What's new

Kontakt factory orchestral percussion : xfade on rolls ?

zoilreb

The Fantastic Mr Zoilreb
Dear VI fellow,

I'm rebuilding my orchestral setup from zero. I've already purchase the strings, the woodwinds and the brass and I'm still missing a good harp and a solid orchestral percussion lib.

In a month or two NI will run its annual 50% off on upgrade/cross grade and kontakt upgrade from kontakt player lib will be at the affordable price of 125€

So while I'm saving for harp and perc I'm considering using the factory library to complete my orchestra.

But I can’t find anywhere if the percussion rolls are controlled by modwheel to xfade velocity layers ?

I'm also wondering how much velocity layer got the timpani ?

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Last edited:
I only ever used the timpani rolls from the factory library, so I can't speak to any other percussion. The roll dynamics of the timpani are not mapped by default to the mod wheel, but it is very easy to map it yourself to the appropriate knob in the UI, and the results came out quite well, or at least I always thought they did. While the raw sample quality of the OT timpani that I eventually replaced it with is markedly superior, I do miss the ability to play in dynamic roll swells with the mod wheel the way I could with the factory timpani.

Sorry, I don't know how many velocity layers there are.

I only ever used the timpani rolls from the factory library, so I can't speak to any other percussion. The roll dynamics of the timpani are not mapped by default to the mod wheel, but it is very easy to map it yourself to the appropriate knob in the UI, and the results came out quite well, or at least I always thought they did. While the raw sample quality of the OT timpani that I eventually replaced it with is markedly superior, I do miss the ability to play in dynamic roll swells with the mod wheel the way I could with the factory timpani.

Sorry, I don't know how many velocity layers there are.

Thank you for this answer. :)

that was fast !

Unfortunatly, there aren't x fade patches for timpani, or cymbals in the legacy patches. But the mapping is already there, the loops are there... so we can just go ahead and make them. :)

All the 'tremelo' patches are only velocity based. Some instruments in legacy have xfade but not the timps.

Hi, airflamesred. I'm aware of that. I was just responding humorously to Leon's remark about me and "nas" not having the same factory library.

Here's a quick xfade tremolo i just put together. Nothing fancy, just the basic roll. It could use some fine tuning, but it's better than not having it, i suppose.

Cheers

Attachments

• Timpani (tremolo xfade).zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom