What's new

Multiple VST folders bad ?

bcarwell

I have a PC, Windows 7, and Cubase 8 Pro.

I noticed I have many paths in my Cubase for VSTi. Not even sure how some of them got created.

My question: Is this bad in some way like loading times, conflicts, etc, and if so how or should I let sleeping dogs lie ? If the same instrument is in more than one, does it matter.

And if I should edit the multiple paths in some way, how do I go about it ?

Bob

Really not an issue as long as you can direct any DAW/host to the onea you want easily enough.

I was trying to keep it to 3 folders as well. But some installers don't give you a choice on location. So I think there are 8 now. It is very frustrating.

And as long as I add them all to the list in the DAW, I don't have a problem.

Re the “.. as long as you direct your DAW to the one you want”. That’s my question- with all of the paths already IN my Cubase’s plug in or VST path table, I don’t direct my DAW anywhere, as presumably Cubase looks for the plug in or VST in <all> those listed paths automatically. I am assuming based upon these thread responses that performance wise it doesn’t matter how many paths you have. I presently have a path for Steinberg VST and another generic one, and about 5 or 6 others that bug me. And I also assume that if you consolidate them all into just a few paths that too has no affect on performance or other issues ?

So other than the untidy mess is there any drawback to having so many paths designated in Cubase ?

And if I do want to clean it up, how do you do that ? For a given path, to be on the safe side just cut ALL the guts at the end of the path you want to get rid of and paste them into the end of the appropriate one of the (now just) THREE paths (e.g. 32 bit, 64 bit, and VST3) desired paths ? Or do you just copy the .dll, samples, or what ?

And even though some installers insist during the <install> on making their own proprietary path and don’t give you the option to just use the existing ones you have (and as an aside does this automatically add this path in Cubase or do you have to do it yourself in the plugin manager), once they’ve had their way with you are you free to move whatever they installed wherever you chose as long as you tell Cubase where you moved what they insisted on installing in their own location ?

Bob (and thanks to all participating in enlightening me on something that’s bothered me for a long time but never got around to doing anything about )

I agree the fewer the better, but I've ended up with the following (names changed to keep it readable):
VST-x64
VST-x86
VSTi-x64
VSTi-x86
VST-x64-demo
VST-x86-demo
VSTi-x64-demo
VSTi-x86-demo

I separate x86 and x64 for the obvious reasons. Windows makes that the default since it has separate program directories for the two architectures.

I separate effects and processors from instruments so that wavelab doesn't spend all day scanning plugins it doesn't need.

I separate out demos because I may, or may not wish to include them. Those paths are not searched, I move the dll over to the searchable directories when I want to experiment. This has saved me countless hours an untold frustration. I'm rather pleased that the demo directory tree is currently empty!

I let the installers handle VST3, so far that seems to be working nicely. I also "hide" the VST2 versions of plugins that are available as both. Eventually I will delete those, but i have run into a couple of cases where the VST2 worked better, as explained in the documentation I read but ignored. This step is becoming less important as hosts automatically include the VST3 variation.

And then there is UAD, the last of the holdouts that insists on installing their DLL files in \Steinberg\VSTPlugins. For a while I would move these over to my directory tree, there is even a utility that does that and categorizes them. Lately I've just been letting it fly, and then hiding the plugins which I have not (yet?) licensed. I can alway move them when/if I want to try them. I try not to try too many, as I usually end up buying them.

There is probably a better way, but this works for me.

Good Lord. No wonder mine are all I mess. For years I just rolled over and punched GO during installs assuming they knew better than I....

I currently use 4. Although I no longer use 32b I still have a folder for those that need to be installed. So it's x64, x32, VST3 (in the typical C:/Program Files/Common Files) plus I use a separate folder for my Acustica/ Nebula plugins which I install on one of my SSD drives.

Last edited:
... But some installers don't give you a choice on location. So I think there are 8 now. ...
When that happens, I move the plugins after installation. That's not ideal either; installing updates means I have to move them again. But at least I don't have to modify the list of paths in each DAW I use (some of them very occasionally).

VST, VST(x86) I may create folders in those by developer. Some do that by default. I always pay attention to the installer's location. The one I can't stand is the developer's default install folder is ProgramFiles\Steinberg\VST. That is so 90's.

You also have to be careful in some situations with plugins using installers and you move them later. Sometimes the GUI or presets won't show up. I had that happen with Alchemy. Some still install 32bit without your choice. I keep them for Acid Pro, otherwise I don't allow a DAW that can access both 32,64 bit. FL and Cakewalk are one of the few left that supports both.

Some don't care if you move them. Just copy and paste the .dll file to where you want it. But any that need other files to run get very upset when you move them. I had decided when I redid my computer that it was going to be VST-32 and VST-64. and ProTools AAX which always goes to the same place and I have no control over that. Just the 2 locations.

As I said, there are about eight right now. And I don't even point Cubase to the VST-32 folder. That was all the ones that didn't let me select the folders.

Top Bottom