptical of Musio, but bought it in the 199 sale beginning of the year, and am very, VERY pleasantly surprised by every instrument. I was afraid to try it because of all the negativity, and I found nothing but inspiration from it. Every time I go through it's catalog, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

And this is coming from someone who owns a lot of libraries and is very stern in what I allow in my template or not. I can see that it can't compete with HOOPUS, for example, but HOOPUS is such a high bar! I also own quite a lot of VSL stuff, but again such a high bar!

Maybe my expectations were low and that's why I love what I hear and see. It's all super playable and sounds good. It's not as detailed as the aforementioned libraries, no, but since I already have those, and the Spitfire SSO, and three quarters of the 8Dio catalog, including their legacy stuff, maybe I wasn't expecting such a high level of detail and I just love the simplicity of it.

I'm a fan, definitely, and highly recommmend it.

I saw Musio as a long term bet. When I signed up to the lifetime thing, it was really on the basis of their roadmap and CineSamples reputation (I'm broadly a happy customer). I've only used it in an anger in a few cues because I'm still waiting for it to have the keyswitch root note customisable. Once that's in place, I'll likely use it a good deal more.

There have been a fair few QC issues, but they have been pretty good at fixing. Report one and it will usually get done in my experience, but it might take a little while.

I am surprised by this. I was very sceptical of Musio, but bought it in the 199 sale beginning of the year, and am very, VERY pleasantly surprised by every instrument. I was afraid to try it because of all the negativity, and I found nothing but inspiration from it. Every time I go through it's catalog, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

And this is coming from someone who owns a lot of libraries and is very stern in what I allow in my template or not. I can see that it can't compete with HOOPUS, for example, but HOOPUS is such a high bar! I also own quite a lot of VSL stuff, but again such a high bar!

Maybe my expectations were low and that's why I love what I hear and see. It's all super playable and sounds good. It's not as detailed as the aforementioned libraries, no, but since I already have those, and the Spitfire SSO, and three quarters of the 8Dio catalog, including their legacy stuff, maybe I wasn't expecting such a high level of detail and I just love the simplicity of it.

I'm a fan, definitely, and highly recommmend it.
Interesting how different the experiences can be.

I started with quite a positive feeling when testing the sounds shortly here and there. Then I began to inspect them more closely. I took on the Woodwinds in Core and Pro to hear how they are. I was shocked by the findings from the first post. The Woodwinds should not have even been published if they're like that.

I'll continue my research and tests bit by bit. Let's see if there are more such inconsistencies. Woodwinds, they're definitely not publish-ready.

I saw Musio as a long term bet. When I signed up to the lifetime thing, it was really on the basis of their roadmap and CineSamples reputation (I'm broadly a happy customer). I've only used it in an anger in a few cues because I'm still waiting for it to have the keyswitch root note customisable. Once that's in place, I'll likely use it a good deal more.

There have been a fair few QC issues, but they have been pretty good at fixing. Report one and it will usually get done in my experience, but it might take a little while.
Oh, I will certainly report these.

Hi @ananmusatili ,

I personally do not own Musio so I cannot speak to what you are experiencing however I do own the Kontakt versions of Tina Guo, Cinebrass Core, Cinebrass Pro etc.

Kontakt versions - My experience when I first played through these were kinda disappointing. The Brass just did not behave or sound right to me. However there are many on this forum that can make them sing and have such talent and experience to make them work!

Even these Kontakt samples contain very antiquated scripting, compared to what you will find today in newer libraries. Especially the Legato techniques, and yes there is some sloppy editing, noise in samples, background noises and so forth.

When I first played through Cinebrass with all the positive reviews, I thought to myself for a second wow, I am disappointed.

However, I am a novice and have no real experience with Brass, and thought to myself man, why did I get this? It did not play or sound good to me.

Then I started to learn the different mixes, some of its flaws, and started to like the way Cinebrass sounded. So, for me at least I feel much better because I started to learn to work around the flaws but still can't get certain things to sound that great.

I would definitely say with the old scripting it takes some adjusting, programming to get it sounding ok. Problem is I am a keyboard player, and I was looking for more of an 'instant' playability performance, however I acknowledge I made the purchase decision to get it and what can one expect from old scripting?

I am not sure how Musio was set up or created but if it's using the same samples than Kontakt or they tried to rework it without brand new good quality legatos/scripting etc, you might run into these issues where you are experiencing what I experience with the Kontakt versions and many inconsistencies.

However, for those using Cinebrass I have heard some fantastic things done with them! I have heard on this forum some incredible DEMOS. So, composing and getting to know the instrument I think is key. I recognize I need to work on my own compositions and get to know the instruments. However, for me a playable library is what I prob should have gotten instead because I get creative and am a type or person where I don't like to totally sound design. That me though.

For this reason, I did not want to take the chance on Musio for me personally as I am still learning how to use the Kontakt versions. I have been hesitant to purchase more Cinesamples products based on my experiences with it. Not to their fault because its older scripting and I want more playability than programming.

I can see how your experience translates to what I expected but with the Kontakt versions.

I tried the 30-day demo and really wanted to grab it during the $199 sale but did a hard pass. I agree, too many issues…..and the quality is definitely lower than Kontakt versions I own. And the Tina Guo libraries? I don’t get it, sub-par to say the least.

+1
My initial response to the Musio-mangled Piano in Blue, which many raved about for years (Kontakt) was "so what"?

Last edited:

As always, use case scenario and expectations play a huge role in how value judgments are made. I got Musio Lifetime for 500 and have never regretted it. I use it regularly as a, broadly searchable, easy to use, and memory light alternative to my heavier more complex libraries.

It also has some unique things like Voces 8 that I’ve used in my mock-ups where nothing else I have delivers that sound. As an add-on, mobile library I’ve really enjoyed using it, and while I don’t think it’s a good choice as a core library for professionals, I’m glad to have it the way I use it.

I still think that Musio is a great offer, BUT I value it for all those things which I don't have in Kontakt from Cinesamples - cause a least when I was comparing CineStrings - these were much better in Kontakt - I haven't compared Cinebrass, Cinewinds and Cineperc yet directly. Still, there are Lots of useful stuff there, but not for purely orchestral composer perhaps (YET - I hope that they will bring the mics there and maybe update a scripting so it comes closer to Kontakt versions). Btw here's a little piece I've done with Basses from CineStrings Core, Solo Violin, Solo Flute and CineHarp (all Kontakt) - I think those samples are pretty great actually, however old they are :)
View attachment Love Theme.mp3

Top Bottom