What's new

Logic Pro 11 for MacOS and Logic Pro 2 for iPad announced

I’m not personally that interested in the AI features of the bassist, pianist etc. but I am looking forward to the new instruments.

It sounds like the basses will have slides and articulations and the pianos come with multiple mics. They’ll surely be a major upgrade over the existing stock pianos.

I would expect that you can convert the AI parts to midi too as you can with the drummer. It might be useful to generate a quick bassline for example then tweak it in the piano roll.

They had to move the magnets to make room for the landscape camera. So the Apple Pencil 2 can’t connect, pair or charge to the new iPads with landscape cameras.

You won’t hear me defending their storage upgrade prices though. *thats* where I think they’re greedy!!
My Apple Pencil 2 fits just fine on the side of the landscape iPad. It could have easily accommodated a different charging postion. They just chose not to.

Can AU plugins be turned off yet? As in not use not add to latency? I like to keep certain plugins in my chain so I can quickly hear what their impact will be on the sound at end but with logic, turning off plugins just puts them into audio bypass, unlike cubase which has bypass and off.

That’s my wish.

Though I think it might have something to do with how the plugins are written. For example, I’ve found that with Soothe2, if I turn it off, then the latency disappears. But if I introduce another plugin (I forget which one, but maybe an older one that also introduces latency) and turn that one on and off, then the latency maintains for all plugins that add latency. Anyone else know what I’m talking about?

Can AU plugins be turned off yet? As in not use not add to latency? I like to keep certain plugins in my chain so I can quickly hear what their impact will be on the sound at end but with logic, turning off plugins just puts them into audio bypass, unlike cubase which has bypass and off.
Simply use low latency mode

But that only bypasses the chain while that mode is on and I think it bypasses everything in the chain, including sends?
It's a different concept, but if the goal is playability, it's a good alternative. The reason I was bringing it up was that @Scottyb wants a way to temporarily reduce latency - if I get it correctly. The mode bypasses all plug-ins/sends that add latency over a user-defiable threshold.

Which is total BS considering Apple Pencil 2 doesn’t even work with the iPad 10th gen. I’m in deep with Apple, but their strategies are well planned and downright shady.
The 10th gen iPad doesn't work for a different reason. It was the first one to move the camera to the landscape side and has no wireless charging/pairing whatsoever in there, which the v2 pencil requires to work. Don't get me wrong though, I totally agree that the pencil situation is a compatibility hellscape right now almost requiring a spreadsheet to figure out what works with what.

The whole 'Apple are greedy bastards' argument starts to fall apart as soon as you own any Apple hardware for any length of time... The build quality and customer support are second to none. My old MacBook Pro from 2012 still works like a champ. Same goes for my ancient iPad. Only thing I've been into the Genius Bar for was to get the battery replaced once.

Sure, Apple tech is expensive - but I'll happily pay an extra 1000 on a computer every time for the peace of mind of knowing it'll still be working fine in 10 years and that I can whip it into my local Genius Bar at short notice in case of any issues when deadlines are looming.

I've also not paid for an update to Logic in 10 years. A top tier DAW for roughly £16 a year is pretty hard to beat.
I agree with all of this. Except for RAM. I mean, what they charge for a piddly 8 GB of non-elite RAM is just a bitch.

Man instead of trying to do the music for us they couldve given logic pro for ipad an actual studio woodwinds, or even just a flute. Mellotrons cool and all but what they thought up in its stead is so goofy. I don’t even use their generated drummer since its so limiting, but for piano and bass I’d imagine id use it even less especially since they keep hinting all of this is only gonna work optimally on their special m ipads…

Apple RAM & storage prices are highway robbery. But the Apple ecosystem as far as how everything integrates and especially the ease of integration, is definitely worth the price of admission...
Agree with this.

Every time I get the “Apple is an overpriced fashionable ripoff” speech at social gatherings etc, I simply explain how much I’ve paid for Logic since 2013. Usually wins the argument.

I think we sometimes forget how much the Apple software is subsidised. I run my business off the iCloud suite at no cost. Logic, Final Cut are incredibly good value.

I simply explain how much I’ve paid for Logic since 2013
It’s somewhat brilliant that updates are free, but I’d rather pay for updates and see more development in the kind of areas often discussed here.

They are good at making “free” plugins which copies what others have done before, but I mainly miss two things: tools which make the compositional/editing process more smooth (meaning: implement stuff which makes the process of coming up with – and edit – our own original ideas less cumbersome/more fluid), and more original ideas from Apple in terms of how they’ll achieve that.

We know that they are good at copying, and that they have made it a lot easier (especially for non-professional users) to copy existing styles, grooves, sounds etc, but IMO it’s time to move on.

Apple RAM & storage prices are highway robbery. But the Apple ecosystem as far as how everything integrates and especially the ease of integration, is definitely worth the price of admission...
Agreed - taken out of context, the Apple markup on components is insanity. But you get your money's worth and then some with the software, hardware reliability and peace of mind. People equate buying a computer from Apple to building a PC yourself and buying parts off the shelf which it simply isn't.

For instance, I can't go buy parts and build a 14" PC laptop that is completely silent, weighs very little with a crazily powerful M series processor in it, touchID, and 96GB of RAM. But I can buy that from Apple. So imo the markup is somewhat justified - they aren't exactly selling snake oil here.

The Apple software is also as previously mentioned incredibly well maintained and subsidised. To throw in another example - CoreAudio is absolutely a reason in and of itself to stay on MacOS for pro audio. Having that all integrated into the OS is a godsend.

Last edited:
I will watching closely for the full feature list and "what's new". I think all the new AI tools are cool, but I probably won't use them. Except for maybe the ChromaGlow, who knows. I get better results with Ozone than Mastering Assistant. I won't be using any of the new AI session players, simply because that's not my genre or preference. Still, it's a cool feature that I can see helping indie or rock producers produce demos faster.

What I really, REALLY need is for MIDI sync with external gear to be much more reliable. Does anyone else struggle with the MIDI being triggered early with external gear? If so, how do you fix it? Drives me insane.
Try midipipe. Free software.

It's a different concept, but if the goal is playability, it's a good alternative. The reason I was bringing it up was that @Scottyb wants a way to temporarily reduce latency - if I get it correctly. The mode bypasses all plug-ins/sends that add latency over a user-defiable threshold.
My latency is just fine. :grin: But I always appreciate anyone trying to help someone else! : )

Top Bottom