What's new

Justice League

Although I initially clashed with Hans on this forum and other messanging with a few cheap shots, talking directly with him was very helpful in me understand many things about the trade and myself. Not only that, but I gradually discovered so much more to his style than the epic genre and 16th note pattern, which today I see as just one technique among others, and can admire the wealth of different music styles he scored. I was basically being a perroquet. With so many things that are said about the film industry, it can become confusing and out of foccus, and it is refreshing to occasionally hear it directly from the horse's mouth. Hans is a great ambassador to his trade chiming in like this giving a fact/reality check to the business.

Last edited:
@Rctec
Someone mentioned Brian Tyler.... I would know in an instant, sight unseen, that "Now You See Me" is a Brian Tyler score as it's so quintessentially "him"; or that "Sherlock Holmes" is you; or that "Kingsman" is Jackman; etc.

I would also add Harry Gregson-Williams to this as his scores have a very distinctive sound and presentation to my ears.

Apparently Danny Elfman had a interview recently with a Spanish website called 'Reporte Indigo' about his Batman score where as response to one of the questions he claims that his 'Batman' theme is the ONLY Batman theme. His response starts at 2:27.

I will admit that I was worried when it was rumoured that Danny Elfman was hired to replace Junkie XL as while Danny's Batman themes for Batman and Batman Returns are absolutely brilliant and iconic they were for films that were of their time and era and I cannot see them working with the Justice League film no matter how they are jazzed up.

I don't know why he made that decision whether it was with good intentions or arrogance but I feel that it is a mistake and may help torpedo the DC Cinematic Universe.

What does anyone else think?

Last edited:
so that big WW electric cello theme...along with the classic Superman theme (for a cartoonish Superman) and the Batman theme he wrote for the, again, very cartoonish Batman all mixed in a very serious world that was established in WW, MOS and BvS... will have to see how it stand within the movie, but I'm really disappointed to see a break in the thematic of these characters... Probably would have been different if JL would have been the first movie with those character, but denying there history now that you've got 3 movies establishing them already...I dunno... wait and see I guess...

Apparently Danny Elfman had a interview recently with a Spanish website called 'Reporte Indigo' about his Batman score where as response to one of the questions he claims that his 'Batman' theme is the ONLY Batman theme. His response starts at 2:27.

The script won't even give him a chance to explore 1% of the depth Nolan found in Batman. It will obviously nail the nostalgia and thats the only thing these cheesy super hero movies aspire to do. Perfect man for the job.

But I've said it before: music is indefensible. I can't talk an audience or a director into liking something. I can't bullshit, reason, rationalize, intellectualize why they should like something.

But you can certainly TRY, right? i.e. How does that tie into the song and dance of selling the music, selling the concept either to directors or the general public? All of these composer puff pieces are about that ...talking about broad, somewhat musical concepts in made up, non-musical terms in order to sell it/relate it as something specific to the film. It's window dressing and it certainly doesn't mean that the actual music will land as you said. Is the PR song and dance a necessary evil? Bc otherwise the composer is just solely relying on their music as well as being this faceless non-entity with a music credit. We have to write great music and then also let everyone know that it's there and how great the concept behind it is.

I guess my question is 'How do you really sell them on your music?' bc it seems you can't JUST do it with the music. You sell the concept and you sell the music...but how much of each? What's the best way to think about this?

Last edited:
Apparently Danny Elfman had a interview recently with a Spanish website called 'Reporte Indigo' about his Batman score where as response to one of the questions he claims that his 'Batman' theme is the ONLY Batman theme.

Weird thing for Danny to say, but, it's kind of true? I see Zimmer's theme as Elfman's theme boiled down to its elemental core. The Dmin-Bbmaj motion and the idea of a crescendo and rising melody and big Gothic feeling orchestration, are all in Elfman's theme, and they're present in HZ's "two chord" theme too. To resist calling that a theme, though, I think is wrong because in the same film he showed even 1 evolving note can be a theme.

