What's new

Justice League

Same old fucking crap from Elfman and ALL of the composers that HE has been inspired or RIPPED OFF from!

Like that Junkie XL "Screaming Guitars" bullshit (Wonder Woman's Theme), THIS is just another example of soundtrack composers who have LONG over stayed their welcome.

Put ANOTHER way- don't expect THIS music, to be remembered or re-issued 40 years from now.

Not ANYTHING like STAR WARS.

Can YOU please HELP me understand your USE OF caps. HONESTLY, I cannot REALLY follow it.

IIRC James Horner was sometimes called out on re-using some of his themes across different films or lifting other pieces of classical music.

On another note, I am interested to hear what Mark Mothersbaugh did with Thor: Ragnarok. I thought he was an interesting choice to score a superhero film when I first heard about it. I can't imagine him falling into the homogenized sound of the rest of the films.

On another note, I am interested to hear what Mark Mothersbaugh did with Thor: Ragnarok. I thought he was an interesting choice to score a superhero film when I first heard about it. I can't imagine him falling into the homogenized sound of the rest of the films.

In my humble opinion the movie was one of the best Marvel movies I've seen...and I've seen all of them several times (comic book fan). To me, the score wasn't that memorable, but I think it fit the movie well, I was actually surprised to hear some 80s synth lines in there. But considering the way the movie presented itself, they didn't feel out of place at all.

Apparently Danny Elfman had a interview recently with a Spanish website called 'Reporte Indigo' about his Batman score where as response to one of the questions he claims that his 'Batman' theme is the ONLY Batman theme. His response starts at 2:27.

I will admit that I was worried when it was rumoured that Danny Elfman was hired to replace Junkie XL as while Danny's Batman themes for Batman and Batman Returns are absolutely brilliant and iconic they were for films that were of their time and era and I cannot see them working with the Justice League film no matter how they are jazzed up.

I don't know why he made that decision whether it was with good intentions or arrogance but I feel that it is a mistake and may help torpedo the DC Cinematic Universe.

What does anyone else think?

Well it comes down to what you define as theme then! I love Danny Elfman's score for the original Batman but Hans has clearly come up with a theme imho! I mean the ultra-expressive horn line is still ringing in my head. Sounded like a theme to me, no??

here's a very short example of his Batman theme as used in the movie.

I gotta say, hearing the classic theme and watching Batman doing his thing brought back some good memories! We'll see how it goes when the film hits the theaters...

I kinda thought the movie looked like a disaster from the beginning.
Nothing against Elfman, but this sounds like an entirely different universe.
I've just listened to both tracks several times and i find it less memorable and exciting than a well-layered percussion hit. I guess it might work in the context of the movie (if you've stayed away from DC movies for the past 15 years)
And how is the WW theme gonna fit into all of this? Won't be surprised if he's come up with a new one for her, which would be sad.

Oh well..

Reactions: J-M
I've just listened to both tracks several times and i find it less memorable and exciting than a well-layered percussion hit. I guess it might work in the context of the movie (if you've stayed away from DC movies for the past 15 years)
And how is the WW theme gonna fit into all of this? Won't be surprised if he's come up with a new one for her, which would be sad.

Oh well..

As a fan of superheroes and comics in general, DCs cinematic universe has never looked that good...in my opinion anyway. They only have a few movies and are already trying to introduce JL and the greater villains without establishing a proper universe first...

I agree but in retrospect it's difficult to see how things could have been done better. On the one hand they're trying to introduce this gravitas around Batman, and a "mystery" about whether Superman will return, that is totally out of proportion with how much we've seen these versions of the characters on screen and how forgettable those story installments were, BVS especially. On the other hand if they delayed Justice League any further there would have been at least 4, maybe 5 or 6, "team up" movies coming out first - Avengers, Ultron, Civil War, Ragnarok (?), Suicide Squad, possibly Avengers 4, etc. Despite the hundreds of millions it takes to make them, "team up" movies are already old hat in 2017... pushing it to 2018 or 2019 might really have been risky.

Right now Wonder Woman is carrying the DCU. I like the cyborg-looking guy and Khal Drogo as Aquaman has promise too. The DCU's versions of Batman, Superman (and the Joker if they dare to bring back the version from Suicide Squad) are the drags.

