What's new

La Scoring Strings / Ozone 7

nik

Hey guys
I am new here and hope you guys can help me with a few questions.
1)
I try to get seriously into producing, using Cubase 8 and already got the East West Orchestra including the Hollywood Strings. i recently heard the La Scoring Strings and i was pretty excited about the rythmic tool ( ART) when i saw it in action. I know its pretty expensive but it seems like you can make awsome runs superfast with this tool.I dont know if an normal arpeggiator can do the same stuff. Anybody got some experience with it? Is it worth buying if i already have the Hollywood Strings?
2)
I also try a lot to get into mixing and mastering and i know that its a science itself but i want to try my best and get better over time. Right now i am using some Waves Plugins like the Master Busscompressor,L2 and so on. I recently saw some vids about Ozone 7 and it looked pretty awsome to me. Again,does anybody got some experience with it? Is it worth buying?And maybe u guys can recommend some tutorials?
Hope u guys could help me out,i would really appreciate it,
Greets
Nik

I would say: take it easy.

IMO, those rhythmic/sequencing thingies that some orchestral libraries come with are just a gimmick. They're essential for synths, but I would never use them for string patterns - wether it's the LASS ART or the Spitfire Ostinatum or whatever. You should concentrate on learning to sequence such patterns manually and make it really sound convincing.

A lot of bad sample-based orchestral or "epic music" pieces share a common element: they cycle through the same robotic string pattern, over and over and over again. It's terrible and really something to avoid - especially if there's no variation to the pattern because it's copypasted 64 times or because it's coming out of some sequencing thingy. With orchestral libraries we're trying to emulate human players and and an organic musical feel. Quantized, static, infintely repeated patterns is the last thing you wanna have in there.

LASS is a very fine string library, but the rhythmic tool shouldn't be the reason to invest in it. Since you already have another great string library, it would probably make more sense to invest in something you haven't got covered yet.

Ozone is a very powerful tool. But you already have some good tools at your disposal. Not just the Waves plug-ins - the stuff that comes with Cubase is good too. If you're still new to the whole mixing/mastering thing, don't confuse yourself with too much stuff yet. There's no point, because there's no way how you could sensefully utilize it and make it pay off.

Spend a lot of quality time working on the basics. Limit your options - try working with good plug-ins that don't have a lot of knobs and options. Learn to a) understand and b) hear EQ, compression, reverb etc. really well before you start experimenting with more advanced stuff. It takes quite some time.

It also involves a lot of screwing up mixes, which is completely inevitable. I still screw up a lot, it's great. :) The thing is that when you screw them up with simple compressors and 4-band EQs, you'll eventually be able to see through the mess you made, count 2 and 2 together and learn from your mistakes. It just starts to make sense gradually. If you go overboard with way too much stuff that you don't really hear or understand anyway, it will only slow you down in the long run and be a waste of money.

Last edited:
I'll second what Jimmy says. The A.R.T. is cool, but I never use it as I prefer to play in all the patterns. Also, I don't think it will help you with strings runs. BUT, LASS is great for string runs because of the divisi sections. Play the run with each section and very the slur speed, etc for each. You'll be amazed at how real they sound. I've never found anything run-wise I couldn't do convincingly with LASS.

Hey guys
thanks a lot for the quick replies,thats really great, i really appreciate you guys takin your time to help me out!
So Is there actually a difference between the Cubase arpeggiator and the ART tool from LASS?
And can u guys recommend some Turorial Dvds for mixing/mastering?
thx a lot

Sorry - I'm not familiar at all with Cubase. Not sure about mixing tutorials either I'm afraid. What little mixing skills I have were gleaned from years of hanging with people who knew what they were doing and then having to mix because of budget restraints.

I have concerns for those who are learning mixing in today's environment. They see all these cool models of vintage gear, but they've never heard or used the actual pieces, so they have no idea if what they're using sounds they way it should. I hear so many pop records these days that sound absolutely horrible. Maybe this is part of the reason. As tools become more ubiquitous, the bar lowers bit by bit.

Top Bottom