What's new

Medieval-movie soundtrack

My only comment is to work on the timing of the instruments. For example, the pulse is set at the beginning with the strings, but when the drum comes in... it's not a bit behind the beat. And when the third instrument comes in (at 0:05), that one sounds even more delayed. Also, the release / reverb on that third instrument makes things feel a bit 'washy', so maybe you can tighten that up too?

So, I would focus on timing for now.

PS - This might be a case where all the notes look aligned correctly on the MIDI grid, but due to changes in each library's sample start, it's not quite in time. Use your ears to spot the differences and you should be ok.

My only comment is to work on the timing of the instruments. For example, the pulse is set at the beginning with the strings, but when the drum comes in... it's not a bit behind the beat. And when the third instrument comes in (at 0:05), that one sounds even more delayed. Also, the release / reverb on that third instrument makes things feel a bit 'washy', so maybe you can tighten that up too?

So, I would focus on timing for now.

PS - This might be a case where all the notes look aligned correctly on the MIDI grid, but due to changes in each library's sample start, it's not quite in time. Use your ears to spot the differences and you should be ok.

Thanks. Sorry, but I've listened to this several times now after your comment, and I still can't hear the lag/delay.

I did play some of the instruments (the medieval psaltery) myself on a keyboard, to make it more natural and less midi/robotic.

I feel that a lot of MIDI-composers are tightening their compositions too much. It makes it sound more unnatural.

I can't hear that it lacks rhytm. In the MIDI (for the humanized part) the notes line up nearly perfectly, but not quite perfect. I don't want it perfect. It's not techno/trance I'm composing.

Good job! Did you do the sound design too? It's catchy, its medieval, it fits the picture, well done.
Only comment, 0.55, I wonder whether a little more reverb would flatter the cymbals and strings once we get the wider shots of the building?

if i were you, i would probably layer the melody line with a wind instrument letting the violin lead, but adding texture to the main line with the wind..

I like how they sound at the beginning of the string. This timbre, with a medieval character, was lost in the end. I would replace these strings after 0:55. They seem unnatural in the performance of legato. What libraries do you use?

The instrument on 0:05 (dulcimer?) is ahead of time of the first bowed one. The groove of the bowed one is quite good, match the dulci to it (by ear ofc, not by midi notes). Also, make dulci snapier with less release/sustain/tail, as Marc said it's very washy and it's rhythm is drowned.

Top Bottom