What's new

Izotope Music Production Pro - Subscription Now...

This sentence from iZotope's FAQ bothers me the most:

The products in Music Production Suite 4 will not receive the same updates and enhancements as the “Pro” versions.......

This clearly tells us that the purchased versions of iZotope products will be inferior to the subscription versions (Pro). It's one thing to have a subscription include bonus educational content.. but to have the application itself be different? That is a terrible policy going forward.
Makes it sound like they will let their non-pro products die an ignominious death...

That's disappointing.

And it seems wrong. I'm not seeing any fine print that would indicate that. Did you talk to anyone from support about it?
I agree that it's not documented. I thought about raising the issue with them but decided not to. I think I was just too busy then to spend time on it.

I sure hope this revelation — that businesses are in business to make money — doesn't come as a shock to anyone here. The world of business is not a Hallmark Christmas movie.
I don't think that's a shock to anyone. However there's been a pretty common mythology floating around VIC (and GS, and probably all of the other audio forums) for a while that companies who run fire sales like Izotope are doing it because fierce competition has somehow forced them to have to lower prices just to keep up, when in reality these aggressive sales models have given them more leverage than ever to roll out a subscription model where the ramifications are totally vague, if not intentionally manipulative.

Penalizing the perpetual license buyer by deliberately restricting their access to updates (the 1st model of its kind that I'm aware of in the music software sphere) is hardly subtle in terms of it being designed to manipulate people's purchasing habits.

As the quote goes... 'There are only two industries that call their customers 'users': the illegal drug trade and software'. (Tufte)

Last edited:
Penalizing the perpetual license buyer by deliberately restricting their access to updates (the 1st model of its kind that I'm aware of in the music software sphere) is hardly subtle in terms of it being designed to manipulate people's purchasing habits.
Manipulation of purchasing habits is business strategy 101. Obviously no business is going to come right out and say "We're shaking things up in order to get more money from your hands into ours," but in a free market, it's fully within the business's right to try to manipulate how their customers spend their money.

Also, access to plugin updates is not an entitlement; it's a privilege, so no one is being penalized here. I would think that if a Windows security update broke a plugin, Izotope would provide a fix at no charge to all purchasers, but it's fully within Izotope's right to control access to enhancements and additional content.

Agreed. They update their software every 5 minutes - including constantly tweaking the UI, which is confusing, but I don't think it's appreciably better than 5 years ago. As long as they are fat and happy they have little incentive on their sub model. I feel like sub models benefit the companies way more than the regular users.
I was a hardcore, twenty year Adobe Photoshop user. I now use Affinity Photo, currently on sale for about $30 (I believe). It pretty much does everything PS can do and some of it a lot better. I bought it a year or so ago and haven't looked back.
I can understand this with Adobe though. The Suite used to be £1,500
With my sub model of £31/m it works out to cost me just over £300 annually.
Since it used to update often, with costs, this makes sense to me.

Not to mention the storage thrown into the package and tutorials thare supported and updated by the company themselves.

As someone who has a career alongside music, I have no issues with subs. I have PA sub, EastWest and Adobe.

After University I made a decision that unless, I was going to work in games music or trailer music libraries, I was not going to have this as a primary source of income. The Industry is exciting, but also highly uncertain. Fortunately I was advised to go into IT and have music as a passion that I hold to going forward.

What I dislike about subscriptions is the fact current customers aren't compensated in some way for what they've already bought. For example, someone who owns komplete 13 collectors edition shouldn't have to pay the same as someone who owns nothing from NI. I know this is theoretical and NI haven't announced anything, by going from past experience that's the way it plays out.

Hey, I will subscribe to every single plug in company once all my clients subscribe to MY services.
I want x money every months from every company and private clients who ever used my services, even on an hourly basis, I will accept only subs.
Thank you.

These people live in dreamland...

Manipulation of purchasing habits is business strategy 101. Obviously no business is going to come right out and say "We're shaking things up in order to get more money from your hands into ours," but in a free market, it's fully within the business's right to try to manipulate how their customers spend their money.

