What's new

Metal Style Distortion Pedal Plugins

What kind of pedals are you looking for? Tube screamers, distortions and other boosters or post-fx ones?

Audiority pedals are really good btw.

Honestly, when it comes to metal distortion, you mostly use an amp with a good distortion, maybe with a booster or something like a tubescreamer to add precission. I personally use a tubescreamer in front of a Orange TH30 amp.

Now, my point is that i would go searching for a good amp sim instead. I use Bias Fx 2. They also have a plugin called "Bias Pedals", but again.. A good high gain amp sim, (which often includes the most common pedal emulations).

Audified discontinued a large number of their plugins almost exactly a year ago. I was given to understand that Audified buys up, subcontracts and licenses plugins from 3rd party developers and that at least one of those developers decided to no longer work with them, leading to the discontinuation of the MultiDrive pedal plugin among others.

If you have one of the self-contained ecosystems like Amplitube, BIAS, Ampbox, AmpLocker and so on, you probably already have most pedals you might want. And if you don't, the entire pedal section in Mercuriall Ampbox is freeware and covers the classics.

If you prefer small standalone plugins, Audiority or Fuse Audio Labs (Dozer Drive, VPB) would be my go-tos. If you don't mind mono-only, Wavemind recently released three freeware modern takes on classic pedals.

Alternatively, you can just use a neural modeller like NAM, ToneX or AIDA-X.

Thanks guys. Ill check these out. I already have to many amp sims, The sound im going for is 90s, and they all used pedals to get the tones. Im weighing the options before I make a purchase. Although the gain on the amp sims is great it doesnt give the sound im looking for. The Neural Dsp Nameless, does give a badass tone with its grind pedal though.

There's the Mercuriall Metal Zone emulation if you need it a standalone plugin for pedal emulation. I like the pedal emulations in Line 6 Helix Native and the Neural Amp sims.

Thanks guys. Ill check these out. I already have to many amp sims, The sound im going for is 90s, and they all used pedals to get the tones. Im weighing the options before I make a purchase. Although the gain on the amp sims is great it doesnt give the sound im looking for. The Neural Dsp Nameless, does give a badass tone with its grind pedal though.
Well then, for 90s tones you would need:

- Tubescreamer pedal. There are plenty of free ones. Check Mercuriall TSC (classic TS-808 emulation), this is probably the last TS pedal you will ever need.
- Distortion pedal. There are plenty of amazing free ones as well... check Mercurial MT-A (Metal Zone MT-2 emu) for that 90s shitty-gritty tones.
- RAT-type pedal. Nembrini Audio Black Distortion or Valdemar Erlingsson Rodent are good free ones.
- Fuzz for that stoner/doom vibes. Bratwurst Fuzz and Linda Audio Fuzzy are my favorites here.

If you want I-dont-event-need-an-amp pedal, get Klirrton Grindstein from Audiority, this little beast can do everything metal up to swedish chainsaw.

Challenge accepted! (Fun fact, this reamp setup is currently recording as we speak.)

IMG_20240425_185915.jpg
Old Peavey no Y , MT-2, wires everywhere, picks on the floor. This is the life right here. Happy to see you got something going on.
Well then, for 90s tones you would need:

- Tubescreamer pedal. There are plenty of free ones. Check Mercuriall TSC (classic TS-808 emulation), this is probably the last TS pedal you will ever need.
- Distortion pedal. There are plenty of amazing free ones as well... check Mercurial MT-A (Metal Zone MT-2 emu) for that 90s shitty-gritty tones.
- RAT-type pedal. Nembrini Audio Black Distortion or Valdemar Erlingsson Rodent are good free ones.
- Fuzz for that stoner/doom vibes. Bratwurst Fuzz and Linda Audio Fuzzy are my favorites here.

If you want I-dont-event-need-an-amp pedal, get Klirrton Grindstein from Audiority, this little beast can do everything metal up to swedish chainsaw.
Hell yes thank you sir.

This is the life right here.
Man I'd love to cheer on this but in reality I had to stop recording two times because my family was going nuts with the "noise from the audio room", and ended up reamping stuff while cooking rice for everyone, having to stop the recording once because my older daughter started to scream because "she thought it was fun". Producing albums as an adult metalhead has it's quirks for sure. :D

Tomorrow I'm gonna go for a bit nastier sound and dig up my redstripe 2005 Bandit and pair it with DOD's Death Metal. For that, I already ensured the kids are at school and the missus goes to the office, haha!

Ignite Amps have a couple of great free modded Tubescreamers, though they are several years old by now and I'm not sure if emulating those has improved since. Either way they're worth a try, could be perfect to put in front of the amp sims you already have.

I just have Line6 HX Native plugin for all pedals, but check Nembrini Audio (the dude who made many UAD/BX Amps)

Top Bottom