All of these composer puff pieces are about that ...talking about broad, somewhat musical concepts in made up, non-musical terms in order to sell it/relate it as something specific to the film. It's window dressing and it certainly doesn't mean that the actual music will land as you said

LOL. Well it's true he always seems to have a ready made "hook" for the entertainment press's coverage of his work (e.g. the "letter" from Interstellar or the basement piano for Sherlock) but don't get things confused, that has nothing to do with making the film work. It works on its own terms.

Last edited:
we will see how the movie is and then make our judgments
but....
I've probably listened to the Dark Knight score a few dozen times at least since '08 and Elfman's score maybe 0 times outside of the movie.
I've also listened to the Man of Steel score numerous times in the last 4 years including watching the movie over and over. I absolutely loved MOS, are they scrapping the themes and palettes that HZ did for that as well? geez...
they've already used them in the trailer marketing? i'm confused...

well. there's a quick article about that interview Elfman did. and for fun, they did swap the themes on movies, meaning they used Elfman's theme on Batman Begin and then Zimmer's theme on Tim Burton's Batman. One fits better in both visual style than the other in my opinion. And I hope that Elfman adapted his Batman theme in a more serious/dark / less fantasy style to fit the mood of DCU. but we'll see in a few days when the movie comes out. I still don't agree to mix themes from different worlds like that, but it is what it is. ;) https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1720160/what-danny-elfman-thinks-about-hans-zimmers-batman-theme

well. there's a quick article about that interview Elfman did. and for fun, they did swap the themes on movies, meaning they used Elfman's theme on Batman Begin and then Zimmer's theme on Tim Burton's Batman. One fits better in both visual style than the other in my opinion. And I hope that Elfman adapted his Batman theme in a more serious/dark / less fantasy style to fit the mood of DCU. but we'll see in a few days when the movie comes out. I still don't agree to mix themes from different worlds like that, but it is what it is. ;) https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1720160/what-danny-elfman-thinks-about-hans-zimmers-batman-theme

Score-swapping like in that example isn’t really a fair way to judge the effectiveness of a score, though. Danny Elfman would have never written that many notes over a dialogue scene, for example, to say nothing of mood, tone, or dramatic-filmic intent. Of course the Zimmer music works better in that clip, but it doesn’t prove or disprove anything about who they are as film composers or which style is “better”; it just proves that whoever made that video made a more appropriate selection with the Zimmer/Burton mashup.

What is helpful, and fair, is seeing how the composer himself uses, or doesn’t use, a theme or motive in a scene or a movie. For example, in DKR Zimmer directly quotes Elfman’s theme a couple times in the basses:

It's not a particularly spectacular moment in the film, nor is it a foregrounded moment for the music, but it does show Hans Zimmer, intentionally or not, equating an on-screen Batman with scale degrees 1-2-♭3-♭6-5, with the first three notes equal in length and short and latter two notes longer: the Elfman Batman theme.

But notice! Zimmer also simultaneously uses his own two-note Batman motif in the horns above - which obviously means "on-screen Batman" - so is he really using the Elfman theme as a Batman signifier, too?

Only he can answer.

But whatever that answer is, the quotes of the Elfman theme in DKR don't sound anything like those same notes sound in the Burton movies. And that's okay - these were very different movies! But this moment in the film wasn't cheapened by 1-2-♭3-♭6-5, because Zimmer made it appropriate in "tone" for the moment and for the movie.

So...

Until the movie comes out on the 17th (or you're lucky and get to go to a screening), it's sort of pointless to talk about how good the score is, since without the context of the picture, you're only looking a shadow cast on a cave wall.

...Or a Bat-Signal in the Gotham clouds... ;)

(and just to clarify: @Grizzlymv this is a response to the link you shared, not an attack on you!)

