What's new

Looking for advice on a portable midi controller

anna24

Hi everyone!
I want to buy a compact MIDI controller that would be convenient to take with me on the go. I've been considering options from Arturia and Akai, and after reading and watching a lot about them, I still can't decide which one to choose. Perhaps there are users here who have experience with both? Or can you recommend something else, ensuring easy portability?

Another idea... Roli Block M. Not out just yet, but I expect mine in 4-6 weeks. I bought two to create a four-octave controller when I want it. I'm very excited to have a battery-powered and BT controller for zero wires. And also really excited to have all the MPE functionality at my hands. My goal is to have a fairly powerful portable rig with an M1 Max, an iPad for Art Conductor, a Magic Trackpad using Audioswift for midi CC control, and the Block Ms as the midi controller(s). Or, even more portable would be a single Block M and the iPad running Logic! Don't know if that might fit your goals and/or budget, but wanted to throw that idea out there.

Also... I've got the NI M32, which I still really dig. Very portable, 2.5 octaves, pretty decent mini-keys. No pads, though, so if that's a requirement it's a no-go.

On the small keyboards, Akai has better pads, knobs only, joystick for mod/pitch. Arturia has touch sliders for pitch/mod and faders. Otherwise they're very similar. I've used both, I think for anything that needs modwheel you'd want the Arturia options, can assign a fader if the touch strip doesn't feel right.

Novation and Nektar have similar offerings. They're all going to be basically the same at this range, just pick the one that has the right bits and bobs for you.

I bought the Arturia MiniLab 3 for this purpose, mostly because it was the only one I could find with decent keys that could fit in my bag. It’s about the same size as a 16” laptop. It’s very well thought out, and the integration with Cubase is smooth. That probably goes for other DAWs as well.

The one thing I don’t like at all are the pads. No matter how soft you set the sensitivity, they are WAY too stiff. They could work as on/off buttons, but laying down a percussion part with them is very tedious.

Top Bottom