What's new

Kontakt Updates (current version: 7.10.1)

Rock solid, no. I'm now in the habit of not updating Kontakt for long periods of time because every time I do, something has to be fixed. The recent release was just comparably egregious, and bad enough that NI had to withdraw it.
Same, this was the 1st time I'd updated Kontakt in a few months, the only reason I did was to use Shadow Strings... I'm sticking to the original plan once I find a stable enough version to run the library...

Not really, you cannot expect that on several million lines of code.
Do you not think it'll have to be, sooner or later? It already causes a bottleneck with how it reads data so can't make full use of current drive speeds. It's slow load speeds compared to more modern software are only going to get more and more apparent.

Like I said, for me personally. I can't speak for other people's experiences and don't pretend to. But the drama over Kontakt is getting tedious.
As is the endless drama over Sine, Musio, etc. (Which IME is far more common, and often than bones about Kontakt).

I'm now in the habit of not updating Kontakt for long periods of time because every time I do, something has to be fixed.
I've been forced to continuously update between minor revisions of Kontakt 7, because every other new library release insists I do so. Probably best to stick to K6 and K6-libraries for anything serious - if you can - and keep K7 around as the broken GUI-rewrite toybox for free stuff.

Same, this was the 1st time I'd updated Kontakt in a few months, the only reason I did was to use Shadow Strings... I'm sticking to the original plan once I find a stable enough version to run the library...
Yes, I was fortunate that I already had Kontakt 7.8.1 installed so didn't need to upgrade for Shadow Strings. I had upgraded to 7.8.1 in order to run another recent library that required a Kontakt more recent than what I had installed. I'm fearful every time I have to upgrade. I will say that 7.8.1 has been very stable for me.

It's your Native Instruments account under which you log in to the website as well.
Thanks, I figured that out – had to look it up in Safari. Usually it logged in fine without asking for anything, but I guess that with a new version, it's more likely that they double check if you are you.

Lots of software over time get complete re-writes.
Often it is simply necessary and there is absolutely no shame in it either.
And yes, I think Kontakt looks like a candidate, some more system updates (Apple...!) and the number things that end up being broken will become harder and harder to fix, while younger competing software will have an easier time to grow.

It is a balance of how much time and investment it would take vs the expected returns. As it stands this equation would not even out favorably.

Thanks, I figured that out – had to look it up in Safari. Usually it logged in fine without asking for anything, but I guess that with a new version, it's more likely that they double check if you are you.
Yeah, something about this update of Native Access required login information to be entered again. Happened to me this morning too.

Do you not think it'll have to be, sooner or later? It already causes a bottleneck with how it reads data so can't make full use of current drive speeds. It's slow load speeds compared to more modern software are only going to get more and more apparent.
Guys - rewriting code is a HUUUUUGE and scary undertaking fraught with the risk of breaking a million things at any moment.

Hi, @Adil_NI and welcome in this community. I would like to inform you as well that Native Access latest update is pretty much unusable (multiple login requests, searching endlessly for products, download error messages for any download attempts). Is there any way to download a previous version to make it work? I bought many libraries this week from NI and I can’t even install them.
Here's the page with the instructions and the NI 1 link:

Still having issues with latest Kontakt update. (7.10.1)

A hard crash, several instances of Logic reporting that an "AU Unit" (Kontakt) is misbehaving. A "file is corrupt notice"....and strangely the library now doesn't remember the last visual state. Lovely stuff.

Thing is, my setup is vanilla as it comes. Core audio, Logic and that's about it. No mass of copy protection, libraries etc.

I'm going back to 7.8.1 which was the last stable update for me. This is where I'll live for the time being and won't keep bothering the thread.

If you frequent out of the NI forums I hope you haven an extra thick flame suit. More enemies than friends in other forums.

Folks, come on now. NI put out a version of Kontakt 7 that has a problem and has promised to fix it right away. It's not as if the world is coming to an end. Kontakt is still the best there is, and, for me personally, Kontakt 7 has been rock solid until this version. And NI has shown a willingness to listen to those who request changes. All the sturm and drang over this is unnecessary.
Then there's Native Access which refutes this. That is the real problem.

Who remembers when Garritan bought the Giga code? Nothing happened. Then there's Magix....with former Sony products.

Guys - rewriting code is a HUUUUUGE and scary undertaking fraught with the risk of breaking a million things at any moment.
It is a frightening then when code gets acquired but not the people involved in it.

Then there's Native Access which refutes this. That is the real problem.
Say what? I've personally never had an issue with Native Access, and Native Instruments not only took ownership of the problem but fixed it in record time. So I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

Say what? I've personally never had an issue with Native Access, and Native Instruments not only took ownership of the problem but fixed it in record time. So I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.
Plenty of issues with Access. Fix it to only break something else. Check their forums and other forums.

Top Bottom