What's new

Live Now: Nov - Dec (Early Black Friday / Cyber Monday / Christmas) Deals - 2023 Edition

Thanks for posting about the sonnox claro deal. This seems like a huge workflow enhancer. The auto-gain and being able to see clashing frequencies across your entire mix looks amazing. Instant purchase.
The EQ sounded very, very good as well, and I've tested a lot of EQ's. I didn't notice before I bought it, but they've made it:

"
  • A clean, musical-sounding EQ that resembles the well-loved Neve types, their modern derivatives and the SSL G Series, as well as many high-end outboard equalisers.
"

It also boasts a pristine digital sound. These aren't contradictions in the world of digital filtering science! o_O:eek: (Looking into Dan Worral's description of linear phase EQ'ing is a wormhole which leads to the affect of phasing on the time-domain & our beloved dynamics...

:emoji_dizzy_face:

So when I say Claro sounded very, very good to me I am not unaware that it's comparison to itself of analog EQ gear isn't without profundity. Some analog filtering can be preferred to digital methods me thinks, even without respect to saturation.

So IMO it's clean & musical sounding - not with options for linear phase or minimum phase - though unless your low or high end has phasing quirks or you're meticulous you won't care. ( If I want to be a perfectionist and accomplish something that adheres more to some transparency standard then I can observe the EQ changes made on tracks from it and then on that finicky one, SIMPLY :D reproduce them in a linear phase or minimum phase digital EQ. Kirchhoff, Grand EQ, Pro Q3...)

I don't have Crave EQ (highly loved) - I bought Kirchhoff which excels at dynamic EQ features (no one has made a more versatile one TMK (to my knowledge), but then I found that Grand EQ minimum phase sounded a bit better to my ears for precise high end stuff like saturated electric guitar high end boosts (so delicate!), without the latency lag. It's a bit faster/lower latency than the other minimum phase mode EQ's I have.

As an EQ testing junkie, my next will be this one, for $23 (on Black Friday sale) [GUI not that appealing but for testing out technologies it is fascinating!]

LP10:

"

What is it?
LP10 is your weapon of choice when you don’t want to make any compromise in sound quality. Its FFT algorithm with a frequency resolution of 2.7 Hz at 44.1 kHz sampling frequency guarantees a smooth frequency response from the deepest bass all the way to top end. The proprietary flexible phase approach gives you full control over the phase response of each of the 10 bands (from minimum over linear to inverse minimum phase, the only EQ who can do that! Seriously!). Furthermore, the built-in flex filters allow you to continuously vary their slope from 6 dB/Oct to 60 dB/Oct. More control simply isn’t possible. The built in spectrum analyzer helps to guide your ears in the right direction. LP10 defines the maximum you can do in terms of shaping the spectrum of your audio material, while still sounding absolutely marvelous! Available in VST, VST3, AU (32/64 bit) and AAX format. Windows XP / OSX 10.7 or higher required.

"

I got Grand EQ (and am most happy with it - and BTW DDMF Magic Death Eye Stereo is my all time fav vibe vari-mu style compressor).

"
GRAND EQ:

"

The goal in digital equalizer design is always to reduce the amount of digital artefacts which are introduced due to the necessarily finite sampling frequency. In its minimum phase setting, GrandEQ manages to do just that to an extent larger than most other EQs, and notably both in the amplitude and in the phase domain, while introducing only a very small amount of latency. The result is a very open and clear sound with, at the same time, excellent CPU efficiency. Its linear phase setting stays completely in the time domain, using an elaborate time-reversal algorithm and 2-fold oversampling to ensure excellent amplitude and (flat) phase response with the lowest possible amount of digital distortion.

"

But you can escape with Sonnox Claro while you can!!!

Claro, Crave EQ.jpg

Last edited:
I could have sworn Kilohearts' Disperser was 50% the other day, and I put off getting it because I figured I had at least until Monday. But now it looks like it was never announced as one of their BF deals. Glitch? Anyone happen to grab it or see this?

I'm not gonna have my mobile phone being the crux and achilles heel of my live rig. Big no-go. Nor am I going to by a separate mobile hotspot for the sole purpose of activating a plugin. Ask anyone doing this for a living. Most of them would argue you shouldn't even have the wi-fi card turned on. In studio-world you can probably max out your buffer settings and have 15 plugins on every track, that's not how live-world works. If for instance NI started doing a cloud-based activation system, there would be more uprising and boycott from live musicians using software solutions than when Waves first launched their subscription-only model (before they reversed it).

