What's new

"M2 Ram" vs Intel Ram

SamplesSlave

Hey folks!

I know there are some somewhat related threads on this already, but I couldn't find a simple / direct answer.

I am thinking of buying a MB Pro to do remote recording with (Intel iMac is my main) and the big question I have is around RAM. I know initially when the new Mx chips came out people said that the new Mx RAM is 'more efficient' so you can do more with less, but how has that worked IRL?

If I wanted to try and compose with Spitfire SSO + SCS kind of libraries, whats the minimum amount of RAM I should be shooting for? 32? 64?

Thanks!

-Eric

RAM is RAM. There is nothing more efficient about RAM on an M series Mac - it's DDR5 IIRC. What you do have is faster connectivity to the CPU meaning memory can be written/read more quickly combined with fast SSD storage, meaning contents of memory can be moved on and off the swap file more quickly. Both of these can help mitigate the need for more RAM, but only to a point.

I'd say in your case it's less about the libraries and more about concurrent tracks, parts and multiple mic positions. But I'd be leaning towards 64GB.

Wayne

Are there any tests/reviews out there documenting that the new unified memory works as well with huge sample libraries as computers with dedicated RAM (which isn't also shared by the other the components of the processor)?

I could be wrong about this, but in some non-professional, quick comparisons between a 2020 iMac and and a few Apple Silicon configurations, it somehow seems that the newer Macs behaves different from the Intel Macs – in the first attempts of running a Kontakt based benchmark file.

I find that 64 gb RAM isn't enough on an i7 Mac with dedicated RAM for what I do, so I don't think it would be satisfying with a Mac with unified memory either.

Since the WWDC is only circa a month from now, I'll probably wait with buying a 96 gb Macbook Pro. When spending as much money on a computer as these Macs cost, it would be frustrating to find out, after everything is installed, that 96gb would be clearly better solution.

Last edited:
Hey folks!

I know there are some somewhat related threads on this already, but I couldn't find a simple / direct answer.

I am thinking of buying a MB Pro to do remote recording with (Intel iMac is my main) and the big question I have is around RAM. I know initially when the new Mx chips came out people said that the new Mx RAM is 'more efficient' so you can do more with less, but how has that worked IRL?

If I wanted to try and compose with Spitfire SSO + SCS kind of libraries, whats the minimum amount of RAM I should be shooting for? 32? 64?

Thanks!

-Eric
I'll second Wayne here... There's nothing magical about how Apple Silicone uses memory. It's a placebo effect. Worse, people seem to think it's harmless to use disk swap to push the memory beyond its actual capacity, which is dumb for a number of reasons. Swap isn't memory. At some point you'll have a system freeze, and macos will either pinwheel or kernel panic. But the larger issue is that deliberately misusing disk swap will shorten the lifespan of your drive.

TLDR: As always, base your system configuration on real world memory needs.

I know initially when the new Mx chips came out people said that the new Mx RAM is 'more efficient' so you can do more with less, but how has that worked IRL?
macOS uses less RAM. What used to require 8 GB on the iMac suddenly is 1.3 GB on the Mac Studio.
However, DAWs are the same. 32 GB audio samples uses 32 GB regardless of x64 or ARM.
Buy the amount of RAM you would have used on an Intel-Mac, let the memory savings become a bonus.

macOS uses less RAM. What used to require 8 GB on the iMac suddenly is 1.3 GB on the Mac Studio.
However, DAWs are the same. 32 GB audio samples uses 32 GB regardless of x64 or ARM.
Buy the amount of RAM you would have used on an Intel-Mac, let the memory savings become a bonus.
This is the exact answer I was looking for, thanks!

Hey folks!

Thanks!

-Eric
I had a M1 MAX 32 GB RAM, there's definitely a difference. Opening Activity Monitor I'd would see way more RAM usage than I had available. Often it was just over 40 GB RAM in use. There's some videos out there that explain how in fact it is different than the "Intel RAM".
If you're getting a new MacBook Pro, I'd go with the M2 MAX 96 GB RAM. 64 GB RAM is a good standard, don't get me wrong. I just recently bought the M2 MAX, it runs everything flawlessly after some initial issues due to outdated plugins. My projects are generally 150 to 200 tracks, lots of processing. Maybe 60 tracks combined of Kontakt and Sine Player, along with misc. Spitfire Libraries with their standalone player. Typically have Safari open with numerous windows open. Adobe Photoshop running in the background with the occasionally Discord open. I am using a few VST 2 plugins running Rosetta 2. 96 GB RAM is just right, more than enough. It's up to you if you want to wait for the M3. If Apple maintains its schedule, MacBook Pros won't be released until late Q4. The 96 GB RAM are definitely a custom order. I waited 2 weeks or so, and it came directly from the factory in Shanghai.

Last edited:
Top Bottom