What's new

Kontakt Samples Not Loading

Gerhard Westphalen

Mastering Engineer (occasionally Scoring Mixer)
I've been trying to load up my template today and almost nothing is getting loaded. Almost all patches have either the yellow or the red purge statues. I don't do any sort of purging so everything should be loading up as it used to. Less than 1/4 of the patches are at the white purge statues. I've left it for hours with the VEP instances connected and disconnected and nothing loads. If I close and reopen it, it's the exact same tracks that load/don't load. Clicking "reload all samples" does nothing. The only way to get anything to load is by playing the patches but even then it takes a while for it to load any of the notes in and then a minute later plays together all of the notes that I played.

The task manager is showing that there are 26GB used by VEP. Adding up the values in Kontakt ends up at less than 7GB. It should be at around 45GB with everything loaded.

I haven't opened my template in a couple of months and recently swapped my last sample HDD with an SSD but I don't see how anything could cause this.

Any ideas?

Edit: I should add that I've tried updating both Kontakt and VEP. VEP is being extremely unresponsive. If I try to delete a patch in Kontakt I get a spinning mouse for about a minute. Trying to delete Kontakt instances takes much longer.

Attachments

• Kontakt.png
    Kontakt.png
    202 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
After a very frustrating 6 hours I think I managed to figure out what's going on.

Short version - it seems that one of my sample SSDs is dying. Kontakt was stuck trying to load those samples before it moved on to the rest on the drives that are working properly.

Long version - I noticed that nothing on my 3rd VEP instance which is all Spitfire brass was loading. I tried loading those patches in a standalone Kontakt and they wouldn't load samples either. When I deleted that instance the rest of my template loaded up fine and everything went back to normal. I looked at the files and I had improperly placed the latest brass update. I started to move the updated files to the correct location and it was incredibly slow and the explorer was freezing up. It took about 30 minutes to move a 200MB file from one folder to another on the same drive.

I thought that perhaps restarting the computer might fix it. The computer wouldn't turn off so I had to hard shut it down. Then when I went to turn it on it said that it was doing an automatic repair and wouldn't get passed that. I just got black screens and couldn't boot into Windows. Even using the Windows recovery disk didn't work. So I went and started getting ready to recover Windows from my daily backup. After about 20 times trying to boot up and leaving it for an hour with a spinning wheel I came back and found it trying to repair my SSD. Once it finished that, it booted up without any issues. I didn't need to recover Windows or anything.

Now it's saying that the SSD doesn't have any issues and my template is loading up properly. I'm not sure if this SSD is about to die and considering that it's boxing day perhaps I should order a replacement just in case.

Top Bottom