What's new

MPE and realistic "non synth" intruments

Namatikapi

Hello,
I have some questioning about using MPE with realistic intruments (sampled or not).
What I dreamed of with the MPE controllers was that with a realistic intrument I could be able to have a realistic kind of vibrato when using the glide.
But what I noticed is that when I use a real sounding intrument in an MPE mode (and there are not a lot of them) and I glide, the little vibrato that results is not really from the "real" intrument, but is just a synthy variation in the backround. For example, if I play an MPE violin in Augmented Strings, when I glide I don't really ear a violin vibrato, I ear a synthy vibrato.
I now wonder if the sample technologie is not the problem in that context, and if maybe the "audio modeling" type technologie would not be more interesting for creating realistic vibratos. I am still quite reluctant with non sampled intruments, but maybe with the MPE is it the good way to go ? What do you think ?

The advantage of physical modelling is that when pitchbend is used, you get to keep the body resonance of the instrument fixed. With samples, everything, including the room sound, is getting pitch bent.

I think also not enough attention when programming patches on samples/synths is paid to the mild tremolo and change in partials you get on stringed instruments when fast vibrato is used (it is a bit tricky to set up on most synths as you want the amplitude to back off and a tilt filter to shift as the pitchbend moves away from 0 rather than being mapped to the absolute value): https://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/violinarticulation.html

IMO, that's why a guitar-like bend up can often sound more realistic than vibrato with the pitch wheel or on an MPE surface: it's a sound that's less prone to this effect because in real life the guitarist will maintain or even slightly increase pressure on the string when pulling it.

Top Bottom