What's new

M.2 enclosure recommendations for Mac Studio

I've confirmed with OWC that the 1M2 enclosure cannot provide heat data, so I may buy an inexpensive measurement device for this.
I use TG Pro in my menu bar and I'll see the temperature. Second drive in this list is running in 1M2.

I use TG Pro in my menu bar and I'll see the temperature. Second drive in this list is running in 1M2.
Skärmavbild 2024-05-03 kl. 23.17.10.png
This is nice to know thanks. I just bought and installed TG Pro. I see the same SSD and SSD (NAND I/O). Assuming SSD is the internal and SSD (NAND I/O) is 1M2? What's curious is that I have two 1M2 connected but only see one apparently.

In TG Pro settings I enabled "Check hard drive temperatures using SMART". Now I can see values for the Mac Studio internal and both externals. I'll leave this disabled when not needed because apparently it affects HDD performance, SSD probably okay though. 1M2 temps at idle have been steady at 44 C.

Screenshot 2024-05.png

I've read online that idle temps in the low-to-mid 40s C are typical. Octave music in this forum has reported 46 C for his 1M2s with SN 850X I believe. His measurements seem to confirm that Samsung 990 Pro is a bit more power efficient than WD 850X, whereas the previous Samsung 980 Pro would probably run a bit hotter.

So my other 8TB NVMe and my 3rd 1M2 enclosure showed up today. 3xusb4 1M2's + USB3 T5 + USB3 T9 seems to be fine. 3 1M2's and a single Envoy Pro SX TB3 gives me the "not enough power" message.

Not sure why Apple couldn't have addressed this power shortfall, but it is what it is. Not too much of a real world problem for me. I don't need any of the thunderbolt drives in music mode (the 2 8TB drives hold all my samples, etc) and the 4TB blade in the 3rd 1M2 is for projects, rendered audio, etc. The 4TB T9 is my photo archive - current in-work Capture One sessions are on the internal or the 4TB 1M2. I still have a downstream TB port on the Caldigit Element hub for one of the TB3 drives if I need it.
What temperature is it supposed to be?
The PCIe 4 drives run pretty warm and typically have a rated max temp of 85C+, so idling at 45 or so and running 50-60C in normal use is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. They do start to get uncomfortably close to the Tmax when continuously writing terabytes of data however.

I would be fine with PCIe 3 blades for lower temps but they have become very hard to find - all the big players seem to have shifted to gen 4 controllers.

I would be fine with PCIe 3 blades for lower temps but they have become very hard to find - all the big players seem to have shifted to gen 4 controllers.
I too would have preferred gen 3 for audio but agree that finding and buying them is tricky, especially with gen 5 already here. I chose Samsung 990 Pro because it is about as cool as gen 4 gets, plus i caught a flash sale for a good price. This should serve my needs for a few years; for my next studio Mac upgrade I may return to an evolved Mac Pro all-in-one form factor. I hope that Apple is learning from its customers who need seamless external expansion with their laptops, Minis and Studios.

I too would have preferred gen 3 for audio but agree that finding and buying them is tricky, especially with gen 5 already here. I chose Samsung 990 Pro because it is about as cool as gen 4 gets, plus i caught a flash sale for a good price. This should serve my needs for a few years; for my next studio Mac upgrade I may return to an evolved Mac Pro all-in-one form factor. I hope that Apple is learning from its customers who need seamless external expansion with their laptops, Minis and Studios.
Yeah, I was looking at the refurb M2 Mac Pros, but the $2k price difference ($3K if new) and the huge size of the thing put me off (I had a cheese grater Mac Pro years ago). And they have a similar issue in that there isn't enough PCIe lanes to run more than 6-8 NVMe blades on PCIe cards at full speed. There is no way to fill the 6 PCIe slots with high bandwidth cards. Same type of limitation with the Studio expect it's lanes, not power. They are awesome looking machines and great for eliminating desk clutter, but I'll pass in its current form.

I've read online that idle temps in the low-to-mid 40s C are typical. Octave music in this forum has reported 46 C for his 1M2s with SN 850X I believe. His measurements seem to confirm that Samsung 990 Pro is a bit more power efficient than WD 850X, whereas the previous Samsung 980 Pro would probably run a bit hotter.

That amount of power use can't possibly make any difference!

What does make a difference is longevity. You burn a lot of calories getting upset when you lose data, and that heat requires you to turn up the air conditioning.

:)

The PCIe 4 drives run pretty warm and typically have a rated max temp of 85C+, so idling at 45 or so and running 50-60C in normal use is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. They do start to get uncomfortably close to the Tmax when continuously writing terabytes of data however.

My scientific thought experiment: touch the Acasis enclosure and see that it's lukewarm rather than hot.

One of the benefits to buying a Mac that can't be opened - expanded, I mean expanded - is that you don't have to worry about things like this, because Apple's engineers have done that for you.

My scientific thought experiment: touch the Acasis enclosure and see that it's lukewarm rather than hot.

