What's new

Master Keys by Boz Digital Labs now available + Launch Sale

bozmillar

After releasing the New York L pianos last year, we were a bit overwhelmed with the positive feedback we got. But, as all things go, there were improvements to be made. After months of implementing these updates, we can finally announce the birth Master Keys. Master Keys is a single plugin that hosts all of our pianos.

Launch Sale

Naturally we're having a sale to celebrate the release. You can buy each piano individually or bundle them up and save even more.

All Pianos Bundle - $59 (Normally $179)
New York L Bundle - $39 (Normally $99)
Upright Bundle - $29 (Normally $99)

New York L 1991
New York L 1926

Ningbo Upright 2021
Chicago Upright 1927

What's New?
  • All Pianos (Pro and Lite) in a single plugin. No more switching plugins to try different pianos.
  • Improved performance.
  • Improved Resonance.
  • Improved "Tone" control.
  • Cleaned up samples.
  • Demo versions for all Lite pianos.
  • 2 new upright pianos (vintage and modern)
  • Improved sound of New York L 1991
  • Sustain control (Pro Only)
  • Easier Installation

2 New Pianos

Along with the new plugin, we're releasing 2 new pianos, for a total of 4. We make it our goal to sample "real" pianos. Most pianos that people play in real life aren't concert grands in concert halls (although to be perfectly honest, I'd love to sample some of those as well). We wanted these pianos to feel like you were sitting down and playing a real piano, and that means sampling pianos that are not perfect, or even far from it.

chicago 1.jpg
Chicago Upright 1927

Chicago Upright 1927 is a vintage (and it shows) 48" upright Baldwin Monarch. This thing has serious character and grime. You won't be getting any shiny clear bass notes out of this thing, but holy smokes it's fun to play and it has such a real, raw sound to it that's hard to find in a well sampled piano.

Chicago Upright 1927 Demo Songs

View attachment Chicago Upright - Chopin Nocturne op 48 - Low Dynamics - Behind.mp3
View attachment Chicago Upright - Beatles Something - Low Dynamics - Behind.mp3

Ningbo 2021 Image small.jpg Ningbo Upright 2021

The Ningbo Upright 2021 is a brand new 48" Hailun upright. This thing sounds exactly the way a brand new upright piano should sound. Clean and even across the board with just a hint of the upright boxiness.

Ningbo Upright 2021 Demo Songs

View attachment Ningbo Upright 2021 - Chopin Nocturn No 20 - Low Dynamics - Behind.mp3
View attachment Ningbo Upright 2021 - Beatles Something - Low Dynamics - Behind.mp3

The announcement doesn't mention any additional discount for owners of the previous New York L pianos.

The announcement doesn't mention any additional discount for owners of the previous New York L pianos.
Upgrade for the New York L pianos is free. We don't have additional discounts beyond that right now, but mostly because it's already so heavily discounted at $19/piano when you buy them individually and even less if you get the upright bundle.

Neither the installer nor the plugin require rosetta. They are all compiled for Apple Silicon and Intel.
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.08.40 PM.png
So I downloaded the latest Master_Keys_Installer.zip from my account downloads page, went through pasting my serials and selecting the downloads folder, the app Master Keys Installer did download the samples and then wanted to install the plugin. That's when the screenshot above popped up.

Hmm. All components of the plugin are compiled as universal binaries, but something in there is triggering you computer to want rosetta. I'm reading that it may be the Pace stuff that is required for AAX plugins to work, but I'd have to look into it more to see what it really is.

In any case, installing rosetta will let you install the plugin, even if the plugin doesn't require it.

Hmm. All components of the plugin are compiled as universal binaries, but something in there is triggering you computer to want rosetta. I'm reading that it may be the Pace stuff that is required for AAX plugins to work, but I'd have to look into it more to see what it really is.

In any case, installing rosetta will let you install the plugin, even if the plugin doesn't require it.
It's the plugin installer that's triggering it.

I have iLok and Pace and multiple native AAX plugins installed and have never triggered the Rosetta 2 requirement. I do not wish to install Rosetta 2.

Upgrade for the New York L pianos is free. We don't have additional discounts beyond that right now, but mostly because it's already so heavily discounted at $19/piano when you buy them individually and even less if you get the upright bundle.
Makes sense to me. Thanks.

Although the new Master Keys website is a different site from Boz Digital Labs, your existing login credentials will work. But your password manager probably won't know that.

Bug:
I have installed the samples on an external SSD. Under Windows, MasterKey Standalone or Plugin does not find any installed pianos. When I start the MasterKey installer again, it does not find the already installed pianos either and wants to download everything again.
The previous version had a SamplePath key in the registry. I can't find it in MasterKeys and also no other registry key that refers to the installation folder of the pianos.

I downloaded these, liking them so far! But I have a problem where it prompts me every single time for my username. The serial # is already populated for all instruments (and the proper serial.txt file is in each instrument data folder), but its won't retain my username so I have to enter it each time I open the app. Anyone else have this issue? thx!

Bug:
I have installed the samples on an external SSD. Under Windows, MasterKey Standalone or Plugin does not find any installed pianos. When I start the MasterKey installer again, it does not find the already installed pianos either and wants to download everything again.
The previous version had a SamplePath key in the registry. I can't find it in MasterKeys and also no other registry key that refers to the installation folder of the pianos.
The sample path is stored in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Boz Digital Labs\Master Keys\installedPianos.xml

Do you have that file? If so, if you open it should have a pretty simple xml sheet that has the piano name and the directory where the piano is saved. Is that filled out?

I downloaded these, liking them so far! But I have a problem where it prompts me every single time for my username. The serial # is already populated for all instruments (and the proper serial.txt file is in each instrument data folder), but its won't retain my username so I have to enter it each time I open the app. Anyone else have this issue? thx!
Are you on Mac or PC?

Sorry, I’m a bit dense; so prior owners of the New York Ls get the Master Keys version of those for free, but not the new uprights (but those are only an amazing $19/piano anyway)?

Last edited:
Mac (silicon).
There should be a file in your /Library/Application Support/Boz Digita/Master Keys/ folder called "username.txt"

Is that file there? and if you open it up, does it have your username in it?

If it's not there, download this file and put it there: https://www.dropbox.com/s/woz8a7sli303cju/username.txt?dl=1

It's just a blank txt file with the right permissions on it so that the plugin or the installer can actually save to it.

If the file is already there but blank, just paste your username into it and save it. Just make sure there are no extra lines or spaces. Also, the username is case sensitive, so paste it exactly as it shows on your downloads page.

If after that, it's still not populating your username, let me know.

Top Bottom