What's new

January 6: new Spitfire Originals release Cinematic Frozen Strings - “Tundra First Chairs” (thanks @ism)

Cinematic Frozen Strings sound wonderful. At $29. they are a no brainer buy for me.

Loved the Tremolo Harmonics, very unique. The Flautando Sordino sound great as well, and so do the rest of the included articulations. the DPA mounted instrument mics, for that super close sound is really nice. I would like this to be something they do more often.

I was thinking it sounds great but I can get all these from libraries I currently own, but then I realised that these libraries aren’t marketed towards me & the majority of others it’s for people on a budget or just starting out!

If I had these starting out I would’ve been in heaven !

Sounds like a worthy addition to Tundra then and still worth buying if you have that (I'm assuming it's not free to Tundra owners now as it's whole new recordings).

I was thinking it sounds great but I can get all these from libraries I currently own, but then I realised that these libraries aren’t marketed towards me & the majority of others it’s for people on a budget or just starting out!

If I had these starting out I would’ve been in heaven !

My take on this is that this is a very distinct and novel extension of Tundra in the direction of something "first chairs"-like (the concept being slightly tweaked to recognize with Tundra's huge section sizes). The key thing about the Tundra is the very specific sonority you get from playing so softly in a space like AIR. Which dry libraries simply don't have.

The closest I can think to this would be Neo ... which is more like "chamber Tundra" (although it's distinct enough that even this is a very crude distinction), to the "Tundra First Chairs" of this library.

So I'm curious what libraries you can get all theses sounds with? (For I'd like to buy them immediately :) )

Last edited:
yep, instabuy here. (Plus, this is how I keep hoping they'll do a quartet! ;))
Yes - and these "Tundra First chairs" then need their own first chairs too :)

And separately, OACE needs a solo edition.

I've not got Tundra or Albion Neo so I assume this could be a really good and cheap addition to get similar Tundra/Albion Neo type textures?

I don't have Neo, but I've been working a lot with Tundra recently. And it has the eloquent expressiveness in the timbres and textures of all of it's articulations, in which you can find a real lyricism ....

... but it also needs a find brush layer. SCS might do this (though I don't have it), or Neo. And OACE is helpful. But this is absolutely perfect to add a particular, and much needed, type of fine brush texture.

The hardest thing about writing for Tundra is to escape it's ambient pady quality - it's just too easy to compose utterly beautiful ambient mush. Gorgeous, but nothing an only slightly above averagely talented cat couldn't write while having a nap on your keyboard.

Hence my long standing "fine brush" angst. Legatos in this - or in ISS - would be immensely welcome also. But you otherwise couldn't ask for a better tool to complement Tundra.

Last edited:
8 Players, recorded in AIR. Apparently new recordings, meant to be the small cousin of Tundra. Flautandos sound good.

4 Vlns / 2 Celli / 2 Basses - no violas.

Close / Tree / Superclose DPA mic attached to the bridge of each player’s instrument
Waiting for App Download (2.63 GB) ! Orignals have been major SFA focus of late. Truly high on this latest !
( and long, enjoyable time with Tundra )

Last edited:
Gorgeous, but nothing an only slightly above averagely talented couldn't write while having a nap on your keyboard.
Hey that sounds just like me! :D

I doubt it, because unlike the example you’re giving these are not rehashed samples taken from Tundra.
Yeah, I saw a couple of replies that went up as I was writing that and it made me realise it was totally new.

Top Bottom