I made this chart over the summer ("Holding like a champ" was a box-office discussion inside joke about how well Spider-Man kept holding on to the weekend B.O. week after week).

It really shows that Wonder-Woman had the box office legs of a Disney movie.

Many films dip heavily in the 2nd & 3rd month as theaters rotate films, Wonder Woman by contrast actually EXPANDED its screenings after 3 months.

I really think some smart exec at WB ought to just take some initiative, cut their losses and make the DCU about Wonder Woman. Seriously - why not? Where does it say in the Bible that DC is the Superman Channel?

Here's another way of looking at it, with the benefit of history. If you had to formulate a movie strategy for Marvel in 2008 the "right", conservative answer would have been "pay through the nose to get Spider-Man back because he's the only one anyone cares about." Instead they took the creative route and built their whole universe around Iron Man. It worked because people care less about the specific character than the kind of movie and spectacle that's being offered. Iron Man is a high street tier character like Spidey, he does aerial stunts similar to Spidey, he is a wisecracker like Spidey, he has personal struggles and isn't just an impassive god - you can see all of the appeal of a Spider-Man movie was there, if you made a good Iron Man movie. I see Wonder Woman as being an obvious substitute for Supes in that regard. Can anyone really save this incarnation of Supes? It's remarkable how little people care about his resurrection.

Can anyone really save this incarnation of Supes?
I don't want to turn this thread into another MoS/BvS vs the rest of the world warzone. But comic book movies-wise, Snyder's Superman is the best thing we have ever got only next to Nolan's Batman, IMO.

Oh well..

He said he will use the theme Hans and Junkie XL (actually, it's more Tina Guo) wrote. You can hear it here (near the end) in a more orchestral way:

I don't want to turn this thread into another MoS/BvS vs the rest of the world warzone. But comic book movies-wise, Snyder's Superman is the best thing we have ever got only next to Nolan's Batman, IMO.

WHAT? *incomprehensible youtube rant about your tastes as an individual and how you know nothing about DC.

But all kidding aside, all we can do is hope that the movie is at least decent and the score fits. :scout:

Last edited:
here's a very short example of his Batman theme as used in the movie.

Sounds good !

I think the decision of Danny to use his original main theme is obvious. I don't see it as a "pun" to Hans.

Does Danny Elfman sound like Hans Zimmer normally? no. They have completely different styles. Two unique voices.

If he had used HZ Nolan Batman, and Man Of Steel theme, it would not have
sounded "legit" to me. It's simply not his thing.. if I was a director and I wanted to hire Danny Elfman, I would love him to express himself fully.

In the same way, it's obvious that he uses John Williams superman theme. He certainly feels closer to Williams style than Zimmer.

Look , we're getting a soundtrack with themes by John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman and Junkie XL , how cool is that? I can't wait to see the epic end credits roll with all these names :D

(btw , I've seen some clips of the movie and the Elfman soundtrack sound pretty good ! and wonderwoman theme in danny's hands sound pretty good )

Oh well..

Sorry but.... all DC movies must have scores that are similar in style ? If yes, that's kinda sad for originality.

Sorry but.... all DC movies must have scores that are similar in style ? If yes, that's kinda sad for originality.
If by similar, you mean a red line, or anything that makes you feel like the movie you're watching is related to MoS and BvS, then yes. Originality? Yeah, the new theme is very original. Never heard anything like it.

Different colors is ok (as we heard in the clip for Wonder Woman). Different language when you're in a sequel, that's a different story.

Expanding themes with new ones to match the growing story, make sense. That's what Jablonsky did on the first 3 Transformers movies. But I don't think it would have made sense to have another composer coming in for #3 and start using the Transformers G1 theme from the 1980's TV show. For Movie #1 ok. #4 could as well since it was kind of a reboot.

In the case of Justice League, if it would be the first in the serie, that would be fine to bring back classic themes. But since it's the sequel of the sequel when you had a whole bunch of thematic material that were consistant up until now, doesn't make sense to go in a totally different thematic direction and deny anything that existed before, no matter how cool and awesome using classic themes that people love could be in terms of marketing. Adapting the existing ones, with Elfman's signature and style would have done it. But that's just my 2 cents as a cinephile. ;)

Top Bottom