What's new

Macs to use ARM chips instead of intel

Can you please do me a favour and try to load the following song. Does this song work properly? Its from Christian Hensons Youtube Tutorial

But is this not made with BBC Orchestra? I only have the BBC Discovery version sitting here.
Also I can easy avoid to use more RAM since I now can go much lower with preload buffer and such and so I still have to find out where the sweet spot is between CPU/RAM with the Spitfire (non-Kontakt) stuff.

But is this not made with BBC Orchestra? I only have the BBC Discovery version sitting here.
Also I can easy avoid to use more RAM since I now can go much lower with preload buffer and such and so I still have to find out where the sweet spot is between CPU/RAM with the Spitfire (non-Kontakt) stuff.

Ah sorry, I thought you use the BBC Orchestra.

Ah sorry, I thought you use the BBC Orchestra.

No, my non Kontakt Spitfire libraries are just Hans Zimmer Strings, Eric Whitacre Choir, BBC Discovery and all the Labs stuff.
I have a lot from their Kontakt libraries too but I even found they not great on my 15" with the tiny GUI so I anyway do not used them much. But of course even if I wanted I cannot yet until N.I. get their things together and let me install my payed software.

One thing that occurs to me, looking at my Windows laptop's Event Viewer after a BSOD and trying to work out if the "critical" errors are going to add up to something fatal before I can transfer my ilok, is peripherals.

What would I need to get to create a functional system using a Mac Mini? An external drive, obviously, since even a 2TB drive wouldn't be enough.

And probably a USB hub of some sort. But how many ports would I realistically need? My estimate is that I'd need six, for the external drive, mouse and keyboard, AI, midi keyboard, and a spare. Plus an option for a second monitor. So I'd want at least four extra ports.

That adds up to about an extra £600 in total - anyone have some advice on what would be actually necessary? It is making me pause for a moment before making the change.

Although when I look back at event viewer on Windows and see that something in the firmware is throttling the CPU, without any hint what it might be (yes, all my drivers are up to date) I am fairly convinced I'll have do it at some point.

Your best bet would be a Thunderbolt dock - the best of these have 4-6 USB ports (plus the two USB-A ports on the mini should do for your needs), network jack (probably not needed, but handy for laptops), and a display connection of some sort (DisplayPort/miniDP, or you can use the second Thunderbolt port to connect a Thunderbolt or USB-C display). I have, and like, OWC's dock, though I'm not sure how available that would be in the UK - there are several other options.

So, one display via the HDMI port on the Mac mini, one via the dock, and use the second Thunderbolt port for your samples SSD. You can use bluetooth mouse/keyboard, as well, if USB is needed for other things.

Your best bet would be a Thunderbolt dock - the best of these have 4-6 USB ports (plus the two USB-A ports on the mini should do for your needs), network jack (probably not needed, but handy for laptops), and a display connection of some sort (DisplayPort/miniDP, or you can use the second Thunderbolt port to connect a Thunderbolt or USB-C display). I have, and like, OWC's dock, though I'm not sure how available that would be in the UK - there are several other options.

So, one display via the HDMI port on the Mac mini, one via the dock, and use the second Thunderbolt port for your samples SSD. You can use bluetooth mouse/keyboard, as well, if USB is needed for other things.

Thanks, I've seen those OWC things. Sounds like I'm not making any wrong assumptions. 👍

Just made an interesting discovery - I can load Kontakt inside Nektar's Nektarine plugin, seemingly without limitations, on my M1 Mac mini. I don't get any demo notifications, and it seems to work fine on a late night, cursory look.

Just made an interesting discovery - I can load Kontakt inside Nektar's Nektarine plugin, seemingly without limitations, on my M1 Mac mini. I don't get any demo notifications, and it seems to work fine on a late night, cursory look.

Has someone tried to play a project with sample libraries which uses more than 16 GB RAM?

Nice 👍🏻

Okay. Getting the MacBook Air with 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD. Should suffice for Spitfire BBCSO. I hope. Any thoughts?

