What's new

Journey (BBCSO Discover Test)

Samrat

(formerly: akhill jain)
Recently, I did a Harry Potter marathon yet again :P and got inspired by a portion in the piece 'Another year ends' in the 4th part by Patrick Doyle and thought of putting the BBSCO Discover to test while composing the piece around that portion. Would love to know your thoughts and feedback. Thank you.

Last edited:
I really like this, Akhill. I probably won't be the first to say this - but all I could think of whilst enjoying the music was "this would sound better with the core/pro library."

But beautiful nonetheless. 👍

Recently, I did a Harry Potter marathon yet again :P and got inspired by a portion in the piece 'Another year ends' in the 4th part by Patrick Doyle and thought of putting the BBSCO Discovery to test while composing the piece around that portion. Would love to know your thoughts and feedback. Thank you.

Nice job, man! But perhaps you could cover up more of the library's 'failings' by sticking this in a bigger/wetter space :2thumbs:

I really like this, Akhill. I probably won't be the first to say this - but all I could think of whilst enjoying the music was "this would sound better with the core/pro library."

But beautiful nonetheless. 👍
Really glad you liked it Alex. Thanks for the feedback. I agree it would be better with the core/pro versions, though I don't have em yet and I anyway wanted to test it so I thought why not! This is the best I could do for now, while I think there's a scope for improvement as far as programming is concerned. Any observations on that from you?

Nice job, man! But perhaps you could cover up more of the library's 'failings' by sticking this in a bigger/wetter space :2thumbs:
Thank you so much for your thoughts!
Glad you liked it. I did think of the point you mentioned, it's just with this free version, there was an in built reverb by default on the samples even after disabling it on the plug in and so I didn't think if that'll make sense, but I'll surely spend some time on it and figure it.
Thanks again! Cheers😇

Thank you so much for your thoughts!
Glad you liked it. I did think of the point you mentioned, it's just with this free version, there was an in built reverb by default on the samples even after disabling it on the plug in and so I didn't think if that'll make sense, but I'll surely spend some time on it and figure it.
Thanks again! Cheers😇

Getting rid of the room would be difficult. But no reason you can't try to match the room sound with a reverb, while extending the decay. I'm probably not the best to advise which, but those who have more orchestral library experience could probably suggest. I'm definitely curious, also, as I want to incorporate 'Discover' into a template, or two.

I think reverb would help here no end, I'm going to do a masterclass on "sucking" and how to avoid it, a combination of judicious expression control and attention to note lengths would also help this very grand effort!

I know it sounds ridiculous idea with a budget lib, but separate each voice out into its own instrument and create unique expression control for each, this will also help it sound less synthy.

I think reverb would help here no end, I'm going to do a masterclass on "sucking" and how to avoid it, a combination of judicious expression control and attention to note lengths would also help this very grand effort!

I know it sounds ridiculous idea with a budget lib, but separate each voice out into its own instrument and create unique expression control for each, this will also help it sound less synthy.
Thank you for the feedback Christian. I'll incorporate the same and revise the piece. Although I did give each instrument separate part.. I guess I shall revisit it. Thanks again! :D

Really glad you liked it Alex. Thanks for the feedback. I agree it would be better with the core/pro versions, though I don't have em yet and I anyway wanted to test it so I thought why not! This is the best I could do for now, while I think there's a scope for improvement as far as programming is concerned. Any observations on that from you?
I think anything I could pick up on would be more about the limitations of the library rather than your programming deficiencies.

Maybe a few more, exaggerated tempo changes wouldn't go amiss.

Seeing as BBCSO is 40% off this month - and if you do decide to upgrade - I'd love to hear the "remixed" version.

I think anything I could pick up on would be more about the limitations of the library rather than your programming deficiencies.

Maybe a few more, exaggerated tempo changes wouldn't go amiss.

Seeing as BBCSO is 40% off this month - and if you do decide to upgrade - I'd love to hear the "remixed" version.
Sure thank you!

Now I want to get this library and try it out. Two weeks waiting period... :unsure:

Mixing. Looks like BBCSO Discover needs some extra mixing work to sound natural.
1. Separate each instrument. Make each instrument sound as much natural as possible using mod wheel.
2. Set each instrument into it's own stereo panorama place.
3. Add reverb.
4. Volume.

Composition:
1. I listened through the piece a couple times. Nice beginning, but then after first boom, I got lost. Found myself again after the second boom.
2. So-o much strings! It was nice to hear occasionally other instruments.
3. More percussion. Just my personal preference.
4. No brass? o_O
5. Was that accordeon after first boom? Looks like it's trying to play some melody, but I couldn't figure it out.

Now I want to get this library and try it out. Two weeks waiting period... :unsure:

Mixing. Looks like BBCSO Discover needs some extra mixing work to sound natural.
1. Separate each instrument. Make each instrument sound as much natural as possible using mod wheel.
2. Set each instrument into it's own stereo panorama place.
3. Add reverb.
4. Volume.

Composition:
1. I listened through the piece a couple times. Nice beginning, but then after first boom, I got lost. Found myself again after the second boom.
2. So-o much strings! It was nice to hear occasionally other instruments.
3. More percussion. Just my personal preference.
4. No brass? o_O
5. Was that accordeon after first boom? Looks like it's trying to play some melody, but I couldn't figure it out.
Hey, thank you so much for your thoughts!
As far as composition is concerned, your points mentioned are a little too subjective imo and that's alright! It's an interesting insight.
There's no accordion used in the piece. After the first drum roll on Taikos/Timpani that you hear as 'Boom', it's just strings immediately after. The only other instruments that are heard apart from the strings are Harp, flute and timpani. I think you're referring to Harp in this case.
I wanted to primarily base it on a string orchestra and hence.
In any case, thank you for your thoughts, appreciate it😊

Last edited:
I agree, most of my comments above are subjective.
I listened to it again, and what sounded as accordion, is strings hittings one specific note. In my headphones it sounded like accordion.

Look forward to the masterclass, especially if you bring the Midas Touch to Discover ;)

Top Bottom