I trust my computer as a future-proof place to store samples infintely more than I trust that tiny stick that could be lost or broken in a live setting where rigging is a factor. If my computer fails or breaks, I have larger financial issues than some iLok licenses getting lost (or at least until a possible reclaim)

The larger question here, is why they don't allow machine activation? I don't think I own any plugin that needs an internet connection or a dongle to activate/function, other than the UAD organ I bought before realizing it needs cloud or dongle and the Slate freebies that I might as well delete. Everything else runs either on iLok machine activation, license files, or other properiatery one-time activation systems that can be easily reclaimed if my computer goes down.
I don't know anyone 'doing this for a living' that doesn't use a physical ilok. A physical ilok allows you to work from a backup machine or laptop if your main machine goes down, something that does happen, when you least expect it.

Why don't some developers offer machine activation? For the exact reason you're discussing. There's added support overhead that comes with having to issue new licenses if someone's machine fails. It could also be exploited by someone thinking their being clever by claiming a machine died when it didn't. And, there may very well be additional costs on their end from Pace. (I have no idea how Pace's pricing works for developers, but I highly doubt it's free).

So if having a key that you 'set and forget' is that much of a hassle, then the your options are to use ilok cloud, or buying something else.

I could have sworn Kilohearts' Disperser was 50% the other day, and I put off getting it because I figured I had at least until Monday. But now it looks like it was never announced as one of their BF deals. Glitch? Anyone happen to grab it or see this?
There was an email but it looks as though it started on the 21st and expired midnight the same day.

They did something similar in March by the looks of it as that email has turned in a search of the mail archive. It might also be worth looking out tomorrow or next week as it looks as though they put Disperser and some of the other plugins on a 50% sale last year through much of December in addition to the discounts on Phase Plant etc.

one question, how do you make it so that JRR doesn't add your VAT?
It's by default, most $ based shops dont. most european shops add it and it's already in the price, and some shops like zero-g, ik multimedia and strezov sampling only add it on the cashier, which is super annoying because it's kind of displaying the wrong price at first bringing your hopes up.

I don't know anyone 'doing this for a living' that doesn't use a physical ilok. A physical ilok allows you to work from a backup machine or laptop if your main machine goes down, something that does happen, when you least expect it.

Why don't some developers offer machine activation? For the exact reason you're discussing. There's added support overhead that comes with having to issue new licenses if someone's machine fails. It could also be exploited by someone thinking their being clever by claiming a machine died when it didn't. And, there may very well be additional costs on their end from Pace. (I have no idea how Pace's pricing works for developers, but I highly doubt it's free).

So if having a key that you 'set and forget' is that much of a hassle, then the your options are to use ilok cloud, or buying something else.
Either you're at the lower end where you don't have a backup rig, where this way of doing it does not make sense anyways, or you're at the level of having a backup rig, where you would need multiple physical iLoks that (as I've already mentioned) that have waaaaay higher risk IMO to be lost or broken. It's legit just a small USB stick with flimsy plastic (at least for v2, maybe v3 is better built). Machine activation with multiple licenses is still the best option, as it doesn't require internet or any external physical license activation. I can't say I know anyone in this field that still uses phsyical iLoks, mostly because almost all companies do offer machine activation (or have moved away from iLok and coe up with their own solution)

I don't buy the argument that a big player like UAD can't afford whatever extra costs Pace put on their licensing deal to allow for machine activation

So IOW it's clean sounding but not with options for linear phase or minimum phase.
Claro *is* minimum phase. All zero latency EQs are because linear and mixed phase both require latency in order to create filters that eliminate phase shift.

Linear phase EQs are actually less transparent due to pre-ringing. Linear phase EQs also can't produce the tight Q factors that minimum phase EQs can, especially as you move toward lower frequencies. (You'll notice the width and shape of low EQ boosts/cuts changes drastically if you switch an EQ to linear phase). They can sound nice with small adjustments, but the larger the adjustment the more audible pre-ringing becomes.

The primary use case for linear phase are situations where you need to EQ *multiple* elements that have a *phase relationship*. For example, snare drum top/bottom mics, kick in/out mics, etc.

Linear & mixed phase are also used in crossovers because the phase shift minimum phase crossovers introduce will alter the tone as you move the crossovers around. As an example, Ozone's multiband modules default to mixed phase ("hybrid"), this is where most, or all of the latency these modules introduce comes from, (aside from when lookahead or oversampling is enabled). If you switch the crossovers to minimum phase ("analog") their latency will disappear, but as you move the crossovers around you may notice some subtle phasing artifacts. If you switch the crossovers to linear phase ("digital") you can choose the crossover buffer, which determines that amount of latency, and reduces pre-ringing as you increase the buffer.

Last edited:
Great price and getting Forbidden Planet with it as well is amazing.

Being EW it will be cheaper in the future (at some point it will go 60% off), but it is a great price.
820 total instruments in Forbidden Planet (68 Arpeggiator, 58 Bass, 203 Drones, 140 Leads, 132 Pads, 26 Polysynths, 175 Quickstart, 18 Sound Effects).

It's a good bonus for me given that I only have Pigments and a few stock synths so far. :)

Top Bottom