Are you going to migrate from your old system? This seems to be the trick for bypassing the current N.I. registration hurdle. Can't remember if the SF player has a purge function, but it's an incredible asset in Kontakt... every instance purged from the get-go in the template.

I think a lot of us await reports on this.

We might be in a bit of a chicken/egg situation here - anybody who makes a living from running big orchestral templates isn't going to run out and try an M1 Mac for grins, knowing what we know at this point. I have the hardware but no big orchestral libraries (just TOC2 and KHVE), and am still very much feeling my way around VIs and composing, so lack the ability to really push things. There is a small chance that I might still pick up BBCSO Core today, but I'd still lack something of substance to test it with.

I'm not holding my breath.

As I probably wrote in this thread (I've said it over and over), there's a reason iPhones and iPads have RAM in addition to flash storage. It just doesn't make sense that you can put #40 of samples in a #16 bag.

What is a possibility is that you can get away with much smaller head start buffers, in fact I'd be surprised if the RAM installed doesn't get more mileage than we're used to getting, even with NVMe.

To some degree, I don't think it really matters how it performs with 16gb RAM.

Until the platform supports minimum 32gb (preferably 64gb) I don't think this version of the new platform is going to be optimal for our nefarious activities....

But I'm ready for a new desktop soon, in fact a little overdue, so I look forward to seeing what comes next year....

After testing the base model Air M1 for a few days really hoping I could switch as soon as possible (I've been dreaming of using just one mobile machine as my main for years), I concluded that I'll have to wait.
I tried loading a project I've been working on in Studio One that has lots of real instruments channels along with Keyscape, Superior Drummer 3 and tons of Waves plugins. I can't get the latency lower than 512 samples. I know Presonus said they saw a significant performance drop under Rosetta 2 and this seems to confirm that. I also tested Reaper under Rosetta with similar results - lots of glitches and hangups.
Even if I can live with having to abandon all Native Instruments or Izotope stuff for now, there are just too many glitches at the moment (might be due to the 8GB of RAM?).

So I'll say that if you need a machine that works for this type of workload it is not the time to get a fully loaded MBP M1. I'm anxiously waiting for the next upgrades and first wave of software support.

EDIT: BTW I usually work at 64 samples with an RME Digiface USB.

This, from a thread on Pianoworld, is one of the most discouraging things I've seen about the first tier M1 SoC's VI performance:

"I just recorded a piece that I posted in the N1X thread. I played for 20-30 minutes until I came up with a passable take and there was not a single glitch on the Air M1 and I was at buffer size of 128 for peace of mind. So, I can confirm: Garritan CFX Full works on M1 CPU and will be glitch-free at buffer size of 128 but will require that you close all other apps."

The poster (CyberGene) is running an "entry level" (so 8GB) Air with, IIRC, 1 or 2 GB max RAM allocation in his settings for the CFX, which is a notoriously demanding plugin. He's running the standalone version (Aria) under Rosetta, so obviously it's less than we can expect from a native version. I don't recall what pre-cache he settled on, but as a veteran Garritan CFX whisperer he would have gravitated to whatever works best on this system. Many more posts from him with more deets here: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3048687/1.html

I'm kind of deflated by these results, because even on my 2014 iMac quadcore i7 (4 GHz) with 32GB RAM, last night I was able to hammer away to my heart's content at a 64 buffer setting when running the CFX in standalone Aria mode with little else in the background (and zero VRAM compression by MacOS). Today, running it inside an 18 GB song in Studio One (5+ GB compressed), I have to back off to 128 to get acceptable, if not 100% crackle-free, performance (as usual). (Last night, in an empty song in S1, it flew without hiccups at 64 -- and zero VRAM.)

I had all but assumed that the M1's stellar single-core performance (Geekbench: 1700+!) would at least make it run rings around aging Intel Macs like mine (~1050) when tracking dense sampled piano playing -- even under Rosetta. Still, we could use more reports from the front lines, especially on 16GB systems with fans.

Top Bottom