One of the benefits to buying a Mac that can't be opened - expanded, I mean expanded - is that you don't have to worry about things like this, because Apple's engineers have done that for you.
Good point that. My Mac Studio is always cool to the touch, with cool air leaving the rear exhaust. 😁 Speaking of which, one might want the drive enclosures to feel warmer than cooler, which implies more heat is leaving the enclosure.

one might want the drive enclosures to feel warmer than cooler, which implies more heat is leaving the enclosure.
True, I was really paying attention to drive temperature when I decided to put them in a box.
If stacking them in a compact and stylish way then heat will spread from the hottest enclosure to the other drives.
If I keep them apart but still all in the box, I can even have the lid on and it does not affect the temperatures.

Attachments

• M.2 enclosure recommendations for Mac Studio
    IMG_7931.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 2
So this weird. I have a 2 bay OWC bare drive dock connected via USB-C to the USB-C ports on the back of my Apple Pro Display XDR. I assumed it was a powered hub but even so, drives in the dock (and powered on) will not mount on boot with all 3 1M2 USB4 drives connected and a thunderbolt Envoy Pro SX drive connected to my powered Caldigit Element TB4 hub!

If I disconnect the thunderbolt drive, everything mounts. If I disconnect one of the USB4 drives but leave the thunderbolt drive connected, everything mounts. And to make even weirder, the Pro Display XDR itself is connected from a downstream port on the Caldigit TB4 hub so it shouldn't matter if the hub in the Pro Display is powered or not!

Tried moving the TB3 drive from the Caldigit hub to a downstream TB3 port on the rear of my UAD Satellite (which is daisy chained to the back of the TB3 Apollo) - everything mounts at reboot. And I can connect a second Envoy Pro SX TB3 drive to the now vacant downstream port on the Caldigit and everything is visible with no "too much power" warnings. I'm sure it won't survive reboot though.

Final update: connected the USB3 OWC drive dock to the downstream daisy chain TB3 port on the UAD Satellite instead of the Pro Display, and connected 1 TB3 drive back to the 3rd downstream port of the Caldigit TB4 hub. Everything survives reboot this way, so even though I don't understand what's going on with the hubs, I'm happy enough - 3 USB4 drives, 1 TB3, 1-2 USB3 SSD's on front ports of the Studio and 2 HDD's in the OWC dock, all good to go on reboot.

Last edited:
True, I was really paying attention to drive temperature when I decided to put them in a box.
If stacking them in a compact and stylish way then heat will spread from the hottest enclosure to the other drives.
If I keep them apart but still all in the box, I can even have the lid on and it does not affect the temperatures.

So this weird. I have a 2 bay OWC bare drive dock connected via USB-C to the USB-C ports on the back of my Apple Pro Display XDR. I assumed it was a powered hub but even so, drives in the dock (and powered on) will not mount on boot with all 3 1M2 USB4 drives connected and a thunderbolt Envoy Pro SX drive connected to my powered Caldigit Element TB4 hub!

If I disconnect the thunderbolt drive, everything mounts. If I disconnect one of the USB4 drives but leave the thunderbolt drive connected, everything mounts. And to make even weirder, the Pro Display XDR itself is connected from a downstream port on the Caldigit TB4 hub so it shouldn't matter if the hub in the Pro Display is powered or not!

Tried moving the TB3 drive from the Caldigit hub to a downstream TB3 port on the rear of my UAD Satellite (which is daisy chained to the back of the TB3 Apollo) - everything mounts at reboot. And I can connect a second Envoy Pro SX TB3 drive to the now vacant downstream port on the Caldigit and everything is visible with no "too much power" warnings. I'm sure it won't survive reboot though.

Final update: connected the USB3 OWC drive dock to the downstream daisy chain TB3 port on the UAD Satellite instead of the Pro Display, and connected 1 TB3 drive back to the 3rd downstream port of the Caldigit TB4 hub. Everything survives reboot this way, so even though I don't understand what's going on with the hubs, I'm happy enough - 3 USB4 drives, 1 TB3, 1-2 USB3 SSD's on front ports of the Studio and 2 HDD's in the OWC dock, all good to go on reboot.
I just ordered an Oyen Digital Mobius 2-Bay enclosure and will connect either to a Studio Max front USB C port or to a Dell hub monitor. The OWC bare enclosure was on my short list but I prefer the Oyen form factor; 8.25D x 4.5W x 5.0H should fit nicely alongside the Mac Studio under the monitor riser. This will house two HDDs for local redundant storage, using JBOD and not RAID1. I hope that the front busses are fully independent and total power draw is not an issue. The Oyen like the OWC has a built-in PS.

one might want the drive enclosures to feel warmer than cooler, which implies more heat is leaving the enclosure.
Or that the enclosure is dissipating the heat without burning up, or that the drive isn't getting hot in the first place.

My solution to this mystery is to back everything up, go about my business, and worry about other things instead. By default I trust design engineers to do their jobs so I don't have to!

Reactions: rAC
Or that the enclosure is dissipating the heat without burning up, or that the drive isn't getting hot in the first place.

My solution to this mystery is to back everything up, go about my business, and worry about other things instead. By default I trust design engineers to do their jobs so I don't have to!
Same here pretty much. A few things need to be paid attention to however. For example, a thinner NMVe might not make good contact with the thermal pad when a DIY enclosure is sealed up. I've read reviews by some who needed to order thicker pads to fix their issues. But the right answer is having good backups for sure.

Top Bottom