What's new

Just updated to Cubase 9 pro - how to migrate Template from 8.5x?

Rob Elliott

Got the irresistible half off offer to update and did (installed - all seems to be ok) - I guess it has been a while but NOW - how do I migrate my 900+track template over to 9.0?

Sure hope I don't have to rebuild from scratch.

Got the irresistible half off offer to update and did (installed - all seems to be ok) - I guess it has been a while but NOW - how do I migrate my 900+track template over to 9.0?

Sure hope I don't have to rebuild from scratch.

This should be simple Rob, just open the original project inside c9 (file>open) then click File > 'save as template'.
That's the quickest way i can think of..

Super T. J. - I'll give that a go. Just sorting out plug paths now. Thanks again. That sounds like a snap.

You're welcome Rob,

iirc a couple of things were not copied over properly, so a couple of things had no presets (logical editor, midi arp etc.)
Real easy fix, just copy/paste from the original c8 folder, or maybe it got sorted in one of the updates..

If you had custom preferences/key commands you probably need to dig for the c8 folder anyway to copy those over

Yea my prefs copied over just fine - so far as I can tell. Was already to copy over keycommands, logical presets, etc.... So far so good on that - knocking on my 'wooden' forehead probably was the thing to do. :)

Bought the update yesterday but I will be dragging my feet for a few weeks before committing to the install. Should be straight forward...but you never know....you never know.

Jeffrey - I have been waiting the last few hours for an approval so I had a little window but I can open up 'older projects' in 8.5 - just in case there was a problem. So far the update is good - I don't like the auto plug pathways but easy to fix and set.

Should have said the mixer undo feature IS THE REASON FOR MY TAKING RISK DURING PROJECTS. This feature is so long overdue. When you are flying to get stuff out and you need a rice trail to back up - well, this is it. So excited for this one feature.

Ya Pro Tools had that feature forever(mixer undo) I've been missing it when I switched over to Cubase years ago, but now we're back baby. No more opening up backup sessions to see where a fader was if I accidentally moved it!

Had to jump away from this yesterday but back on it and old template opens just fine in C9- saves just fine. But on closing of it - and it gives the following "Cubase 9 has stopped working" after closed. Is this a 'Cubase 9.02 thingy yet to be resolved? I have saved all my prefs from Cubase 8.5 - so I guess I could trash the 9.02 prefs and move over ones I need from 8.5 (on the install of 9 the prefs from 8.5 moved over just fine). Would that make a difference/solve this issue??

Last edited:
Well - looks like Cubase 9.02 for me is not ready for prime time. Trashed prefs and C9 crashed on template and any other previous working 8.5 project. C9 closes and the a second after you see it completely close you get the above 'not working....' dialog box :(

'problem details' - say Fault Module name: "InnerProcessDictionary_x64.dll" - any hints to anyone?

Well - looks like Cubase 9.02 for me is not ready for prime time. Trashed prefs and C9 crashed on template and any other previous working 8.5 project. C9 closes and the a second after you see it completely close you get the above 'not working....' dialog box :(

'problem details' - say Fault Module name: "InnerProcessDictionary_x64.dll" - any hints to anyone?

Sorry to hear it Rob, i had a toooon of crashes with C9 from day 1 and then one day it just worked.
Still no idea what I did that fixed it..
It still has some visual glitches but no more crashes

any 32 bit plugs in the template?

There was none in the template (32 bit plugs) but it did on first start up 'blacklist' one I had (stutter me thinks). It's gotta be a plug as their factory templates open and close just fine. Man I hate updating steiny. My 8.5 is SOOOOO solid - maybe the best to date. I'll try to track this down but I may be going back to 8.5 for the next while.

OK - FREAKING WEIRD!!!! Saw this workaround on SB forum. 'Close' C9 with the right red X and NOT Cntrl+Q (quit). I did this and no crash. C9 closes - almost all the way (all project windows, links to VEPRO, etc.) - hit the RED X one more time - closes fine.

I don't think this is a plug-in issue. Really love the new features but this is making me nervous and prolly will work on 8.5 moving forward until this is worked out.

now today - the workaround of hitting the red X doesn't work. I also now see why cubase offered the update for half off - got what you paid for. :( Back to 8.5 for a while (grateful that still works)

Top Bottom