What's new

M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro

I'm looking for a "cheap" controller which I can use exclusively for practice (picked up a jazz course lately so want to work through that). I am a beginner at the piano in general. So I'm trying to find something which gives a close-enough piano feel so that my practice can be meaningful, but also something that doesn't break the bank.

Second thing is, I'd like it to simply record ideas as and when they come to me. So it wouldn't be used for my usual DAW work, but just to get my piano-version of my ideas down and recorded, before orchestrating them separately with mouse-clicking etc.

Are there any more seasoned pianists here that can comment on if the M-Audio Hammer 88 can suffice for now? I live in the middle of nowhere and can't visit any shops to try one.

Any help hugely appreciated!

Soooooooo timely !! Was almost hitting 'BUY' for Roland A-88 MKII. Will really appreciate comment based on your ongoing Hammer 88 Pro experiences.

M-Audio Axiom Pro61 user 'forever' .... amazing longevity, reliability.
I’m gonna get the Roland as well. I had the original Hammer 88. Liked it a lot but sold it due to space issues. But I don’t need the bells and whistles of the Pro, however the Hammer 88 action was a bit noisy for me. The Roland is very quiet.

Could please someone measure the height of the Hammer 88 like this:
From the bottom of the chassis (excluding the rubber legs) to the most protruding knob - slider on the top of the keyboard. Trying to find the way to fit it on my under keyboard shelf.

Many thnx!

I’m gonna get the Roland as well. I had the original Hammer 88. Liked it a lot but sold it due to space issues. But I don’t need the bells and whistles of the Pro, however the Hammer 88 action was a bit noisy for me. The Roland is very quiet.
I don't mic the Hammer 88 Pro, so this is not an issue for me.

Could please someone measure the height of the Hammer 88 like this:
From the bottom of the chassis (excluding the rubber legs) to the most protruding knob - slider on the top of the keyboard. Trying to find the way to fit it on my under keyboard shelf.

Many thnx!
the knobs above the pads are taller than the sliders.

a quick check: about 5-1/2".

I'm looking for a "cheap" controller which I can use exclusively for practice (picked up a jazz course lately so want to work through that). I am a beginner at the piano in general. So I'm trying to find something which gives a close-enough piano feel so that my practice can be meaningful, but also something that doesn't break the bank.

Second thing is, I'd like it to simply record ideas as and when they come to me. So it wouldn't be used for my usual DAW work, but just to get my piano-version of my ideas down and recorded, before orchestrating them separately with mouse-clicking etc.

Are there any more seasoned pianists here that can comment on if the M-Audio Hammer 88 can suffice for now? I live in the middle of nowhere and can't visit any shops to try one.

Any help hugely appreciated!
I just went through a Udemy Jazz Piano course last year to get some keyboard facility back after many years away.

I really like the action of the Hammer 88 Pro - but I'm hardly "seasoned".

Many have mentioned it is noisy, but I don't find it to be any louder than some of the uprights I used to play.

The Hammer 88 Pro sells for $799.00. But I got a 15% coupon from Musicians Friend when I bought mine.

$679.15 plus tax.

Read through the thread for my issues that were ultimately resolved.

The Roland A-88 MK2 sells for $1149.99 - no aftertouch.

Last edited:
I just went through a Udemy Jazz Piano course last year to get some keyboard facility back after many years away.

I really like the action of the Hammer 88 Pro - but I'm hardly "seasoned".

Many have mentioned it is noisy, but I don't find it to be any louder than some of the uprights I used to play.

The Hammer 88 Pro sells for $799.00. But I got a 15% coupon from Musicians Friend when I bought mine.

$679.15 plus tax.

Read through the thread for my issues that were ultimately resolved.

The Roland A-88 MK2 sells for $1149.99 - no aftertouch.
Thank you. Right. I'm not fussed in aftertouch and so basically was interested only in the Hammer 88 and not the pro. Do you happen to know if the key actions are the same (minus after touch?)

In any case, glad you got your issues sorted. I'm also pleased to see their commitment to sorting your issues out. Makes me meow comfortable about buying their stuff.

Thank you. Right. I'm not fussed in aftertouch and so basically was interested only in the Hammer 88 and not the pro. Do you happen to know if the key actions are the same (minus after touch?)

I have no experience with the Hammer 88.

From the BH Photo website:

Hammer 88 Pro:

88 Full-Size Keys
Graded/Scaled-Hammer Action with Aftertouch
Velocity
Location Sensing

Hammer 88:

88 Piano Keys
Hammer Action

I don't mic the Hammer 88 Pro, so this is not an issue for me.
i meant key noise for when I use headphones that others can hear. Was a bit clunky. However, it's no where near as loud as the Casio series...man are those things a noise hazard..LOL. Ballads with headphones had to be cranked...forget about playing soft and intimate in the studio...LOL. At least the Hammer is not that bad.

