What's new

Is Vienna Ensemble Pro a DAW?

I have installed VEPro, testing with Reaper, but I can only make VEPro receive MIDI on channel 1. When I switch to channel to, it is not received by VEPro. To troubleshoot I am only using Track 1. First, Track 1 is set to send to VEPro on MIDI channel 1, and it is received by VEPro. Then I change Track 1 to send on MIDI channel 2, and no MIDI is received by VEPro. See pics below. WHat am I missing?

1715304986811.png

The second digit is the midi channel. Set that to "All" (omni) and use Kontakt to specify the MIDI channels.

In other words, load all of your kontakt patches inside the same instance of kontakt, and set the MIDI channels in the Kontakt headers.
Otherwise, you would need to set the second digit to "2" (in the VEP rack) to only receive messages coming in on channel 2.

1715304986811.png

The second digit is the midi channel. Set that to "All" (omni) and use Kontakt to specify the MIDI channels.

In other words, load all of your kontakt patches inside the same instance of kontakt, and set the MIDI channels in the Kontakt headers.
Otherwise, you would need to set the second digit to "2" (in the VEP rack) to only receive messages coming in on channel 2.
Great reply! Will test this after grocery shopping...

Thanks,
Hans

Thanks again for the help here. What is the typical configuration of a VEPro setup?

Is the audio from individual VEPro instruments routed back to the DAW and recorded onto individual tracks for mixing in the DAW?

Or are the VEPro instruments typically mixed in VEPro and subsequently submixes (or master mix) routed to the DAW, and recorded there?

It looks like you have a handle on it, but the answer to your original question is no, it's not a DAW.

And as Larry hinted, they came out with it when we had to use multiple computers for a large template. It takes the place of audio and MIDI interfaces on each computer, sending MIDI and audio over Ethernet instead - with sample accuracy.

So with a screen sharing program (MS Remote Desktop or built into macOS), slave computers behave like another program running in a separate window on the host machine. And you can also run it on the host machine - it doesn't care.

Now, where to put MIDI processing plug-ins... if you're asking about your own, I think they run inside Kontakt? But I'm actually not sure about other ones, because I don't know how the MIDI signal path works.

OK, I have created the basic VEPro templates along these lines! :)
There are lots of free project files on VSL’s music pages that the mock-up artists/composers have provided for educational purposes. You can go and download those and see how they set theirs up.

If you browse through the following page you’ll find some (not all tracks have accompanying tutorial files but many do):

For example, Stravinsky’s "Rite of Spring" Part 1 Complete by Jay Bacal has the Cubase and VEP files. You won’t be able to play it back successfully unless you own the libraries used, but you can still see how it was all routed together.

There are lots of free project files on VSL’s music pages that the mock-up artists/composers have provided for educational purposes. You can go and download those and see how they set theirs up.

If you browse through the following page you’ll find some (not all tracks have accompanying tutorial files but many do):

For example, Stravinsky’s "Rite of Spring" Part 1 Complete by Jay Bacal has the Cubase and VEP files. You won’t be able to play it back successfully unless you own the libraries used, but you can still see how it was all routed together.
Thanks Darren!

It looks like you have a handle on it, but the answer to your original question is no, it's not a DAW.

And as Larry hinted, they came out with it when we had to use multiple computers for a large template. It takes the place of audio and MIDI interfaces on each computer, sending MIDI and audio over Ethernet instead - with sample accuracy.

So with a screen sharing program (MS Remote Desktop or built into macOS), slave computers behave like another program running in a separate window on the host machine. And you can also run it on the host machine - it doesn't care.

Now, where to put MIDI processing plug-ins... if you're asking about your own, I think they run inside Kontakt? But I'm actually not sure about other ones, because I don't know how the MIDI signal path works.
Nick, the plugin processes MIDI but it is in VST3 format and is loaded on one of the DAW's instrument tracks. You can read more about it here: https://artvista.net/intonator.html

Top Bottom