Didn't felt that way. Don't worry. ;) To clarify though, I didn't share it to start a debate about which theme is better, as both are equally great in my book. They belong to different world and they work perfectly in theirs own. It was more to highlight the tone and color would or wouldn't work well in a different universe it was written for. Nobody will deny how iconic William's Superman or Eflman's Batman themes are. No matter how good or bad one could think the MCU themes are, doesn't justify that move in opinion.

But then again, Elfman knows very well what he's doing and he surely found a way to adapt his theme for the tone and color of the MCU world. We'll see in the movie how it goes. And maybe eventually we'll know the reasons of that sudden thematic change in that MCU universe.

The sound and orchestration is nice and great executed. I like the Atmosphere. But honestly..I don´t like the theme at all. It misses for me the "theme". Where is it really..He wrote a bunch of notes going forth and back..reduce this piece to 2 hand Piano..and you have minus the orchestration a not coherent piece in my opinion. I am suprised how bad written this theme ist. Sorry to say, but that is my opinion on Dannys Work..a bit strange because I like his older works a lot. There is no red thread throughout the piece. When it would be underscore..allright..hit and miss but for a theme..this is tragically bad for my taste.

I don't think I've heard a "theme" in a superhero movie for decades. I think about the 3 Spiderman films with Toby plus the Garfield ones too, all those X-Men films and their solo spinoffs, the Avengers series and all their solo films, etc. The Batman trilogy, and really most Zimmer stuff. Seriously I can't hum a single theme. The superhero TV shows are even worse, although Supergirl might have a little one, just not that good.
And it's funny because Elfman did the 80s Batman which has a very good theme and cohesive threads. But he never repeated that success.
Other film types like fantasy and sci-fi don't suffer so much, the Hobbit films have some notable themes. Obviously Harry Potter as well. I wish I could say Interstellar had some kind of theme because I actually quite like that one. Trying to think of a recent sci-fi flick (not star wars universe) with a good theme?

The sound and orchestration is nice and great executed. I like the Atmosphere. But honestly..I don´t like the theme at all. It misses for me the "theme". Where is it really..He wrote a bunch of notes going forth and back..reduce this piece to 2 hand Piano..and you have minus the orchestration a not coherent piece in my opinion. I am suprised how bad written this theme ist. Sorry to say, but that is my opinion on Dannys Work..a bit strange because I like his older works a lot. There is no red thread throughout the piece. When it would be underscore..allright..hit and miss but for a theme..this is tragically bad for my taste.

Same old fucking crap from Elfman and ALL of the composers that HE has been inspired or RIPPED OFF from!

Like that Junkie XL "Screaming Guitars" bullshit (Wonder Woman's Theme), THIS is just another example of soundtrack composers who have LONG over stayed their welcome.

Put ANOTHER way- don't expect THIS music, to be remembered or re-issued 40 years from now.

Not ANYTHING like STAR WARS.

(the joke, if you don't get it, is that (broken link removed)... but since when did that stop anyone from having an opinion...)

Well this is embarrassing, but when I heard the theme for the first time I thought it was a guitar...and I've been playing for...9 years? :rofl: (But to be fair, Tina can make a cello sound like a guitar any day of the week)

Well this is embarrassing, but when I heard the theme for the first time I thought it was a guitar...and I've been playing for...9 years? :rofl: (But to be fair, Tina can make a cello sound like a guitar any day of the week)

Whenever I hear the Wonder Woman theme played on a electric cello I feel very sorry for Tina as she’ll probably be playing that theme for a long long time.

Same old fucking crap from Elfman and ALL of the composers that HE has been inspired or RIPPED OFF from!

Like that Junkie XL "Screaming Guitars" bullshit (Wonder Woman's Theme), THIS is just another example of soundtrack composers who have LONG over stayed their welcome.

Put ANOTHER way- don't expect THIS music, to be remembered or re-issued 40 years from now.

Not ANYTHING like STAR WARS.
Can YOU please HELP me understand your USE OF caps. HONESTLY, I cannot REALLY follow it.

Top Bottom