Also, access to plugin updates is not an entitlement; it's a privilege, so no one is being penalized here. I would think that if a Windows security update broke a plugin, Izotope would provide a fix at no charge to all purchasers, but it's fully within Izotope's right to control access to enhancements and additional content.
There are no free markets, thats a myth. The relatjonship is completely asymmetrical

Last edited:
I don't like subscriptions, but I would actually subscribe for Ozone + TBC alone if/when my current version (something something Advanced 9) stops working on my system...

I can understand this with Adobe though. The Suite used to be £1,500
With my sub model of £31/m it works out to cost me just over £300 annually.
Since it used to update often, with costs, this makes sense to me.

Not to mention the storage thrown into the package and tutorials thare supported and updated by the company themselves.

As someone who has a career alongside music, I have no issues with subs. I have PA sub, EastWest and Adobe.

After University I made a decision that unless, I was going to work in games music or trailer music libraries, I was not going to have this as a primary source of income. The Industry is exciting, but also highly uncertain. Fortunately I was advised to go into IT and have music as a passion that I hold to going forward.
I paid $600 for Photoshop CS6. Right after that they went subscription and I refused to do it. Used CS6 for several years before discovering Affinity Photo. Never felt I needed any upgrades until Affinity came along. Going subscription is a cash grab. None of the upgrades is worth $300 a year. I paid $25 for Affinity on sale and they've already upgraded multiple times for free. It does nearly everything Photoshop does and does it well. And the learning curve was practically zero.

I paid $600 for Photoshop CS6. Right after that they went subscription and I refused to do it. Used CS6 for several years before discovering Affinity Photo. Never felt I needed any upgrades until Affinity came along. Going subscription is a cash grab. None of the upgrades is worth $300 a year. I paid $25 for Affinity on sale and they've already upgraded multiple times for free. It does nearly everything Photoshop does and does it well. And the learning curve was practically zero.
I will do the same if exist a real replacement for Lightroom.

Ok, I am sure in that context it makes sense.
But what about those who need a replacement for Premiere Pro, Audition, After Effects etc.

You get over 30 products with the package. I only pay £30/m for all of this, not one app.
So for me, it is a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:
But what about those who need a replacement for Poremiere Pro, Audition, After Effects etc.
Go no further than DaVinci Resolve, which has all three built in, is free, and is an amazing program. So amazing, in fact, that a lot of people are dumping Premiere for DaVinci. And why shouldn't they, since Hollywood studios are using it as well (particularly the Fusion section, which is like After Effects on steroids). Like I said, it's free, but there is also a paid version that has added features. Most people will be just fine with the free version, however.

Ok, I am sure in that context it makes sense.
But what about those who need a replacement for Poremiere Pro, Audition, After Effects etc.

You get over 30 products with the package. I only pay £30/m for all of this, not one app.
So for me, it is a worthwhile investment.
I second the Davinci Resolve recommendation and the Affinity products. Affinity is now at v1.9 so I am not sure if they will do a paid update to v2 or keep the one-time-purchase model... but I wouldn't be upset about having to pay for a v2. After all, v1.x has lasted me for years and been stellar. As for Davinci Resolve, it is an incredible piece of software that Blackmagic continues to innovate in leaps and bounds. After Effects is the only outlier with Adobe products since plugins like RedGiant's Trapcode Suite only work in AE. But the need for that plugin suite will likely fade the more people work with fusion in Resolve. Just my opinion of course.

or

I really try to move to Capture One several times and it has a lot of cool things that Lightroom should have, but the catalogue management is not still ready. Maybe because I was using Lightroom during the last year but I can get the workflow.

I never used On1 so maybe is a good moment to try now that I have less photography job.

or

Interesting on this one as I have the Monogram controller, that has support for this...
I use the Premiere Pro for either conversion of videos, editing Church Concerts, Dramas etc. or just learning.

I use Audition, but then I also have RX 8 Standard now, had previous versions before.
We currently use the Final Cut Pro 90 day trial they are giving to everyone for editing as the others say they don't like Premiere Pro (plans to build a dedicated Windows Editing rig though here on AMD Ryzen)

Lots to think about, thanks for the tips @robgb

Top Bottom