What's new

M1 Mac - External "Disk not ejected properly" Error

@pixel What OS version? How connected are these drives? What type of drives?
I have an entire range of drives from HDDs, SSD's NVME... connected to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on Mac Mini M2. OS is Sonoma, the latest version.
Everything was fine for months and I didn't do anything besides installing a plugin or two in the meantime. Since this week it's happening every minute.

I have an entire range of drives from HDDs, SSD's NVME... connected to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on Mac Mini M2. OS is Sonoma, the latest version.
Everything was fine for months and I didn't do anything besides installing a plugin or two in the meantime. Since this week it's happening every minute.
Unless your external drives are powered, it sounds like you are running out of power. Whether that is something that happened in an OS update that broke power distribution in your system, or potentially just coincidentally occuring now.. either way, drives usually only disconnect due to power issues. If they are connnected via a non-powered or under-powered hub, that is another culprit. It could just be a powered usb hub has power issues and is not Mac related. Just some things to check in your troubleshooting…

Unless your external drives are powered, it sounds like you are running out of power. Whether that is something that happened in an OS update that broke power distribution in your system, or potentially just coincidentally occuring now.. either way, drives usually only disconnect due to power issues. If they are connnected via a non-powered or under-powered hub, that is another culprit. It could just be a powered usb hub has power issues and is not Mac related. Just some things to check in your troubleshooting…
I didn't updated OS. It just came randomly out of the blue and for all drives on all connections. If it's not OS then it means that Mac is faulty.
I had issue with NVME drive disconnecting but it was issue with enclosure. At that time I spent days doing "QA" before I find the issue.
It's not like I'm new to it. Using Windows for decades was constant QA work 😅 I hoped that with Mac it will be much smoother experience and it almost is. Just this annoying lottery of cables, drives, hubs and enclosures is annoying.

@pixel I don’t understand you say latest version of Sonoma but say you haven’t updated for months, which is it?

@pixel I don’t understand you say latest version of Sonoma but say you haven’t updated for months, which is it?
Ah yes, I updated in March. For me, it feels like ages ago. So A month and a half. But in March and April, I had no issues.

EDIT: Also, today I have no issues so far. This is really bizarre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom