What's new

Issue! Windows 10 + Cubase 8 Pro + VEPro6 Configs

The Darris

I've recently built a new rig running the latest versions of all software in the title. I'm doing this all on the same machine as I really don't want to work with a slave PC. I've noticed that I'm getting opposite results based on recommended configurations listed by both developers of said software and community members. As it sits:

Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Cubase 8.0.40 Pro
Kontakt 5.7.3
VEPro 6.0.16778

My CPU sits at around 7% usage for Cubase when I have "Activate Multi-Processing" disabled which is contrary to what other users recommend. In fact, a colleague disabled it on a cue today and said that it wouldn't even play back the audio correctly. I'm experiencing opposite results with better playback and performance. When I do have it activated, I have ASIO guard turned off as it just doesn't play well when using VEPro.

VEPro 6 is only set to 1 Thread per instance with Kontakt's Multi-Thread support maxed at 16 threads. Again, user manuals recommend disabling Multi-thread support in Kontakt when used as a plugin and if in VEPro, divide your threads up evenly among your instances. ie; I have 5 instances of VEPro running within the server so I had it set at 3 threads leaving an extra one for, essentially, Cubase. When I had those set based on recommended settings, my cpu (i7-7820x 8 core) was idling around 35-40% usage and would spike in Kontakt instances causing minor pops and crackles from time to time.

I thought my buffer rate was too high or something but it was at 512 (I'm used to working at 256 on my old i7-2600K rig.

So, where do I go from here. I'm basically getting significantly better performance while idling with those settings set in opposition of what both community and devs have recommended for optimizing their software for the most efficient performance. I am slightly new to VEPro but I'm not new to Cubase as I've been an avid user of it since version 7.

Thoughts from the community?

Cheers,

Chris

Thoughts from the community?

Cheers,

Chris

If it's working it working right? Now don't touch anything and go make music!

Those settings seem to work for most people but I had too go through some configurations before I found the one that works on my system.
I can check for you what exactly those turned out to be, if needed, but they'll probably not be the same as yours exactly.

You can leave the asio guard on globally btw. and just set it per plugin (in this case vepro).
It helps somewhat if you run synths (diva for example) locally with the guard on.

If it's working it working right? Now don't touch anything and go make music!

Those settings seem to work for most people but I had too go through some configurations before I found the one that works on my system.
I can check for you what exactly those turned out to be, if needed, but they'll probably not be the same as yours exactly.

You can leave the asio guard on globally btw. and just set it per plugin (in this case vepro).
It helps somewhat if you run synths (diva for example) locally with the guard on.
I'd be curious what see what your settings are. Just as a means to test. Where do I set ASIO guard "per plugin" at?

I'd be curious what see what your settings are. Just as a means to test. Where do I set ASIO guard "per plugin" at?

2 threads in vepro, running 4 instances total
2 threads for kontakt
multi-processing in Cubase on
asio guard off (apparently!? think i forgot to set it when updating to 9.5)
buffer at 512 but I think I can go lower now have a much leaner template. Haven't tried yet..

You set the asio guard per plugin under Studio>plugin manager>vst instruments
select Vepro, then click the 'i' in the left corner, you can turn it off there.

Cheers

Top Bottom