What's new

Midi guitar software solution

I use jamorigin midi guitar on gigs, works like a charm
can you tell me a bit more? the price is great .... so can I use my acoustic guitar plugged into my audiobox linked to my DAW to play in vst violin parts?? how does it work with different vsts e.g. guitar vsts- can you program the vst/jamorigin so when you play a hammer-on, it does that with the vst??

can you tell me a bit more? the price is great .... so can I use my acoustic guitar plugged into my audiobox linked to my DAW to play in vst violin parts?? how does it work with different vsts e.g. guitar vsts- can you program the vst/jamorigin so when you play a hammer-on, it does that with the vst??

MIDI Guitar can work standalone or as aVST plugin. I use it as a plugin and it is far better than the Roland hardware I'be owned. Never tried with an acoustice guitar but I assume it will work. You just point it to various VSTi's that are in your project and play them. For me its easy and dependable.

hmm just running the trial version. not hearing anything but me playing guitar through my headphones

looks great ! I wonder why I never heard of midi guitar before. I'll buy it for sure.
Thanks for the info !

I've been using JamOrigin's Midi Guitar since the first beta, and it worked pretty well then. I find it easier to think with a guitar than a keyboard, so it's been a lifesaver for working things out and quickly recording parts. The tracking works very well out of the box, though you can usually tweak it to be even better if you have a specific guitar you're using regularly. And, yes, it works fine on electro-acoustic, and even a miced-up acoustic.

after a bit of Q&A troubleshooting (great customer service) they sent me a different ASIO-Version of the trial. works nicely.

How well does it run being only a software version? I have done audio to midi with guitar before and there was a whole lot of latency. And you could only play one note at once, and you had to drench it in autotune in case there was a slight bend in the string.

If you play a chord with this, does it recognize each individual note? That is a cool thing about the Graph Tech system is you can play a note on every string at once and it recognizes them all.

Also, the Graph Tech saddle converts to midi before it goes into the daw, so there is zero latency.

How well does it run being only a software version? I have done audio to midi with guitar before and there was a whole lot of latency. And you could only play one note at once, and you had to drench it in autotune in case there was a slight bend in the string.

If you play a chord with this, does it recognize each individual note? That is a cool thing about the Graph Tech system is you can play a note on every string at once and it recognizes them all.

Also, the Graph Tech saddle converts to midi before it goes into the daw, so there is zero latency.

I'm doing chords with it later, I`ll let you know. Latency isn`t too bad. It recognises string bends no problem, and vibrato comes out nicely. Although it doesn't recognise a vibrato/bend on 2 notes at the same time.

Sorry that i always rain on everyones midi guitar thread parades everytime but these software solutions and also the roland pickup systems "suck" in a big way for us guitarist when trying to sequence. These pitch to midi conversion systems is pretty much the same as using it for an real acustic piano vs sequencing with a cheap ol' maudio midi keyboard. sustain, poly, expression, chord, velocity... everything thats so easy on a midi keyboard becomes such a hassle with these pitch to midi convertors. plus the added bonus of ghost notes and "you have to play very well to get good tracking" are just such a PITA.
To me, the issue is that these systes are tailored to rock musicians for on stage "70's prog moog" soloing with a pick. But try to get a simple string pad or pad+notes with expression playing it fingerstyle and it becomes a multi step solution that might as well use the keyboard.
Ive tried almost all systems. the ztar could be a winner but the expense is great and the right hand is still seems to be tailored to play with a pick. I had to sell it since my fender "toy" mustang midi guitar for rockband game was giving me the same outcome for a lot lot lot less.
Now i have the lineage guitar, which is ok. the right hand sensitivty is still tricky but i cant complain that much for an instrument that doesnt have the appeal to be used as a sequencing orchestral/other music.
The jam origin is not the best but at least is comparable to those roland guitar systems. so as for as this thread is concern, yes, its good against those type of systems.

Sorry that i always rain on everyones midi guitar thread parades everytime but these software solutions and also the roland pickup systems "suck" in a big way for us guitarist when trying to sequence. These pitch to midi conversion systems is pretty much the same as using it for an real acustic piano vs sequencing with a cheap ol' maudio midi keyboard. sustain, poly, expression, chord, velocity... everything thats so easy on a midi keyboard becomes such a hassle with these pitch to midi convertors. plus the added bonus of ghost notes and "you have to play very well to get good tracking" are just such a PITA.
To me, the issue is that these systes are tailored to rock musicians for on stage "70's prog moog" soloing with a pick. But try to get a simple string pad or pad+notes with expression playing it fingerstyle and it becomes a multi step solution that might as well use the keyboard.
Ive tried almost all systems. the ztar could be a winner but the expense is great and the right hand is still seems to be tailored to play with a pick. I had to sell it since my fender "toy" mustang midi guitar for rockband game was giving me the same outcome for a lot lot lot less.
Now i have the lineage guitar, which is ok. the right hand sensitivty is still tricky but i cant complain that much for an instrument that doesnt have the appeal to be used as a sequencing orchestral/other music.
The jam origin is not the best but at least is comparable to those roland guitar systems. so as for as this thread is concern, yes, its good against those type of systems.

Have you tried the Graph Tech system? I have not tried it but I have heard very good things about it. There's a audio to midi pickup on every string that allows you to play each note individually, and play without latency.

What interests me about this is playing acoustic guitar and other strum instruments. Makes it a hell of a lot more convenient than micing one, or trying to bang it out on a midi keyboard.

I agree with you though, every audio to midi solution I have ever tried has not worked out very well. Tons of latency, weird ghost notes, and unless you autotune the hell out of it, the slightest unintentional bend will throw the whole thing off.

Top Bottom