Final update with the Hammer 88 Pro.

M-Audio sent two units by mistake; I will send the second unit back next week.

I tested the 4th unit using just a USB connection to the rear motherboard USB 2 connector of my ASRock Tai Chi XE X299.

No Vegas mode – I will not update the firmware

Within 12 hours, the Hammer 88 Pro lost USB connection.

My initial workaround is to use MIDI cables into my Babyface Pro and a power adapter. Works great.

I would only use USB for preset editing.

Not satisfied, however, I did one last search about losing USB connections with Windows 10.

I came across a thread where someone posted a suggestion: use a PCIe USB 2 card.

I found a PCIe USB 2 card (not USB 3) made by StarTech.

I installed it and hooked up the Hammer 88 Pro early Thursday.

It has not disconnected.

Needless to say, I am pleased, but baffled.

None of my other USB controllers disconnected from my motherboard USB ports.

From my searches, USB connectivity is a widespread issue, and not just with MIDI instruments,

M-Audio support has been stellar. I’ve never worked with a company who worked so hard to make this right.

So, I am finally ecstatic about this controller.

Solved.

stusb.jpg

what is the model number of the card, for reference. In case anyone of us wants to follow your example.

I have no experience with the Hammer 88.

From the BH Photo website:

Hammer 88 Pro:

88 Full-Size Keys
Graded/Scaled-Hammer Action with Aftertouch
Velocity
Location Sensing

Hammer 88:

88 Piano Keys
Hammer Action
Ah thank you for this. Hmmm concerned that "full sized" keys isn't mentioned with the regular keyboard. I hope it doesn't mean the keys are narrower or anything. Will email them and report back here in case anyone else is also looking at getting one.

I've never heard anyone mention a key size difference between the H88 and H88Pro so I'm pretty sure they're the same. But you should be aware of the graded action of the H88Pro and the ungraded action of the H88. The graded action will be closer to a true piano action.

So I bought a Hammer 88 from eBay. I've tried it on two macs but seems that the laptops just aren't picking it up (e.g. they don't see it connected as an input).

Literally no idea what to do. Anyone had experience here? Is there some kind of a reset on the controller itself?

It definitely lights up when I plug it into the laptop, so there is power. Also, that cable works just fine with those laptops and another controller. Hmmm...

So I bought a Hammer 88 from eBay. I've tried it on two macs but seems that the laptops just aren't picking it up (e.g. they don't see it connected as an input).

Literally no idea what to do. Anyone had experience here? Is there some kind of a reset on the controller itself?

It definitely lights up when I plug it into the laptop, so there is power. Also, that cable works just fine with those laptops and another controller. Hmmm...
the laptop might not have enough juice to properly power it. Are they old? If it lights, then it's getting some power...what library are you using that it's not seeing it?

the laptop might not have enough juice to properly power it. Are they old? If it lights, then it's getting some power...what library are you using that it's not seeing it?
Interesting! It is a Macbook Pro (early 2015) and the other one is a Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
First, I just checked the general inputs and it didn't show. But otherwise I was using the standalone trial version of Pianoteq. But also tried Reaper, where I've got a Sampletekk piano.

Good to know that there's a possibility that it is a 'power' issue. I wonder if getting a MIDI cable + interface might do the trick (though I'd much rather not do that if I can avoid it, as the interface is for my proper composing computer which is in a different building lol)

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: btw I also did try it with the mains power in (so both mains power + a USB cable). At a complete loss to be honest. Was hoping there would be some kind of a hardware reset on the device that might help but it doesn't seem so.

Interesting! It is a Macbook Pro (early 2015) and the other one is a Macbook Air (M1, 2020)
First, I just checked the general inputs and it didn't show. But otherwise I was using the standalone trial version of Pianoteq. But also tried Reaper, where I've got a Sampletekk piano.

Good to know that there's a possibility that it is a 'power' issue. I wonder if getting a MIDI cable + interface might do the trick (though I'd much rather not do that if I can avoid it, as the interface is for my proper composing computer which is in a different building lol)

Thanks for the help.
So you're not seeing it in standalone? what general inputs are you looking at? Each library has it's own MIDI section that you need to check off the controller to activate it.

I wonder if getting a MIDI cable + interface might do the trick
it will still end up on the same USB port...whether direct connect or through an interface. The interfaces don't provide power, unless you get a powered interface, but that defeats the purpose of the laptop..LOL

So you're not seeing it in standalone? what general inputs are you looking at? Each library has it's own MIDI section that you need to check off the controller to activate it.
As an example. With the hammer plugged in, I see this...
1648141673875.png

But with the much smaller Alesis 49, as soon as I plug it in, I see this. I remember that with the Alesis, I didn't have to configure anything. The mac seemed to just recognise it... see below:

1648141875645.png

Top Bottom